C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received a letter from GM regarding clutch warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Received a letter from GM regarding clutch warranty

I have a 2012 GS manual. GM is extending the warranty on the clutch for ten years/120,000 miles.
They claim that if the wrong fluid is used the pedal may go the the floor and the vehicle could start in any gear causing the car to unintentionally move. You would think they would not cover damage from using the wrong fluid. Anyone else get this notice?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

That's not the only cause, the clutch master cylinder and the slave master cylinder have a weak design, causing clutch pedal to stick to the floor. So this is a TSB/Recall
Meaning they will fix at no charge only if you have clutch pedal sticking to the floor.
So not a recall where everybody brings their car in to get fixed. only if you have the above problem will they fix it.
I know with the fix the MC and Slave are new design and recommend Dot 4.
This has happened to me twice. But the dealership is doing the fix at no charge.

Last edited by yellowmnm; 10-02-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I used Rangers fluid swap method these past few months. Dont have any issues nor did i have any in the first place, more preventative if anything.

I will say that the LS7 clutch is more numb that what Ive been used to in the past (c5s and LS3 C6) 7 months on and 3k miles later I still havnt gotten used to the engagement point. The shifter like most Corvettes is notchy which I can and have forgiven but this woky clutch I cannot.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Got one today too, but with 7 years and over 100k mi left on the "warranty" I will just wait and see what happens.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:04 PM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I got a letter.

If your clutch sticks to the floor and you take it to the dealer, what does the "fix" involve? Do they replace the master and slave cylinders?

Mine started sticking last year and I ended up changing the master cylinder myself and using Ranger method. But later I installed a remote bleeder. Every once in awhile I flush the fluid using GM 88958860.

Even so I can tell my clutch is not 100%. Frequently when pushing the pedal to up shift I feel slight resistance. While the pedal is going down it feels normal with short spots of resistance. After completing the gear change you can pump the pedal and usually not have the resistance occur.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:30 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I just got the same letter today.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default talked to my mechanic

Originally Posted by c6miller
I have a 2012 GS manual. GM is extending the warranty on the clutch for ten years/120,000 miles.
They claim that if the wrong fluid is used the pedal may go the the floor and the vehicle could start in any gear causing the car to unintentionally move. You would think they would not cover damage from using the wrong fluid. Anyone else get this notice?
He's a great guy, Mark at Titus-Will in Olympia, WA. He said that fluid should be changed every two years/24K so I will have him do so on my next oil change.......

Get notified of new replies

To Received a letter from GM regarding clutch warranty

Quick Reply: Received a letter from GM regarding clutch warranty