C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To "PCV Catch Can" or not ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I put one on my 08 a few ago and I drain it about twice a year and I get about a shot glass of oil from it.Only takes about 3 minutes to drain it.I think I got my from CCA for about $110.00....PS: I have never tracked my vette,i just get on it once in a while to clean the spark plugs and blow the suut out of the engine..
Any photos of where/how you mounted it ? Its pretty tight in there and then there's that big black box attached to the air intake system that appears to be in the way.
Thanks
NSF
Old 10-14-2015, 07:21 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

NSF, I use the EE version installed when I picked up my car with 55 miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Any photos of where/how you mounted it ? Its pretty tight in there and then there's that big black box attached to the air intake system that appears to be in the way.
Thanks
NSF
With the factory intake it's a little harder to mount. I have a Varram and its pretty easy. I believe you will have to install it a little lower. I am out of town but when I get back I will take some pics of mine for you.
Not So Fast (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 10:20 PM
loudvolvo
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every motor is different so everyone will have different opinions on their oil consumption. In MY case....i bought the $50 one from corvette mods and had to empty that tiny thing every 150ish miles. Do yourself a favor and buy an Elite Engineering one. thats what I eventually had to do. Looks great and super easy to install. Looks semi factory too. one thing that i've noticed since the install is my gas mileage has increase slightly.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I read about these cans some time ago on another thread. It sounds like the days before PCV (late '60s?) when engines just had a metal tube ("breather") coming out of the crankcase, pointing down, and crankcase oil that got pushed out would just drip on the road. Only with the can, it gets collected instead.

I remember my dad's 1959 Rambler had the tube, which was very visible if you popped the hood.

My '88 Harley had a rubber tube from the crankcase to the air cleaner which would get the element all oily after a while. I made a new tube, rerouted it and let it drip on the road.

Ah, the good old days of simplicity.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:21 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Actually, the can collects / coelesces the oil out of the crankcase vapors, then the engine burns what's left. Nice way to help keep the air cleaner, along with the catalytic converter.

I have the older version of the EE. It came with a mounting bracket designed for the LS2. Consequently, mine is mounted low, below the engine covers. It doesn't seem to have any I'll effects, there is always some oil in it.

The new version had a longer mount bracket which takes into account of the Heimholtz resonator on LS3 motors with the added benefit of easier emptying.

EE's support is great too. I'm going to pick up one of their tunnel plates next.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Thanks
NSF
It mounts on the left bank with the bracket, and with the stock intake you can adjust it down lower with the set screw in the bracket. I have the K&N aircharger intake on my, so no problems. Get you one!!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Thanks
NSF
You can cut that "Muffler" box off and get a 1 1/2 PVC plumbers end cap to plug it.....
Old 10-15-2015, 01:08 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This would not apply to the modified cars, but I'm curious if installing the catch can voids the factory warranty?
Old 10-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Thanks
NSF
NSF:Go on CCA,they have the photos of the installation.
Not So Fast (10-15-2015)

Quick Reply: To "PCV Catch Can" or not ????