C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's Why the LS Is So Darn Good

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 03:29 PM
JonathonK
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's Why the LS Is So Darn Good

It doesn’t matter if it’s in a Corvette, a street truck, a classic muscle car, a supercar, or an off-road desert racer, the LS is one of the best engine packages out there.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Drifting, Hence guys that don't know where the edge of grip is, or how to set up a car to get the best grip, and over slip the rear end out to burn up the rear tires quickly, and end up going slower around the track instead.

And the funny part, it's really easy to pan set up a car to turn it into a drift car, but a lot harder to set up the car and have the talent to turn in fast lap times instead.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 PM
beamg5
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Nothing but praise for the LS, from a fella that seems to really know what he's talking about !!

Now the big question...........unless GM was feeling pressure from the EPA, for stricter emissions and/or better MPG figures (now or in the near future,) why in the world did they feel compelled to seemingly reinvent the wheel by introducing the LT1 in the C7s?

I can't believe that a redesigned engine was necessary to obtain an additional 25HP, which is as much about marketing as it is performance !! Hell, engineering could have gotten that (and much more) from the LS3 without even "breaking a sweat."

Comments welcome ????????????

Gary
Old 10-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Drifting, Hence guys that don't know where the edge of grip is, or how to set up a car to get the best grip, and over slip the rear end out to burn up the rear tires quickly, and end up going slower around the track instead.

And the funny part, it's really easy to pan set up a car to turn it into a drift car, but a lot harder to set up the car and have the talent to turn in fast lap times instead.
Why does this forum have such a hard time understanding that drifting is not about lap times? We know this. We are also quite aware that we burn through a million sets of tires.

Drifting is a sport of driver skill and car control. It IS about guys who know where the edge of grip is and how to set a car up to get the best grip. Drifting, ironically, is all about grip. Without it you spin.

Drifters are exceptional drivers. You don't see them soiling their undies when the *** end of their car steps out at 100mph. The skills you learn drifting do help with your lap times. You know exactly how far your car will go before you reach a point of no-return. Plus, it's always fun to take students around sideways or pass someone in a cloud of smoke.

Last edited by Black0ut; 10-06-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I used to drif a 63 Pontiac Tempest Le Mans back in the mid 60's. Before it was a popular endeavor I think. Not like now of course but I could hold it on the center line exiting a right hand turn for a while. Thing is it meant running the stop sign...

Hell every corner I took was with a drift. Different times.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by beamg5
Nothing but praise for the LS, from a fella that seems to really know what he's talking about !!

Now the big question...........unless GM was feeling pressure from the EPA, for stricter emissions and/or better MPG figures (now or in the near future,) why in the world did they feel compelled to seemingly reinvent the wheel by introducing the LT1 in the C7s?

I can't believe that a redesigned engine was necessary to obtain an additional 25HP, which is as much about marketing as it is performance !! Hell, engineering could have gotten that (and much more) from the LS3 without even "breaking a sweat."

Comments welcome ????????????

Gary

LT1 motor has variable valve timing and where they picked up most of the HP. The direct inject was more for clipping cylinders of fuel to gain MPG, but that whole fiasco is biting them bit time instead.

But the part that I really love, is the TVS-2300 thrown on the LT-4 z06 that is heat soaking it quickly, instead of just coming up with a new TVS-2600 with better intake air cooling that would not have to be spun so hard instead. Or better yet, not shove a roots blower on a road coarse car, since it going to have heat soak problems when run too long anyways instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-07-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Black0ut
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
LT1 motor has variable valve timing and where they picked up most of the HP. The direct inject was more for clipping cylinders of fuel to gain MPH, but that whole fiasco is biting them bit time instead.

But the part that I really love, is the TVS-2300 thrown on the LT-4 z06 that is heat soaking it quickly, instead of just coming up with a new TVS-2600 with better intake air cooling that would not have to be spun so hard instead. Or better yet, not shove a roots blower on a road coarse car, since it going to have heat soak problems when run too long anyways instead.

bypassing the EPA seams pretty easy. If VW did it, GM could have done it

C7Z06 should have been NA. A flat plane crank, 9000RPM, ITB (think BMW M5) screamer. Or at least something innovative.
The following users liked this post:
Tropicana (10-06-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,699 Posts

But the Rustang exhaust note will always sound sweeter than the LS's......
Old 04-01-2016, 06:31 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
But the Rustang exhaust note will always sound sweeter than the LS's......
they also make more hp (not just more hp/liter) in a naturally aspirated version than any production LSx based engine (that I can think of)
Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Black0ut
Why does this forum have such a hard time understanding that drifting is not about lap times? We know this. We are also quite aware that we burn through a million sets of tires.

Drifting is a sport of driver skill and car control. It IS about guys who know where the edge of grip is and how to set a car up to get the best grip. Drifting, ironically, is all about grip. Without it you spin.

Drifters are exceptional drivers. You don't see them soiling their undies when the *** end of their car steps out at 100mph. The skills you learn drifting do help with your lap times. You know exactly how far your car will go before you reach a point of no-return. Plus, it's always fun to take students around sideways or pass someone in a cloud of smoke.
I don't begrudge anyone what their preference is, but I respectfully disagree -- drifting and race car driving are both skills, but two very different skills. Sure, there is a small amount of cross-over, but hardly interchangeable. It's like saying figure skating and speed skating are similar skillsets because both use skates and happen on ice. It can't be said that one is more skilled than the other, because the manifestation and subsequent measurement of that skill is entirely different.

Style points vs. lap times.
A F1 driver will get his butt kicked in a Drifting event.
Similarly, a Drifter will get his butt kicked in an F1 race.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I don't begrudge anyone what their preference is, but I respectfully disagree -- drifting and race car driving are both skills, but two very different skills. Sure, there is a small amount of cross-over, but hardly interchangeable. It's like saying figure skating and speed skating are similar skillsets because both use skates and happen on ice. It can't be said that one is more skilled than the other, because the manifestation and subsequent measurement of that skill is entirely different.

isn't Ken Block a successful rally car driver and drifter?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
isn't Ken Block a successful rally car driver and drifter?
A man can be a great chef *and* know how to hang drywall -- that doesn't make it the same skill.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:23 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Subjective vs objective, leaving it to the judges vs knocking your opponent out. The ultimate is a knock out artist with style, like Ali or Senna. Drifting isn't in the same league.

Last edited by v26278; 04-02-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

A man can be a great chef *and* know how to hang drywall -- that doesn't make it the same skill.
hanging it is easy, do i have to tape it?

Get notified of new replies

To Here's Why the LS Is So Darn Good

Quick Reply: Here's Why the LS Is So Darn Good