C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add steering wheel radio controls to 2007 2LT. New clockspring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:14 PM
mcurbo
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Add steering wheel radio controls to 2007 2LT. New clockspring?

I have been looking at doing this mod for a few weeks. I thought it would be a good excuse for a new steering wheel, and I want to do it when I upgrade the factory radio to a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. There has been a lot of great information here about upgrading a 2006 or older that did not have the SWC option, but I am wanting to do it to a 2007 which had the option available. I am looking at a 2008 steering wheel with the controls. I know the wire connector will have to be changed, but what about the clockspring? Has anybody seen or heard of a 2007 without the SWC option that actually had the proper wiring in place? Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Take a look at this thread, start at post 20 and go to the end:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-controls.html
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Certainly, there were 2007's produced with the non-SWC capable clockspring installed.

Your best bet is to remove the airbag on your car and count the connectors on the the end of the clockspring under the airbag.

If it has only 4 wires/connector, you're out of luck, and will need to replace the clockspring to get the SWC.

If it has more than 4, look at positions 5, 6, & 7 on the connector. If they hold purple (positon 5), brown (position 6) and pink (position 7) wires, those are the SWC wires, and you're likely good to go.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
mcurbo (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Certainly, there were 2007's produced with the non-SWC capable clockspring installed.

Your best bet is to remove the airbag on your car and count the connectors on the the end of the clockspring under the airbag.

If it has only 4 wires/connector, you're out of luck, and will need to replace the clockspring to get the SWC.

If it has more than 4, look at positions 5, 6, & 7 on the connector. If they hold purple (positon 5), brown (position 6) and pink (position 7) wires, those are the SWC wires, and you're likely good to go.

Good luck!

Better chances to have the newer clock spring/wires if your 2007 was a late build then an if it was an early build.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 AM
mcurbo
8th Gear

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I think I have convinced myself I am going to do this regardless. I'll just pull the airbag to see if I need to add a clock spring to my ever-growing and over budget shopping list.

The steering wheel I am looking at is a direct replacement for a 2009-2013. If I need a new clock spring, I hope I can get a 2009 to at least minimize any more issues.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 AM
mcurbo
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Grimlock13

Better chances to have the newer clock spring/wires if your 2007 was a late build then an if it was an early build.
I don't think I can be that lucky. Mine was a July 2006 build. I am going to pull out the airbag today since it looks like golf is rained out. I'll know for sure after that. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:39 PM
mcurbo
8th Gear

Good luck!

This appears to be a good sign based on what you said. I am a bit color defect, so I think the #7 wire is more red than pink, but I believe the wires are there. Thanks for you help! Over the next two weeks I am going to do this mod with a new steering wheel and Maestro SW, add the Pioneer stereo with Android Auto, and install a backup camera with a companion module for OBD-based dynamic (turning/moving) guidelines. I realize similar mods have been posted here, but I will still post some DIYs to provide some different perspectives.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:46 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Good luck with your install. I'll probably be doing one in the late winter or spring. (too busy preparing for a move now, and into the new year)

That is a good sign for all 2007 owners.

Last edited by Grimlock13; 11-19-2015 at 04:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Add steering wheel radio controls to 2007 2LT. New clockspring?

Quick Reply: Add steering wheel radio controls to 2007 2LT. New clockspring?