C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Removal on 2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:24 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

Default Oil Pan Removal on 2007

Leaking pan gasket and the car is way out of warranty so I will need to do it myself. I have replaced many oil pan gaskets but not on a C-6. How do you raise the engine far enough to get to the front pan bolts and then clear the oil pick-up on the way down. I have floor jacks and stands but no lift. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:58 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Leaking pan gasket and the car is way out of warranty so I will need to do it myself. I have replaced many oil pan gaskets but not on a C-6. How do you raise the engine far enough to get to the front pan bolts and then clear the oil pick-up on the way down. I have floor jacks and stands but no lift. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Check out this thread where I posted what's basically a How To guide.

The thread was originally meant for doing a cam swap but all of the steps listed end up being the same as what you'd need to do to drop the oilpan.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-tricks.html
The following 2 users liked this post by subfloor@centurytrans:
cmonkey713 (10-28-2015), sevinn (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,013 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Yep, engine stays where its at (just braced in place) and the front sub frame is dropped down out of the way instead.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:56 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

It looks like from reading the posts dropping the rack is the best for me. If worse comes to worse I could drop the cradle as a last resort. Thanks to all for the help on this.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:58 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

It looks like from reading the posts dropping the rack is the best for me. If worse comes to worse I could drop the cradle as a last resort. Thanks to all for the help on this.
While you can do a cam swap by just pulling the steering rack, I'm almost positive you can't change the pan gasket without dropping the cradle.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Thanks

This now looks like it may a winter down time project if the cradle must be dropped when there're no other projects.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:47 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks

This now looks like it may a winter down time project if the cradle must be dropped when there're no other projects.
Let me know if want some help. Never done this before but good with tools. I also have a set of shop manuals for 2008 but some of it may be the same.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Let me know if want some help. Never done this before but good with tools. I also have a set of shop manuals for 2008 but some of it may be the same.
I may have access to a lift for this. Also check for new PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:15 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default oil pan sweat or oil pan leak?

Is oil dripping on the floor or just showing up on the oil pan exterior?

I have a 2007 also and the last oil change was done by my son who is a master mechanic originally with GM and now with Mercedes for the last 15 years. I noticed a little oil film on the oil pan but never a drop on the garage floor where the car has parked for years. My son checked it and told me that it was oil sweat through the aluminum pan and there was no leakage at the gasket. Oil pans sweating oil is a fairly common happening according to him and is not that unusual with aluminum oil pans on many different makes. It doesn't happen with all of them but a fairly high percentage of them.

You may want to read trough the following thread from the forum before going though all the effort only to find the oil film still reappears.

"oil pan sweat" vs. "oil pan leak"

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pan-leak.html

Last edited by RJRSW; 10-29-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:49 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The construction of the oil pan gasket is not prone to leaks. Before doing any undoing, retorque all the pan bolts, clean the area thoroughly and re-check for leaks. If the leaks are at the junction of the pan, front or rear covers, and block, you'd be better off by spraying some brake cleaner on the spot and adding a dab of silicone sealer.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

If the aluminum pan is somewhat porous would a powder coat on the outside of the pan seal it or go to the extreme and have it chrome plated? Just thinking out of the box here. Would there be any product or procedure that could be done to the inside to stop the "sweating"? This is an interesting topic that there seems to be no real solution at this point.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If the aluminum pan is somewhat porous would a powder coat on the outside of the pan seal it or go to the extreme and have it chrome plated? Just thinking out of the box here. Would there be any product or procedure that could be done to the inside to stop the "sweating"? This is an interesting topic that there seems to be no real solution at this point.
I would turn it around and say that instead of no real solution at this point, there is no real problem at this point. Many people (not neccessarily you, but many) have never looked at the bottom of the oil pan in a car until they got a Corvette and took a great interest in it. Some are under the car with a toothbrush cleaning the undercarriage...LOL. But seriously, my point is that most cars have oil on the outside of the pan, whether a sweat, a drip, a leak etc. This is far more common than a perfectly clean, dry pan. Even the leftover oil that is on the pan from when the oil was changed will spread out and attract dirt, making the pan look dirty. Unless it is dripping on the garage floor, I would suggest not worrying about it. Even if it is dripping, the first thing to do is go around and re-torque the bolts, clean it up and see what happens. This is a situation where more is not neccessarily better also.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by cclive
I would turn it around and say that instead of no real solution at this point, there is no real problem at this point. Many people (not neccessarily you, but many) have never looked at the bottom of the oil pan in a car until they got a Corvette and took a great interest in it. Some are under the car with a toothbrush cleaning the undercarriage...LOL. But seriously, my point is that most cars have oil on the outside of the pan, whether a sweat, a drip, a leak etc. This is far more common than a perfectly clean, dry pan. Even the leftover oil that is on the pan from when the oil was changed will spread out and attract dirt, making the pan look dirty. Unless it is dripping on the garage floor, I would suggest not worrying about it. Even if it is dripping, the first thing to do is go around and re-torque the bolts, clean it up and see what happens. This is a situation where more is not neccessarily better also.
It is not a concern for most people.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Removal on 2007

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal on 2007