C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brand of gasoline do you purchase for your Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:50 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Recently I have had fuel related issues in my "03" E250 Ford Van and my "06" base coupe. Check engine lights in both. Took the Vette to my local dealer and he said I had a weak drivers side cat but before changing any parts to try changing fuels. I had been using a non top tier fuel in both vehicles. I put 3 containers of Lucas FI Cleaner in the Vette and within 3 days the CEL went OFF!! My Ford van code indicated a "lean" situation on one side. I figured that the only way to have it be lean was if an injector was partially clogged. Mind you I'm no mechanic here, just seemed like common sense. 3 containers of Lucas FI Cleaner and the same thing, the CEL went OFF!!!
Since then I've switched exclusively to top tier fuels. I called Lucas to ask that if I couldn't get a top tier fuel if I put a shot glass of their FI cleaner in at fill up would I essentially be making a non top tier fuel a top tier fuel. They gave me a definite maybe.
When I Goggled TT Fuels I was quite surprised who wasn't TT and who was. Sunoco wasn't and Costco was! Anyway, before you spend any big bucks correcting the CEL overload the fuel tank with FI cleaner, the Lucas label states you can't put in too much.
My $.02, Ron
Old 10-22-2015, 06:18 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Top Tier when available- always 93 Octane regardless
Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by maddog07
here in the Midwest, we have BP, which used to be Mobil/Standard/Amoco.

The word on the street is that it is ethanol free. .
You don't need the word on the street. Federal law mandates that if ethanol is used it must say so on the pump.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by beamg5
I live in a small town in rural SW Michigan, and as such, only have two local stations to choose from. Luckily, one of the two is a Shell station, and I purchase their 93-octane, "V-Power NiTRO+" exclusively .

When traveling, I'm not the least adverse to using Chevron, Amoco, Sunoco, or any other "top tier" brand -but- always at the 93-octane level.

Gary
Sunoco is not on the top tier list.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:02 PM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

BP or SHELL 93 octane. Usually 3-4 months with one then switch
Old 10-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Kroger. We get a discount based on how many Kroger groceries we've bought lately.
I have searched the Web several times and can't find the answer......What brand of gasoline does Kroger sell? People seem to think it's Shell because of the cents off you get by shopping at Kroger. Does anyone know????
Old 10-22-2015, 07:25 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Locally I use a fuel distributor that has a pump out behind their office with 93 octane, no ethanol. They also offer other specialty fuels as well. When traveling I will try and find Sunoco or Wal Mart if I can't easily find any non-ethanol. Those companies are reported to use American oil, nothing foreign or from the middle east. There are a few other companies that use American oil, but I can't think of who they are right now.
There really is a much better "seat of the pants" performance feel with the non-ethanol gas, not to mention, 3 or 4 miles to the gallon improvement with non-ethanol, but yes, it does cost more!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR LAT
Locally I use a fuel distributor that has a pump out behind their office with 93 octane, no ethanol. They also offer other specialty fuels as well. When traveling I will try and find Sunoco or Wal Mart if I can't easily find any non-ethanol. Those companies are reported to use American oil, nothing foreign or from the middle east. There are a few other companies that use American oil, but I can't think of who they are right now.
There really is a much better "seat of the pants" performance feel with the non-ethanol gas, not to mention, 3 or 4 miles to the gallon improvement with non-ethanol, but yes, it does cost more!
Phillips 66 is all US oil and top tier
Old 10-22-2015, 08:09 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
Phillips 66 is all US oil and top tier
We don't have Phillips 66 here, but good to know when traveling, thanks.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:44 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

She'll 93 octane
Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Since my first vette my 03 C5 and with my 13 C6 I have used Walmarts Murphy and Krogers gas. In Louisville we have reformulated gas, or as we car guys call,it, crap gas. It is horrible on gas Milage and performance. On the road I get better gas Milage and performance out of any of our cars as soon as I get the crap,gas out of the tank.
I get some of my best gas Milage and performance out of the Shell station by the corvette plant and museum. I love going to Bowling Green! It is just about 100 miles from my house in Louisville!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:11 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Any top tier when on the road.

