C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a longshot??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a longshot??

Originally posted in C6 zr1 section, but moving it here. I'm not sure how to delete post via iPhone. Anyway read below please

Long story short. I someday when the price goes down would like to own a C7 Z06. In about 2 years or so. This is what I'm contemplating. I'm ready to buy another corvette. I want the stingray, but everyone's been talking me into going for a ZR1. I'm feeling the ZR1 because of the power, but also the stingray because of the looks and I wanna be a showstopper lol. Of course to car enthusiast the ZR1 will stand out. Yes I know. But I would rather be a showstopper to people that don't really know cars. I like to motivate people that if you work hard you can get whatever. Anyway enough of the small talk. Is it possible to find a zr1 for 50-55k. Of course I'd like to be on the lower end of 50 but I'll work a couple more hours and add if I have to.

Is it a long shot seeing a zr1 for 50-55k or should I look toward the stingray. Oh I forgot to mention also I plan on keeping whatever for about 2 years or so then sell for he C7Z so I'm also thinking which would be easier to sell as well. Hope that makes sense and don't ridicule me lol. I'm just asking questions so I can see what other options I should look to.

Not really feeling the z06 as much anymore as well. Although I've seen some really dope ones here lately.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:54 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I really doubt if you can find a C7 ZR1 for 55K. I was at the Chevy dealer this week and saw a 2010 ZR1 and they wanted $73k. A 2008 Z06 was asking $45k.

Think your gonna have to wait a long time for a ZR1 to get to the 50k budget.

If you want a show stopper. Get a GS and add some custom wheels, super charger, cams, and tuning kit. It will be enough HP for the above average driver. Even stock is plenty.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (12-19-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
I really doubt if you can find a C7 ZR1 for 55K. I was at the Chevy dealer this week and saw a 2010 ZR1 and they wanted $73k. A 2008 Z06 was asking $45k.

Think your gonna have to wait a long time for a ZR1 to get to the 50k budget.

If you want a show stopper. Get a GS and add some custom wheels, super charger, cams, and tuning kit. It will be enough HP for the above average driver. Even stock is plenty.

I've seen z06's easily for under 40. The prices of those are going down. But they're just everywhere. I could get one but I'd rather have the stingray if I ant find a zr1. My brothers dealer sold on for 54k, but I wasn't in the position I am now, and didn't even think about that car to be honest. I've seen a bunch on Craigslist for under 65. Lowest I've seen was 55k with 23k miles but it is gone I believe. Was on autotrader at a dealer 09. That why I ask. I'd go with the z06 instead of the GS.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:14 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

IMO, as nice and as rare as the C6 ZR1 is, if I had a choice between a 2014-2015 C7 or a 2010 ZR1, I would pick the C7. Your more apt to find a C7 at $50-$55K sooner than you will ever find a ZR1 at that price, unless you get really lucky and stumble across one of those dealers or owners that want to give it away at a bargain basement price.
In order to get a C7 Z06, you'll be looking at a big price tag for a long while.
Good Luck in your search

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-17-2015 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
IMO, as nice and as rare as the C6 ZR1 is, if I had a choice between a 2014-2015 C7 or a 2010 ZR1, I would pick the C7. Your more apt to find a C7 at $50-$55K sooner than you will ever find a ZR1 at that price, unless you get really lucky and stumble across one of those dealers or owners that want to give it away at a bargain basement price.
In order to get a C7 Z06, you'll be looking at a big price tag for a long while.
Good Luck in your search
by the time Id be ready my financial situation will increase by the grace of God and I'll have no misfortunes happen. I'll be comfortable paying 70 for probably a base c7z but I wouldn't care. It's same motor lol.

And I agree with you 100% it would be easier and quicker to find a stingray. Which is what I wanted originally but my brother has been talking me into the Zr1. I'm stuck in the middle on what I should do, had no interest in them till he told me to look at them. . .
Old 12-17-2015, 02:06 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby_Matrix
...I'm feeling the ZR1 because of the power, but also the stingray because of the looks and I wanna be a showstopper lol. Of course to car enthusiast the ZR1 will stand out. Yes I know. But I would rather be a showstopper to people that don't really know cars...
Are you buying the car because you like it or because you think it will impress others?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

You buy a Corvette out of passion and desire, not because someone tells you to buy "that one". Do your homework and make your decision. However, there is no mistaking a C6 ZR1.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Props to you for at least being honest about your goal of wanting something that will serve to impress the masses. Not many have the courage to admit it.

Unfortunately, if you really want to have a 'showstopper' stock car you have to spend a lot more than the cost of a new Chevy Tahoe ($55K). New Minivans are near $40k -- you think $55k is spending a lot for a "showstopper" new car these days?

"But I would rather be a showstopper to people that don't really know cars."
To those who "don't really know cars" -- they can't tell a C6 ZR1 from a C6 Z06, nor can they tell a C7 Stingray from a C7 Z06. There are absolutely big differences to enthusiasts, but they are all the same to Muggles.

Get a base model C7 in yellow, and spend the C7-Z06 money saved on bling (chrome wheels, wing spoilers, etc). Trust me -- no one who "doesnt really know cars" will be any less impressed. In 2 years, the C7 will still have a decent amount of value when you trade up to the C7/Z06.

Last edited by Kent1999; 12-17-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:06 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

If you want a show stopper, you have to build one. I have an 05 base vert that routinely beats all other styles and generations of Vettes at car shows. Haven't lost to a C7 or C6 WB yet.

That being said, any vette driving down the road will get attention stock or not. Buy the one you like.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
You buy a Corvette out of passion and desire, not because someone tells you to buy "that one". Do your homework and make your decision. However, there is no mistaking a C6 ZR1.

