C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for driving a C6 year round - including on snow and ice?

Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 PM
The Speed Chief
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tips for driving a C6 year round - including on snow and ice?

I'm looking for advice from anyone else that has driven there C6 year round. I have snow tires, so I have that figure it out. Just looking for practical, real world advice from anyone else the drives their C6 year around. Do you do anything special to protect the interior or exterior, or make driving it easier?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:12 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I drive my Grand Sport year round. It does not do well at all in the snow and ice with the summertime tires on. (Shocking I know) I have done it though without wrecking the car but it is pretty hard to do. It gets stuck easy.

Last year I bought an old 4x4 truck for around the house. Now it does the going to work duty when the weather is too slick for my Vette. Otherwise it is not suited for daily use.

Putting on snow tires will take you a long way. My C4 had all seasons on it and was a snow cat. When in snow I would turn the traction control off because the thing tries so hard to stop wheel spin it just about kills the motor. The only other thing I would recommend is regular maintenance and try to wash it (especially the underside if they use salt in your area) regularly. Have a nice ice scraper handy too.

You should be fine.

Matt
Old 11-23-2015, 10:43 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Live in Texas, Snow Ice, stay in the house! sometimes I do not want to get out when it rains
Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Go into the Off Topic section and post this same question.

There are several Canadians "who claim" to drive their vettes year around.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:31 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Chicago, IL..................JUST DONT DO IT!........IMHO
Old 11-23-2015, 11:45 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by No. 386
Chicago, IL..................JUST DONT DO IT!........IMHO
I agree wholeheartedly. I am in the Chicago area. I know there are a couple of hardy souls who are willing to take the risk of driving their vettes year round, but I don't and I won't. This car wasn't built for winter driving, it's too easy to make a costly mistake, and if you baby it like crazy and drive it as if you're driving on glass through the winter, what's the point? My AWD SUV gets the nod for winter. Sure, I miss the vette for four months, but I don't miss the worries and risks it would cause to drive it then.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Red is my '07 A6 F55 daily driver and my only vehicle. Every November I pull the summer Firestones and mount winter Sottozeros (next year Michelin A/S). StLouis gets its share of snow and ice. Not lake effects, mind you, but I've never been snowed in despite having a 10% slope on my driveway. Every March I switch back to the Firestones. No problem.

I did invest in a complete second set of wheels w/TPMS when I bought the winter tires, and also a BendPak/Ranger BL-5000 lift.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
Red is my '07 A6 F55 daily driver and my only vehicle. Every November I pull the summer Firestones and mount winter Sottozeros (next year Michelin A/S). StLouis gets its share of snow and ice. Not lake effects, mind you, but I've never been snowed in despite having a 10% slope on my driveway. Every March I switch back to the Firestones. No problem.

I did invest in a complete second set of wheels w/TPMS when I bought the winter tires, and also a BendPak/Ranger BL-5000 lift.
I am sincerely impressed with anyone who drives their Corvette in the Winter ! My hat is off to all.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM
grandsport2
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in Illinois as well, I've been driving Corvettes you're around for over 25 years. Yes you have to have dedicated snow tires, the Z06 and grand sport guys don't have that option. The biggest thing is Clearence, just try to go around the big clumps of snow or ice in the middle of the road. So far so good, just use common sense!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

What is F55?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:39 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
What is F55?
Magnetic suspension
Old 11-24-2015, 03:26 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by The Speed Chief
I'm looking for advice from anyone else that has driven there C6 year round. I have snow tires, so I have that figure it out. Just looking for practical, real world advice from anyone else the drives their C6 year around. Do you do anything special to protect the interior or exterior, or make driving it easier?
I store my C6 but in the day drove my C3 year-around. Found solid faith & prayer very helpful, going where angels fear to tread. Not anymore.

IF I were to drive during the snow seasons the first thing I'd get is a set of WeatherTech liners (http://www.weathertech.com/floorline...gn=FloorLiners).

WT's capture & contain melted snow & salt beautifully. Come Spring when they're removed the carpet's like new. My CTS4 has a set and I swear by 'em. Any forum vendor's selling 'em?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:42 PM
BillH2121
Pro

I had Continental DWS tires on my last C6 and also put them on my current one. We generally have two or three snowfalls a year here in Oklahoma City and I am able to get around pretty well with these tires. However, when the amount of snow is over 2-3 inches, there are issues with the front air dam - a little snow plow action. The DWS are good all-season tires and handle well if your not tracking the car.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:04 PM
04DarkShadowGT
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy winter tires and move on with life. It is not hard to drive a RWD car in the winter. My past two vehicles were supercharged mustangs, both made way more power than my current C6 and never once got stuck. My C6 is not my DD anymore due to a job change and company car, but I am not putting it up for the winter. It will get driven from time to time.

Last edited by 04DarkShadowGT; 11-24-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 PM
The Speed Chief
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies! I am just going to take it one week at a time and see how it goes. It's helpful to hear that others drive year round in the Midwest too.

Ryan
Old 11-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by The Speed Chief
I have driven mine in all kinds of weather, since you have snow tires that is good, I would recommend going to a self serve coin wash as frequently as possible to wash the underside and get the salt off. This is my car one winter parked at work:

Old 11-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
I store my C6 but in the day drove my C3 year-around. Found solid faith & prayer very helpful, going where angels fear to tread. Not anymore.

IF I were to drive during the snow seasons the first thing I'd get is a set of WeatherTech liners (http://www.weathertech.com/floorline...gn=FloorLiners).

WT's capture & contain melted snow & salt beautifully. Come Spring when they're removed the carpet's like new. My CTS4 has a set and I swear by 'em. Any forum vendor's selling 'em?
I buy Weathertech digital mats for any car I drive in the winter. The CTS4 ones don't fit as good as the Chevy Traverse I had before though. At least the passenger side, the drivers side fits great.

My grandsport stays in the garage in the winter and I drive this* instead

*looks exactly like this but is a image I found on google.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for driving a C6 year round - including on snow and ice?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips for driving a C6 year round - including on snow and ice?