Around town, I usually buy Shell on Tuesday (20 cents off premium and Giant Food discounts on top of that) or Exxon.

Last edited by owc6; 10-22-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:18 PM
NMJoe
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Not a great selection here in the great SW. So I use Shell first with my fuel rewards, and Costco second, both 91 octane @ 5,280' to > 6,000'.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BROCKYJACK
BP or SHELL 93 octane. Usually 3-4 months with one then switch
BP sells ARCO gas.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:21 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by maddog07
here in the Midwest, we have BP, which used to be Mobil/Standard/Amoco.
They have 93 octane which is their "gold" grade, also used to be called Amoco Ultimate.
The word on the street is that it is ethanol free. Got this info from those that use a lot of fuel in small, air cooled, gasoline engines which are typically plagued by ethanol sludge formation problems and vapor locking in the hot summer months. I have also had problems with the ethanol blends in my own personal small air cooled engines in the past. A few years ago, I switched to the BP 93 octane in all my air-cooled engines - haven't had a single problem since.

So I've used BP Gold/Ultimate 93 octane in everything air-cooled and in my motorcycle for a few years now and it has proven to be the best fuel I've ever used. Most 2-wheel riders fill-up at BP with the Gold/Ultimate/93 octane fuel – its commonly known and accepted to be the best fuel available around these parts.

So... when we got our '13 GS early this year, about the second tank of fuel, I went to BP and filled 'er up. No BS, after filling, started the car and while sitting at exit from the station to the street idling, waiting for traffic to clear, the LS3 began to idle more even and smoothly and even sounded a little different – that fast – within a couple of minutes of filling up. And there is no doubt the car runs better and accelerates better on this fuel. This is not the first time, I've had this experience switching to the BP 93 gas. So I get this fuel every time I get a chance for the GS and also for my 2-wheeler and all my air-cooled engines.

QuikTrip's are prolific here in MO/KS and are listed as a top tier fuel. We buy fuel almost exclusively from QT for our normal everyday driver cars. This past summer they started advertising/carrying a fuel that they market as "ethanol free" - 91 octane. However, they charge about 50 cents a gallon more for this ethanol-free 91 octane than they do for their 10% ethanol 91 octane. And the BP 93 octane(which is supposedly ethanol free) is the same price generally as the 91 octane ethanol blend at QT. So BP 93 for the GS whenever possible and it does make a noticeable improvement in the idle performance and acceleration of our ’13 GS LS3.
We have ARCO here which is run by BP.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:41 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

Always used 91 chevron. If i can find a higher rating, i would go for it. But pretty much always chevron on the 2 vettes
Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 AM
Crow Hunter
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Here in SW Louisiana, Conoco is my choice as it doesn't have ethanol. so I get better MPG as well as more power.

Get notified of new replies

To Which brand of gasoline do you purchase for your Corvette?

Old 10-23-2015, 02:13 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Well truth be told in Kentucky, Marathon is the sole producer that provides gas to all of the stations in kentucky. Somehow there is an arrangement that they will add a particular brands additives to the gas before its delivered, as so I have been recently told. I always thought the individual stations were adding their brands additives after receiving their gas from Marathon.

Having a sole provider of gas in Kentucky has caused pricing problems. Out gas prices stay higher, especially in the larger cities, longer when they should be going down. They are never behind in raising prices.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 AM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Pretty much anything as long as it's 93
Old 10-23-2015, 08:15 AM
scott1094
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky High
You don't need the word on the street. Federal law mandates that if ethanol is used it must say so on the pump.
Not true. It is up to each state as to a requirement to list alcohol content on the pump. Michigan does not require it and I would expect that some other states don't either. Our local Sam's Club does not list alcohol yet I can smell it in the fuel I pump into my wife's vehicle.

Scott

Quick Reply: Which brand of gasoline do you purchase for your Corvette?