C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a C6 from Carmax, found issues and a month later car is still getting "fixed"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 03:09 AM
i_want_my_car_back
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought a C6 from Carmax, found issues and a month later car is still getting "fixed"

tl;dr bought car at Carmax and a week later found issues, after a month car is still there and issues not fixed. My first payment is coming up and I'm worried that I won't have my car for a long time and worse if the problems never actually get fixed.

Hello,

I finally saved up enough $$ and bought the car of my dreams (c6). Carmax had a super clean sample and I chose to buy from them because my friends and family never had any problems with their cars, plus they offer a 30 day warranty.

Well first week after getting my car I filled up the tank and got a CEL, pulled the code and it's the fuel sending units in the gas tanks. Then the transmission once in reverse will get stuck and I can't pull the shifter out of it. There were some other minor issues but I was honestly just going to let them slide as I just wanted to drive the car

One month later the car is still at Carmax and there still doesn't seem to be any end date. They kept telling me it'll be done on a certain day starting about a week ago. I involved Corporate about a week ago but so far they've been useless.

This isn't my first rodeo with a car "shop" so when dropping off my car I found all the big guns at the local store since I know they are the decision makers that can actually make things happen, but thus far none of the managers have done ****.

I have a rental car, but it's not worth half of the payment of the car I got. I was told today (after a month) that the car would be done and I showed up, and the tech basically told me that now the tranny won't go into any forward gears, and while the engine now starts, won't stay on and shuts off, perhaps the fuel pumps aren't sending enough fuel to the engine.

To top everything off, they are testing the car with 89 oct. fuel...

At this point I am not sure what I can do. I want them to first thing on Monday (since they close on weekends) to tow the damn car to the car make's dealership and just cover the bill and have them fix everything. I don't even think I can trust the work of the Carmax tech now that he's spend weeks to make everything worse.

If Carmax refuses to send the car to the dealership and continues to give me empty promises, what can I do? Can I make them buy the car back or something? Cover the first month's payment since I basically haven't driven the car for about a month and counting? Can I lawyer up? How does one even do that? And under this circumstance do I have a chance to achieve anything that way? I am just sick and tired of everybody at Carmax and corporate telling me "I'm sorry" "I understand your concern" "the car will be done ASAP we are trying our best" and not delivering any result

Worst of all is I don't trust the tech working on my car. I will also be out of the country in about a week so I won't be around to take care of more problems if they were to come up. I don't want to be on a track one day and one of the fuel lines wasn't tucked away correctly and the car just explodes or something

Sorry for the wall of text I'm pretty frustrated and am not sure what to do. I work a lot and finally have the holidays to enjoy my unicorn car and it's just sitting in a shop getting raped by incompetence.

edit: some minor details were altered from actual facts as I wish to remain anonymous

Last edited by i_want_my_car_back; 12-19-2015 at 03:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JKHolman (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 06:03 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Tell CarMax you don't want the car and your not going to make any payments on it.

Tell them since the car is not in working order, and since they have failed to fix it within a normal amount of time that you consider any contract you have signed null and void.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:05 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Prior to getting a loan for this Corvette, how much cash did you initially give CarMax as a down payment?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Tell CarMax you don't want the car and your not going to make any payments on it.

Tell them since the car is not in working order, and since they have failed to fix it within a normal amount of time that you consider any contract you have signed null and void.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:17 AM
nex96
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Tell CarMax to refund 100% of your hard earned money and go shove it.

I looked at a MB E350 at Tucson CarMax maybe a month ago and then engine was ticking. Told the sales rep and he actually told me "That's normal." I don't f'ing think so!! So, to play his game, I said....."Okay. Get the keys for this MB E350 and let's see if this one makes rhe same noise."

Of course, it didn't. I told the guy that they needed to get the car in and run some diagnostics to see what was up because it was NOT normal. Of course, I get the North and South half-hearted nod.

Sorry to hear this. I would demand a refund or lawyer up and then file for lost work time, rental car charges, pain, suffering, and anything else like.....waving to other Corvettes driving by while you were in the month long rental, but not one person waved back causing you mental anguish and suffering.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 12-19-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Tell them you don't want the car or have them find you another one. I am sorry you're going through this. It's alway on all our minds when we purchase a used car. Keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:48 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Sounds like alot of problems. Did a flood car end up on the Carmax lot? I'd try to get my money back. You will always be suspicious of the car and you won't enjoy it.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:00 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

While I agree with your comments about the "null and void" contract, failing to make the car payments will just screw up his credit. Unfortunately, I think he needs to retain an attorney. No way I'm taking possession of that car at this point.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj

