C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Axle back mufflers myself

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 02:58 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Installing Axle back mufflers myself

I posted in the forum about the muffler shop that wanted 6 hours labor to install my axle back NPP mufflers. I am going to try and do this myself for a weekend project.

When I had a C5 I installed a titanium axle back off a z06, the job was not bad the hard part was getting the rear high enough. Luckily I had a kwiklift I could use, I do not have a kwiklift now...

I will be using: a pair of race ramps, and a floor jack.

Can it be done with just those lifting tools? How high does the rear need to be to do this??
Old 12-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I think it will be pretty tough with just a pair of ramps. The mufflers and over-axle pipes are all one long awkward piece, and its hard to drop the mufflers low enough to snake the over-axle pipes over the rear suspension with just a pair of ramps providing height.

And you REALLY don't want to use only a jack to get the extra height, and then be monkeying around underneath trying to work the exhaust out of (or into) place -- that sometimes takes a lot of effort, and is *not* a delicate operation!

Possible? Maybe. But I don't think you would be liking life very much.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:30 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Jack up the rear end and install jack stands. You can use the ramps on the front wheels. Get the rear up as high as you can, 18" should do it. Did mine this way and was a cat back system. You may find that you will need to remove from cats back to get the room you will need.
SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:33 PM
JohnR2000
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a place in Plano that rents lifts by the hour, They even supplied a full tool box. It was less than $30 per hour. I think they are on Plano Pkwy. I will try and find my receipt that has their name and address.
SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:33 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

You have said twice now that you want to install used "NPP mufflers". Are you also installing all the electrical wiring, etc. needed to operate the NPP mufflers? Or is all that already present in your C6?

SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:36 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

You might check around to see if there's a garage in your area that rents garage lifts. There's one here in LA that rents 2-post lifts plus a full complement of tools (including air tools, torque wrenches, etc) for $25/hour. Heck of a deal for the weekend wrench.

This place in Plano may be closed (or their website is out of date), but it's worth checking or there may be similar facilities....

http://www.jackjunkies.com/index.html

I was just in McKinney earlier this week, stayed just down the street at the Courtyard by Marriott in Allen.
SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:38 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnR2000
There is a place in Plano that rents lifts by the hour, They even supplied a full tool box. It was less than $30 per hour. I think they are on Plano Pkwy. I will try and find my receipt that has their name and address.
I think I found them - Jack Junkies 1201 E. Plano Pkwy, Plano ?

That is an awesome idea
Old 12-10-2015, 03:39 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by duckvett
You have said twice now that you want to install used "NPP mufflers". Are you also installing all the electrical wiring, etc. needed to operate the NPP mufflers? Or is all that already present in your C6?

Yes, I also purchased the NPP in a box to install the controller, which I will be installing too.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:46 PM
JohnR2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpeedUp

That is an awesome idea
Their web site says they closed in June, 2014 and were looking for a new location. I can't find anything more recent.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

In addition, I believe the rear sway bar is removed to make the whole job easier???? Not sure, just word on the street.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:07 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by _05C6_
In addition, I believe the rear sway bar is removed to make the whole job easier???? Not sure, just word on the street.
the bar doesn't have to be removed...just remove the top bolts so it drops down.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:10 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

That is an awesome idea
just go to harbor freight and get a good set of jack stands for the rear. probably ~$30 for a good set and you'll own them. get the car up to ~ 18"-20" and you should be golden.
SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 05:29 PM
jdlew
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed a axle back npp muffler back in spring, and all I used was a set of ramps and a floor jack. Backed the car up on the ramps. removed old mufflers and put the new ones in. took a couple of wire coat hangers some electrical tape an pushed the vacuum line threw the torque tube plate till it came out the front. Untapped the hanger and removed it. Zip tied the vacuum line away from everything. Got the car back off the ramps. Put the jack on the passenger side and raised the car up high enough for me to reach under and pull the vacuum line the rest of the way through. Pushed the vacuum line up high enough for me to reach it up top then let the car back down. Broke off the nipple on the back of the intake. Made sure the vacuum line was routed away from the high heat areas cut the length, plugged up the vacuum line. called that part finished. I ran the electrical wire through the inside of the car and mounted the box under the passenger side trunk storage box. Took me about 2 hours to do it all. P.M. me if you have any questions.

Last edited by jdlew; 12-10-2015 at 05:30 PM.
SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 06:28 PM
c6don
Advanced

Yes, I also purchased the NPP in a box to install the controller, which I will be installing too.
Speedup, I did the same install of NPP mufflers that you are going to do. I used a cross beam adapter on my floor jack for the rear end and put some 2 x 12 wood under the front tires to get the front higher so when you get the rear up high it won't hit the air dam in the front. Also used jack stands on the jacking puck locations toward the back. You do have to get it up pretty high but it is possible. Take the x-pipe off to make it easier. Also if you have a auto be sure to put the trans in "s" for clearance of the muffler pipe.
SpeedUp (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Southmsfiveo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine over the summer. I have the QuickJack by Ranger. Lift height is 22 inches. More than enough room. Did't have to fool with the sway bar. Didn't have to cut anything.

I installed SLP Loudmouth II. They are junk. Don't recommend to anyone.

Kooks Header, X-Pipe and Corsa Sport on the way.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Vettevick
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you need an extra hand give me a shout, I'm in North Plano. Always willing to turn a wrench when I can.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Southmsfiveo
I did mine over the summer. I have the QuickJack by Ranger. Lift height is 22 inches. More than enough room. Did't have to fool with the sway bar. Didn't have to cut anything.

I installed SLP Loudmouth II. They are junk. Don't recommend to anyone.

Kooks Header, X-Pipe and Corsa Sport on the way.
really? how so? mine were nice. the drone was unbearable with long tubes but other than that...they looked ok but sounded great!

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Axle back mufflers myself

Quick Reply: Installing Axle back mufflers myself