Well I had a corvette. It was an ls2. Beautiful car I sold it to move up, but never thought I'd be able to even look at a zr1 because of the tag. im just having a hard time deciding. I ultimately in a few years want the c7z. So I basically want something to suite me for the meantime. Maybe I should just go with the C6Z06...
Old 12-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
If you want a show stopper, you have to build one. I have an 05 base vert that routinely beats all other styles and generations of Vettes at car shows. Haven't lost to a C7 or C6 WB yet.

That being said, any vette driving down the road will get attention stock or not. Buy the one you like.
You have a point. I may just buy a C6Z instead and build that and wait later down the road for the car that I really want.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Props to you for at least being honest about your goal of wanting something that will serve to impress the masses. Not many have the courage to admit it.

Unfortunately, if you really want to have a 'showstopper' stock car you have to spend a lot more than the cost of a new Chevy Tahoe ($55K). New Minivans are near $40k -- you think $55k is spending a lot for a "showstopper" new car these days?

"But I would rather be a showstopper to people that don't really know cars."
To those who "don't really know cars" -- they can't tell a C6 ZR1 from a C6 Z06, nor can they tell a C7 Stingray from a C7 Z06. There are absolutely big differences to enthusiasts, but they are all the same to Muggles.

Get a base model C7 in yellow, and spend the C7-Z06 money saved on bling (chrome wheels, wing spoilers, etc). Trust me -- no one who "doesnt really know cars" will be any less impressed. In 2 years, the C7 will still have a decent amount of value when you trade up to the C7/Z06.

You make several great points. And you've said the most qualifying advice in my opinion. Would you suggest I just Go find a lower mileage C6Z and have fun with it, then later down the road sell it for the car I ultimately want (C7Z). I could save more money also while having fun with that till I'm ultimately ready for what I do want? You think they will also hold their value and easier to sell(c6z) then a base stingray.

If I went with the c6z I'm gonna mod it in hopes of getting close to 700 all motor if that's even possible lol. . .
Old 12-17-2015, 03:54 PM
G Wrecks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I say to go for the ZR1. It's the best C6 offered and I believe will retain more value than a base Stingray. The C6 body style has taken all of the initial hits of depreciation at this time and I don't think they'll see another large drop in value. The C7 is still the new kid on the block, and will be for a while. They haven't gone through any depreciation yet. The stages of depreciation are initial purchase, new variations of models, and body style change (C8).

The C6 has been through all of these stages so therefore, I think it will hold the most value over the next few years over a new C7.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Are you buying the car because you like it or because you think it will impress others?
I never bought I'd be able to afford this car. I usually never look at cars that's not in my price range lol. He showed me and now the more I look at it the more I like it. But I think it would be more sensible to buy a c6z build it and sell later for what I ultimately want.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:58 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Cars may be in a bubble now and if so, the ZR1 may come down to 55k if the bubble bursts, but I'd not count on it. The C7z will surely get there but who knows when.

Consider the C7z's sell roughly for $94k average I"m guessing. That is a long way from 55k.

There are advantages to a ZR1 not at this point in the C7z. The ZR1 is faster once the C7z gets its heat soak on. The ZR1 is not just a used car but an icon which has a good shot of holding its value if you can reach one. The C7z at this point is just a used car and may remain there forever. We can't know.

I may be biased but last summer I saw a ZR1 in a gold or copper color. IMO, it was the best looking car I've ever seen. Again, IMO, it flattens the C7z in looks dept.

Last edited by dryadsdad; 12-17-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Are we back in High School? 95% of the people that don't have Corvettes don't know one from the other.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
Are we back in High School? 95% of the people that don't have Corvettes don't know one from the other.
I had a guy at cruise night last year point to the grand sport badge on my front fender, then asked if it was a ZR1?

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a longshot??

Old 12-17-2015, 06:02 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

The Corvette itself is a "show stopper" already, no matter what generation or model it is. They are not a dime a dozen such as Camaros or Mustangs. You can find a lot of nice Vette's out there for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Getting back to the original question... ZR1's in the southwest are selling for north of 70K these days. Most are very low miles, and very well kept. It's quite unlikely that you'll be able to find a C6 ZR1 for under 70K unless you wait another 5-10 years.
If you want something soon, buy the C7. And if you really want to impress the "people who don't know cars", buy the C7 Z06. Then you will still have the blower to brag about.

Garry
Old 12-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Baby_Matrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Cars may be in a bubble now and if so, the ZR1 may come down to 55k if the bubble bursts, but I'd not count on it. The C7z will surely get there but who knows when.

Consider the C7z's sell roughly for $94k average I"m guessing. That is a long way from 55k.

There are advantages to a ZR1 not at this point in the C7z. The ZR1 is faster once the C7z gets its heat soak on. The ZR1 is not just a used car but an icon which has a good shot of holding its value if you can reach one. The C7z at this point is just a used car and may remain there forever. We can't know.

I may be biased but last summer I saw a ZR1 in a gold or copper color. IMO, it was the best looking car I've ever seen. Again, IMO, it flattens the C7z in looks dept.

I'm hoping that in about 2 years or so the C7Z will drop to about 70k. That's my target price for the car. But I won't be able to do that till that point in time. (Higher job placement)

I've never actually seen a zr1 in person. But I'm kinda swaying over to just sticking with the z06. And not waiting all forever for the zr1. But 35-30k will get me a nice c6z to drive for the meantime ya know.

Last edited by Baby_Matrix; 12-17-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this a longshot??