While I agree with your comments about the "null and void" contract, failing to make the car payments will just screw up his credit. Unfortunately, I think he needs to retain an attorney. No way I'm taking possession of that car at this point.
Strongly!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
You said "plus they offer a 30 day warranty". I would read it very closely...and then find an attorney.
Just my opinion, but, CarMax has "Jack of all trades" mechanics...not anyone brand specific. I would be hesitant to trust their work.
Like most other posters I agree it is time to get out of this deal as cheaply as possible.
Good luck.
BTW, I would not worry about the 89 octane gas. If you end up with the car you can drive that down and keep topping off with premium.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Thousands of vettes in this world for sale and you buy one from carmax? That was your first mistake.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

A) CarMax already has their money, and couldn't care less about whether you make your car payments or not. Stop paying, and you're just screwing your own credit -- nothing more. The bank holding the note will NOT be sympathetic to your problem with the dealer.

B) You can "consider" the contract "null and void" all you want, but that doesn't change the contract, nor does it change the OP's responsibility.

The OP *can* threaten to take the dealer to court to challenge the contract for non-performance on the dealer's part, but he cannot just decide that the contract is void without violation of a SPECIFIC clause or *explicit* violation of state or federal contract law. Even then, it's likely a court date, or lawyering up to send the complaint and notice to the dealer with hopes they will provide some acceptable remedy to avoid court.

In any case, the OP has to continue making payments while working through the process, regardless of his feelings, travel plans, time and effort, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
Chuck Little (12-24-2015), Rebel Yell (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky High
Thousands of vettes in this world for sale and you buy one from carmax? That was your first mistake.
What difference does that make? I got mine from Carmax over 5 years ago for a good price and its been near perfect. I would not however go there for service. I would demand it be taken to a Chevy dealer at this point.

Last edited by EVRose; 12-19-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:24 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Kent1999
A) CarMax already has their money, and couldn't care less about whether you make your car payments or not. Stop paying, and you're just screwing your own credit -- nothing more. The bank holding the note will NOT be sympathetic to your problem with the dealer.

B) You can "consider" the contract "null and void" all you want, but that doesn't change the contract, nor does it change the OP's responsibility.

The OP *can* threaten to take the dealer to court to challenge the contract for non-performance on the dealer's part, but he cannot just decide that the contract is void without violation of a SPECIFIC clause or *explicit* violation of state or federal contract law. Even then, it's likely a court date, or lawyering up to send the complaint and notice to the dealer with hopes they will provide some acceptable remedy to avoid court.

In any case, the OP has to continue making payments while working through the process, regardless of his feelings, travel plans, time and effort, etc.

Unfortunately sad but true...

Best of luck!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 PM
lendellmm3
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear you had problems. Got a clean c6 corvette from carmax last year as well w 50k miles. Up to 90k now. I've had problems as well w he car. Starter blew out left me stranded, leak from radiator (replaced), seat switch failed. I got the extended warranty however and went through the dealership to get all repairs. The extended warranty have clearance for all the repairs quickly w no issues. Never had the carmax shop fix any issues but there warranty was worth it due to all the repairs I've had to do.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

To repeat myself, I would very carefully read the 30 day warranty before making any decisions...as in contacting an attorney.
The warranty will say what is covered and what is not but probably won't go into detail regarding satisfaction on a potentially unfixable (by the them) vehicle.
If they do fix the car I would try to get them to give you (either free or at a drastically reduced charge) their extended warranty.
In the meantime, as others have stated, you need to keep making your payments regardless of how painful that may be.
Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a C6 from Carmax, found issues and a month later car is still getting "fixed"

Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I would politely ask for my money back. If that fails, an initial consultation with an attorney doesn't cost that much. At least you would know where you stand.
The following users liked this post:
JKHolman (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I would demand a refund or lawyer up and then file for lost work time, rental car charges, pain, suffering, and anything else like.....waving to other Corvettes driving by while you were in the month long rental, but not one person waved back causing you mental anguish and suffering.[/QUOTE]

You know, no other corvette driver i passed by or see in an intersection has ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever waved BACK at me. "waved BACK". BAAAACK. you hear that? I wave!! And no one waves back!!! I feel like an estupido idiota imbecile! Drives me nuts.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:24 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
I would politely ask for my money back. If that fails, an initial consultation with an attorney doesn't cost that much. At least you would know where you stand.
He has a better chance in asking for a different car. He's not going to get his money back.

Quick Reply: Bought a C6 from Carmax, found issues and a month later car is still getting "fixed"