C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Temperature 2013 GS Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Cabin Temperature 2013 GS Coupe

I'm reviving this thread for it seems I still have this issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-issue.html

I did take the car to the dealer and was told some line about how the cabin temperature is affected by ......and he rattled off a bunch of things....none of which was any action that changed the results.

All I want to know is IF you set the driver/passenger temperature setting to 75 (f) and lets say the outside temperature is 40 and you're driving for about 20 miles, shouldn't the cabin temperature at some point reach 75?

Mine continues to run about 10 degrees lower than what I set it it. If I set it to 75 (f), it might reach 65 (f) and so forth.

I've done the HVAC reset as well as the battery.

Car is still under warranty. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'll start out by asking how we can know the cabin temp has reached a certain number.
There is no readout, and I think there's easily a 15' difference between different areas of the cabin. Not to mention some drafts.

Having said that, our 2001, then 2006, and now 2009; always need the temp set higher in winter than in summer. A/C in summer, I set about 72' and that keeps us comfortable. Come winter with the outside in the 40's, need to set maybe 78' to be comfortable, down around 0' outside I need to set low 80's to be comfortable.

This is with the engine warmed up and system running in auto.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

^
Here is just a small snapshot of part of the A/C HVAC system. As you can see, there are many temperature sensors associated with this system, including but not shown on the pic, a sunload sensor (bubble on top of dash)

Old 11-30-2015, 09:35 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

The vette has too much glass. Your losing it from the big sheet of glass behind you. If it's 40 degrees outside, and you set the temp to 75 degrees, your doing good to hit 65 degrees inside.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:49 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by VA50th
I'm reviving this thread for it seems I still have this issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-issue.html

I did take the car to the dealer and was told some line about how the cabin temperature is affected by ......and he rattled off a bunch of things....none of which was any action that changed the results.

All I want to know is IF you set the driver/passenger temperature setting to 75 (f) and lets say the outside temperature is 40 and you're driving for about 20 miles, shouldn't the cabin temperature at some point reach 75?

Mine continues to run about 10 degrees lower than what I set it it. If I set it to 75 (f), it might reach 65 (f) and so forth.

I've done the HVAC reset as well as the battery.

Car is still under warranty. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Have you actually measured the temp or are you guessing it's only 65*? With all the glass, it's not surprising it'll feel cool inside on a 40* day.

Transparent roof vs fiberglass roof panel will also contribute to the heat loss.

Lastly, do you have it set on "Auto" and it simply runs the blower at 100% all the time or does it eventually reduce the blower speed and adjust the temp coming out of the vents?

What happens when you set the controls to "90*"....full hot? Do you get hot air from the vents or no change in temp? What about "60*", full cold? This would at least verify the blend door is working.

Without an actual temp survey of the cabin...footwells, console, left and right seats around stomach height, near the roof....you're just playing a guessing game.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 11-30-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

I've never counted on the actual number on the display to keep the cabin at that actual temperature in any vehicle I've ever owned . . . rather just as a gauge to the range of temperatures the heated or cooled air can be. The Vette has so much glass too.

Yup . . . I use these systems just like the old fashioned manual systems. Rarely hit the auto button. Same concept with the dual zone system that blows cooler air on one side and warmer on the other (and in my BMW another temp in the rear seats) all in the same small cabin.

In the Vette my favorite setting is the mode with the air split between the windshield and the floor vents, the fan in the middle setting, the temp about 78 or 80, and the recirc button on (and my seat warmer on low). This keeps me nice and warm, even with the windows up and the roof out on a cool night. And I've got a 13 GS coupe also.

Good luck.

Last edited by csf; 11-30-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:02 PM
VA50th
Pro

Thanks for all the replies.

To answer some of the questions:
I’ve placed a small digital thermometer in the cabin.
The roof is the solid style NOT glass
Auto/manual: I tried both settings. Of course when in manual you can control the fan speed as well as the vent control. It appears when I do put it in AUTO that any heat I do get comes from the windshield area as if the defroster was engaged. I have to set the temperature settings to about 85(f) for the cabin to reach anywhere near 75(f).
I’ve owned the car for nearly 3 years. This problem started about a year ago. It’s a case of where it was working fine and now I have to change the settings to feel the same amount of heat/comfort.

