C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM
flby55
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuse question

I have a 2009 base and the under the hood box has fuse #2 as the horn fuse and alternator sense, what is alternator sense? Also fuse #34 is listed as a horn micro-relay. thanks for any help with this
Old 11-16-2015, 01:05 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by flby55
I have a 2009 base and the under the hood box has fuse #2 as the horn fuse and alternator sense, what is alternator sense? Also fuse #34 is listed as a horn micro-relay. thanks for any help with this
Based on the wiring diagrams of the C6, Fuse #2(horn/alternator sense) puts power to the alternator /charging system and also the horn system.
This is a pic of the horn system from (fuse #2)
When the horn is pushed on the steering wheel, it completes the horn control logic, energizing the horn relay coil (C2-E1) and pulling/latching the switch Dotted line putting power to the horn assemblies through E2-C1.

I added part of the alternator/generator circuit as well

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-16-2015 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
flby55 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Mack1919
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flby55
Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Based on the wiring diagrams of the C6, Fuse #2(horn/alternator sense) puts power to the alternator /charging system and also the horn system.
This is a pic of the horn system from (fuse #2)
When the horn is pushed on the steering wheel, it completes the horn control logic, energizing the horn relay coil (C2-E1) and pulling/latching the switch Dotted line putting power to the horn assemblies through E2-C1.

I added part of the alternator/generator circuit as well

The alternator sense line is part of the voltage regulation scheme. The sense line is connected (almost) directly to the battery and with the exception of the horn circuitry, has virtually no current flowing in it. The voltage regulator (inside the alternator) then sees battery voltage via a wire which has no voltage drop in it. This allows the voltage regulator to "sense" the true battery voltage without the effect of various current loads in the car affecting this exact voltage.

Why the horn circuitry is tied in with the alternator sense circuitry is anybody's guess other than it saves a fuse. History seems to show that this might have been done way back on GM vehicles with mechanical regulators and possibly even DC generators.

I hope this explanation helps and is not confusing. Had to think about it overnight before putting any words down.

Mack

Last edited by Mack1919; 11-17-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
flby55 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Mack1919
The alternator sense line is part of the voltage regulation scheme. The sense line is connected (almost) directly to the battery and with the exception of the horn circuitry, has virtually no current flowing in it. The voltage regulator (inside the alternator) then sees battery voltage via a wire which no voltage drop in it. This allows the voltage regulator to "sense" the true battery voltage without the effect of various current loads in the car affecting this exact voltage.

Why the horn circuitry is tied in with the alternator sense circuitry is anybody's guess other than it saves a fuse. History seems to show that this might have been done way back on GM vehicles with mechanical regulators and possibly even DC generators.

I hope this explanation helps and is not confusing. Had to think about it overnight before putting any words down.

Mack
The section of the wiring diagram of this circuit that I did not show is exactly what you speak of.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse question

Quick Reply: Fuse question