C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arco gasoline a top tier gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:46 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Arco gasoline a top tier gasoline

That is what ARCO advertises now for months. Has anyone here used it with any problems or no problems using it?
I know Chevron gasoline is the preferred gas here on forum.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:01 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LS WON
That is what ARCO advertises now for months. Has anyone here used it with any problems or no problems using it?
I know Chevron gasoline is the preferred gas here on forum.
Yes, Arco is top tier. http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

I use Chevron, but Texaco is the same thing (same company now). Both have Techron already in them. Not sure if that really makes any difference or not.

If I can't find those, Shell is my other preference. But any top tier gasoline is fine. The top tier detergents really do make a difference vs the cheap, off brands.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

In my area, I am not sure you know what you are getting. Every time I see a gas station getting fuel, it is from a nondescript tanker truck. I no longer see Shell, Mobile etc tanker trucks. Been like this for years. She'll and Texaco stations are slowly going away here.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I was surprised to see Valero on the Top Tier list.

I use Arco for the SUV but strive to fill up with Chevron in the Vette.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

It seems like a lot of brands have been added to the list since the last time I checked it. I still always use Chevron.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:28 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

It they have passed the tests and paid their money to be on the list then I would say they are OK until proven otherwise. I think GM et. al. would have a lot of lawyers on their back if they tried to sell gas that was different from what they used in the tests.

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
In my area, I am not sure you know what you are getting. Every time I see a gas station getting fuel, it is from a nondescript tanker truck. I no longer see Shell, Mobile etc tanker trucks. Been like this for years. She'll and Texaco stations are slowly going away here.
Just because the major oil companies now concentrate on producing fuel rather than shipping it doesn't mean anything. All gas comes from the same tanks and can be delivered in the same trucks. It is the additives that are added by the driver when he loads his truck that makes the difference between the cheapest crap you get at the Mom&Pop and Top Tier. Top Tier stations pay for some expensive additives proven to work well and Mom&Pop pay as little as possible to meet the federal standards which were found to cause significantly higher warranty costs for the car manufacturers. That's why the car companies created the Top Tier organization.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:32 AM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Valero's crap. Even my 2014 Silverado 5.3 hates it.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I wish we had Chevron, Arco or Sunoco around here.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:23 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,140 Posts

I noticed a difference going with a gas not on top tier sunoco.

My gas gauge took a crap. Added a bottle of techron and some fesh vpower shell and all was ok.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:37 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I stopped buying Arco a few months ago when they added 10 cents per gallon for using a debit card vs. cash.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:56 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

In about 3,000 miles of using Arco, my fuel gauge quit. Since the car was new, the dealer pulled the tank and replaced the sending unit. I switched to Chevron and more than 100K miles later, the problem never returned.

I stopped at an Arco with my truck for the 1st time in 7 years and found they only take cash or debit cards with a $.35 surcharge.
They also have their pumps set up with regular as the center button choice, which is different than any other I've seen. I'd guess that's to fool the unsuspecting occasional customer into buy the higher priced gas. Don't ask why I know.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
In about 3,000 miles of using Arco, my fuel gauge quit. Since the car was new, the dealer pulled the tank and replaced the sending unit. I switched to Chevron and more than 100K miles later, the problem never returned.

I stopped at an Arco with my truck for the 1st time in 7 years and found they only take cash or debit cards with a $.35 surcharge.
They also have their pumps set up with regular as the center button choice, which is different than any other I've seen. I'd guess that's to fool the unsuspecting occasional customer into buy the higher priced gas. Don't ask why I know.
And we are to trust them, that they are buying top tier gas from the refineries? Just like the charge extra for the winter and summer blends, then shut down refineries during peak gas demand to hike the prices.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I noticed a difference going with a gas not on top tier sunoco.

My gas gauge took a crap. Added a bottle of techron and some fesh vpower shell and all was ok.
wAS THAT the Chevron Fuel injector cleaner addictive or the Chevron Gas Treatment bottle?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:52 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

This is what I was afraid of hearing. So here it would seem that Chevron is still the favorite safe fuel to use for your Corvette.
Arco is the lowest cost gas you can get with Costco(another top tier fuel) near Arco's price.
Chevron gas is the most expensive gas to get around here.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I use Shell first with the rewards discount card at the pump and Shell credit card....gives me 3 cents off at the pump and 5 cents off on my credit card if I buy over 45gallons. No problems with it...I use Chevron when I cant find Shell or if the price drops as low or lower on the Chevron....never had a problem with either.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Jeeeze ... and to think, I usually fill up with Walmart 91 octane.

I guess my engine is now completely ruined!

I am going to go shoot myself in the head with my .45
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Jeeeze ... and to think, I usually fill up with Walmart 91 octane.

I guess my engine is now completely ruined!

I am going to go shoot myself in the head with my .45
That's way too messy. A well placed .22 will still do the job.
On second thought, I'll trade a cyanide pill for your .45. I mean after all, living with a junk engine must be torture.

Get notified of new replies

To Arco gasoline a top tier gasoline

Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

I have never gotten bad gas at any station, anywhere in the country, including Canada, and I have been driving for a long time. I only avoid stations where I see the tanker there filling the fuel tanks. I don't rely on the government telling me about top tier gas either.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:15 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

most metropolitan areas are served by one major refinery that provides gasoline to all the "Top Tier" and "Mom & Pop" stations. When supplies are tight, there is less for the small operators and the price margin between the Chevron/Shell/Texaco and Rotten Robbies gets narrower. When supplies are high, the prices at the convenience store stations drops below the top tier guys by a greater amount. The reason why the auto manufacturers are pushing the use of "Top Tier" is because they are probably being compensated by the "Top Tier" brands. All the "special additives" BS is just that, BS. I'd like to see an independent study of the comparative internal condition of engines run a similar number of miles on, say, Chevron and some local convenience store gasoline. Not one done by the car manufacturers or the oil companies. I'm betting they would show relatively insignificant differences. Meantime all you folks are paying maybe $.50 extra a gallon to burn the same stuff. I've run ARCO in my cars for years and have never had a single problem with any of the vehicle's engines due to excessive accumulation of dirt. Those el cheapo stations might be causing global warming, though.

Last edited by RagTop69; 10-19-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:29 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
That's because the stuff is all coming from the same refinery. The oil companies are not going to build individual refineries in each market area because it would be too expensive. They have reciprocal agreements with each other. They keep track of the usage by brand and exchange credits with each other. Here in N. Cal, the Chevron refinery in Richmond supplies virtually everybody. In L.A. they are probably also served by just one refinery. In less "environmentally correct" parts of the country these large refineries my cover multiple states. I guess the drivers can dump whatever they should, or want to, into loads going to different brand affiliates, but, otherwise, it all comes from the same cow.

Quick Reply: Arco gasoline a top tier gasoline