The consensus sounds as though I should disregard the cabin temperature setting and turn it up until you feel warm. If that’s true, then what’s the purpose of the dial up temperature settings? Is it, if you want 75(f) you need to set it to 85(f)?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

[QUOTE=VA50th;1591019466]Thanks for all the replies.

Auto/manual: I tried both settings. Of course when in manual you can control the fan speed as well as the vent control. It appears when I do put it in AUTO that any heat I do get comes from the windshield area as if the defroster was engaged. ......QUOTE]

Text in red is what you want the tech/dealer to troubleshoot. The temp stuff is easy to arm-wave away. The fact that it blows out of the defroster vent and not the floor is pretty hard to dispute.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:41 PM
VA50th
Pro

[QUOTE=96GS#007;1591019678]
Thanks for all the replies.

Auto/manual: I tried both settings. Of course when in manual you can control the fan speed as well as the vent control. It appears when I do put it in AUTO that any heat I do get comes from the windshield area as if the defroster was engaged. ......QUOTE]

Text in red is what you want the tech/dealer to troubleshoot. The temp stuff is easy to arm-wave away. The fact that it blows out of the defroster vent and not the floor is pretty hard to dispute.
Thanks Jim....much appreciate it
Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Also, the normal air distribution when in "heat", still has some air coming out of the defrost vent and it's pretty easy to notice.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:52 PM
VA50th
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Also, the normal air distribution when in "heat", still has some air coming out of the defrost vent and it's pretty easy to notice.
An update...I did the 3 button reset (again) just to see if it would make a difference. Now when I take it out of AUTO I am able to push air through all of the upper vents as well as the floor. Something the system wouldn't do before. What has me concerned though is that soon as I put it back in AUTO, the air is sent only to the floor. I've read that this may be normal. So my question is, while in AUTO will you ever feel air coming from the upper 3 vents?

I did make an appointment to have this looked at by the dealer.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

An update...I did the 3 button reset (again) just to see if it would make a difference. Now when I take it out of AUTO I am able to push air through all of the upper vents as well as the floor. Something the system wouldn't do before. What has me concerned though is that soon as I put it back in AUTO, the air is sent only to the floor. I've read that this may be normal. So my question is, while in AUTO will you ever feel air coming from the upper 3 vents?

Thanks
2013 owner's manual, page 8-2.

Automatic Operation
AUTO (Automatic): Press the
AUTO button to place the entire
system in the automatic mode.

The system starts out
blowing air at the floor but may
change modes automatically as
the vehicle warms up to maintain
the chosen temperature setting.

The length of time needed for
warm up depends on the outside
temperature and the length of
time that has elapsed since the
vehicle was last driven.

3. Wait for the system to regulate.
This may take from 10 to
30 minutes. Then adjust the
temperature, if necessary.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:06 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

When heating on auto, air blows out the floor vents. If it's sunny out and it senses that upper cabin is getting too warm, cool air comes from dash vents. Air comes out at windshield only when directed to. Defrost or set manually to do so.
The following users liked this post:
VA50th (12-05-2015)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 PM
LCSteve
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks
Did you ever figure this out with your car? I needed to use the heat for the first time on my 2013 (only had it for 2 months) and in my previous car if I set it to 75 when it was 45 out I'd be toasty in no time. I was surprised to find that in the C6 when set to 75 and auto or manual that the system basically trickled air out. I let it run at this level for over 20 miles on the highway and nothing changed. I bumped it to 85 and it was lukewarm at best then to 90 it went and I got so so warm air but not HOT like it should have been. I can't believe that this is how it was designed personally. To me it feels like the cabin sensor is reading 10-15 degrees high and the system is compensating for this. In my wifes Nissan this happened and it turned out that in those cars when your a little low on coolant (like a quart in my case) the engine basically restricts or blocks coolant to the heater core to preserve the engine vitals. We owned that Nissan for 4 years before it did this and after I added just 1 quart of coolant it's worked fine since (over two years now).

I haven't taken any measurements but I'll take some pictures tomorrow on my way into work with my Flir thermal camera and show everyone exactly what's happening with some exact temps.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Cabin Temperature 2013 GS Coupe

Quick Reply: Cabin Temperature 2013 GS Coupe