C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:45 AM
blue68$$$
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another headlight question

I dropped my 2005 c6 off at dealership to get headlight recall taken care of. 8 hours later they called me and told me my headlights wont turn off after they did the job. Kept over night to go over everything in the morning. Next day comes around and they are blaming my aftermarket engine parts and the lack of a mass air could be the reason. long story short, they said there is a short in my wiring , but they werent going to proceed to fix it with out me agreeing to pay a unknown dollar amount. Has anyone had this issue come up???? I feel picking up the car in a worse condition then dropping it off might be my only option, however its definitely not a road i am looking to go down!! Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

The idiots probably have the car inside the work area where the auto lights think its dark outside. Everything works fine when you go in and after they work on it they blame YOU for their mistakes. Brilliant!! This is why I will not take mine in for that recall. The car is 10 years old. If the lights haven't stopped working by now I doubt they ever will.
I would just tell them to undo whatever they did to "fix" your headlights if I were you.

Last edited by EVRose; 12-10-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:49 AM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

^^^ I agree. I would suggest they park it outside and see if the issue corrects itself.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:29 AM
blue68$$$
Cruising

So the issue is whatever they shorted now even with the car off, key 1000ft away, the headlights are still on draining the battery. I did ask them to take the recall off and they said they cant, and that during the testing, the recall off, the headlights still stay on!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 AM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

They are correct, the recall is federally mandated, they can't remove it. I still say it's on them, meaning the headlight switch has been adjusted or turned.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

These guys are ignoramus; Obviously, they should be looking at only the area that was worked on, and stop putting blame on something else.
I keep getting the recall notices in the mail and I cringe at the thought of bringing my car in for it.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:59 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

No way I'm having that recall done. I've read too many horror stories here
Old 12-10-2015, 10:53 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I haven't done the recall and probably won't.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:05 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I've not had the issue with the low beams going off once the engine bay heats up, so I know that the ground wire is not broken and losing connection once the ground wire expands with heat.

I will not get the recall done at GM. If I do lose my low beams, I will do the fix myself via a PDF that I saved from a few years ago.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:15 AM
blue68$$$
Cruising

Well i havent picked up the car just yet, i am waiting to talk to the gm at the dealer and the BAR. I have the feeling i will have to end up fixing myself! Has anyone ever crossed a wire or messed something up where the headlights got constant power and wont turn off unless u disconnect battery??
Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It HAS TO BE something they did. It has to be! The headlights were working normally (I assume) when they got the car and after they worked on the headlight circuit now they are not. There is no way they didn't cause this and no way they should not get it fixed no charge. Get tough with them.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
It HAS TO BE something they did. It has to be! The headlights were working normally (I assume) when they got the car and after they worked on the headlight circuit now they are not. There is no way they didn't cause this and no way they should not get it fixed no charge. Get tough with them.
The number one goal from the stealership is to separate you from your money.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:15 PM
krazy1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem. The tech done the recall wrong. He needs to go back and check his work. That is all that is wrong with your car.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy1
I had the same problem. The tech done the recall wrong. He needs to go back and check his work. That is all that is wrong with your car.
They probably put the jumper in the wrong spot on the fuseblock, making the lowbeam relay stay on all the time.

I can't see how the mechanic wouldn't remove the jumper just to prove the condition doesn't change without the jumper. Unless he doesn't know anything about electrical.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:19 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
They probably put the jumper in the wrong spot on the fuseblock, making the lowbeam relay stay on all the time.

I can't see how the mechanic wouldn't remove the jumper just to prove the condition doesn't change without the jumper. Unless he doesn't know anything about electrical.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Please keep us posted!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:29 PM
blue68$$$
Cruising

Well guys its been a lil over 3 weeks now, dealership still has car! The general manager is yet to return a call, the dealership hasnt touched the car (supposedly ) they said they went through all the wiring and what they did could had no way caused the issue. The issue was there before they touched the car (which is bs). I got a hold of corporate gm and they supposedly are trying to help. I filed a complaint with the BAR. He is supposedly looking into it. Today they service manager called me threatened to put a lien on my car if it is not picked up by tmro. I think i am running out of options!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To another headlight question

Old 12-31-2015, 08:42 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by blue68$$$
...Today they service manager called me threatened to put a lien on my car if it is not picked up by tmro. I think i am running out of options!!!!
It's fixed and they have a bill for you? If so, pay with a credit card and immediately dispute the charge.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:43 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Well guys its been a lil over 3 weeks now, dealership still has car! The general manager is yet to return a call, the dealership hasnt touched the car (supposedly ) they said they went through all the wiring and what they did could had no way caused the issue. The issue was there before they touched the car (which is bs). I got a hold of corporate gm and they supposedly are trying to help. I filed a complaint with the BAR. He is supposedly looking into it. Today they service manager called me threatened to put a lien on my car if it is not picked up by tmro. I think i am running out of options!!!!
Exactly what is the BAR? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

You might want to call GM back and tell them what the service manager's threat is. And you might also want to call your lawyer, or even your state's attorney general's office.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I dropped my 2005 c6 off at dealership to get headlight recall taken care of. 8 hours later they called me and told me my headlights wont turn off after they did the job. Kept over night to go over everything in the morning. Next day comes around and they are blaming my aftermarket engine parts and the lack of a mass air could be the reason. long story short, they said there is a short in my wiring , but they werent going to proceed to fix it with out me agreeing to pay a unknown dollar amount. Has anyone had this issue come up???? I feel picking up the car in a worse condition then dropping it off might be my only option, however its definitely not a road i am looking to go down!! Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Another sad case of dealer incompetence.
Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.
I sincerely hope for the best possible outcome for you.
Reason number 67 why I don't take my 'vette to a dealer unless it's absolutely necessary!
For me, this low beam, "fix", is far from necessary.

Originally Posted by _05C6_
They are correct, the recall is federally mandated, they can't remove it. I still say it's on them, meaning the headlight switch has been adjusted or turned.
Please provide a credible link that says this issue is a "federally mandated recall."
I have never heard this before. 2005, through 2007 Corvettes were issued a recall, that must comply with federal laws, but the recall, to the best of my knowledge was not "federally mandated."

I've attached a copy of the actual GM recall...

Quick Reply: another headlight question