C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 c6 active handling " runaround" by gm

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:29 PM
kpvetgo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 c6 " RECALL: "Active Handling - runaround" by gm

Last week my 2006 c6 suffered a malfunction on the freeway while i was doing 65 mph. The steering wheel was snatched out of my hand when the vehicle violently pulled to the left. A SERVICE MESSAGE CAME ON THE DASH " SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING" .
I stopped the car and limped home. After contacting "gm, chevy, customer service and the recall division at gm....i was given the complete run around !
They informed me that. " yes the 2005- 2006 c6 corvettes did in fact have a recall for " active handling defects". But, " they stated my vin number was not part of the recall" !! ?? The car suffered from the same problem that is covered under the recall, the same deadly and dangerous defect as the other cars...but, not covered by gm because of my vin" ???!!! This is totally bogus on behalf of gm. All they needed to do ws include my car due to it's defect. They would rather have a customer get into a serious accident than approve the repairs under the warranty that my vette needs. I am thinking of buying a viper the next time....i'm over gm and chevy !!!

Last edited by kpvetgo; 12-28-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Happening at speed on the freeway is really bad, probably just as bad as having the same failure when driving down a mountain road.
I had similar issue years ago with mine, but fortunately it would happen at low speed when making left turns in a parking lot for example.
The service department at my dealer determined the problem was due to a bad steering position sensor. They also did the fix associated with the wiring harness (telescoping steering wiring... recall). Prior to repairs, I would frequently get the service active handling, and calibrating active handling messages on the DIC.

I checked the NHTSA site. Here the the VIN number ranges for the recall. VEHICLES INVOLVED
are certain 2005 and 2006 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with a
tilt and telescoping steering column (N37), and built within these VIN breakpoints:
Year Division Model From Through
2005 Chevrolet Corvette 55100001 55137341
2006 Chevrolet Corvette 65100001 65115536
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS
Here's the link with the full detail. I hope this helps.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...0V172-2715.pdf

Last edited by Jimbeaux; 12-28-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:48 PM
kpvetgo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jimbeaux
happening at speed on the freeway is really bad, probably just as bad as having the same failure when driving down a mountain road.
I had similar issue years ago with mine, but fortunately it would happen at low speed when making left turns in a parking lot for example.
The service department at my dealer determined the problem was due to a bad steering position sensor. They also did the fix associated with the wiring harness (telescoping steering wiring... Recall). Prior to repairs, i would frequently get the service active handling, and calibrating active handling messages on the dic.

I checked the nhtsa site. Here the the vin number ranges for the recall. Vehicles involved
are certain 2005 and 2006 model year chevrolet corvette vehicles equipped with a
tilt and telescoping steering column (n37), and built within these vin breakpoints:
Year division model from through
2005 chevrolet corvette 55100001 55137341
2006 chevrolet corvette 65100001 65115536
important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using gmvis
here's the link with the full detail. I hope this helps.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...0v172-2715.pdf
i went through the proper channels. Gm headquarters, the dealership, customer service, etc. They all gave me the same song and dance . " my vin number wasn't covered under this recall was the story i was given." i have since filed complaints with nhtsa, and od1. I'm going to keep fighting.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:06 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to hear...my z06 did the same thing last week at 35mph...told the dealer the SA told me it's not a big deal LOL

I have not been able to replicate the issue so have no idea how to fix this
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

While you are fighting you should have the service done anyway. The cost is under $100.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

From what I have read, there were 13 people killed because of a steering column defect before GM had a recall, and then they tried to get out of paying the dead family members lawsuits. So do you really think they care about you??..I will never buy a new GM product ever again....The only reason I have Corvette's is because I buy used cars.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-28-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 PM
kpvetgo
4th Gear

It's sometimes more detailed than just " Having the service- power steering fluid changed" . The more I dig, the more "Electrical, Connections, Sensors, etc " come up. This is a serious deadly problem.....That Gm / Chevy has swept under the rug.

Last edited by kpvetgo; 12-28-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by kpvetgo
It's sometimes more detailed than just " Having the service- power steering fluid changed" . The more I dig, the more "Electrical, Connections, Sensors, etc " come up. This is a serious deadly problem.....That Gm / Chevy has swept under the rug.
So then what will you do, either stop driving the car or wait till it happens again? Who said anything about power steering fluid? They put a plastic clip in place to hold the SWPS connector secure.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:57 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I want to hold back but this "everything should be a recall" crap gets so annoying over and over again. You have a 9 year old car. We don't know if you are the original owner, if you car has 1M miles on it, if you drive in winter through miles of salt coated roads or if you simply beat the crap out of it. Are we supposed to sympathize with you because your car has developed a problem after 9 years of use? Just take it in and get it fixed. YOU DRIVE A CORVETTE for goodness sakes. I can think of 100 other things on the car that could break and cause an accident but you must simply accept those because I haven't seen you post about it, ever. Sorry for the rant.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:08 PM
kpvetgo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EVRose
So then what will you do, either stop driving the car or wait till it happens again? Who said anything about power steering fluid? They put a plastic clip in place to hold the SWPS connector secure.
IT'S at the dealer getting repaired....... " My point for the post was to alert other owners to the danger.....and GM'' s garbage handling of a serious situation" . No way I could drive this malfunctioning vehicle.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This issue is well known and was widely posted in this Forum.

The repair for the steering wheel connector was a TSB not a full recall.

However, there are other components that can affect/create the problem.

The short-term solution until you can get it repaired is to turn off AH as soon as you start the car.

Glad you were able to control your car before it 'steered' you into the ditch/etc. This is the worst case scenario for this malfunction.

Let us know how your dealer handles this, and what they determine is the cause.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WW7
...I will never buy a new GM product ever again....The only reason I have Corvette's is because I buy used cars.....WW
Say what? That just gave me a nice laff.
Yuppers, don't never buy new...wait, and if the dern thing doesn't self-destruct and kill somebody THEN buy it!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I want to hold back but this "everything should be a recall" crap gets so annoying over and over again. You have a 9 year old car. We don't know if you are the original owner, if you car has 1M miles on it, if you drive in winter through miles of salt coated roads or if you simply beat the crap out of it. Are we supposed to sympathize with you because your car has developed a problem after 9 years of use? Just take it in and get it fixed. YOU DRIVE A CORVETTE for goodness sakes. I can think of 100 other things on the car that could break and cause an accident but you must simply accept those because I haven't seen you post about it, ever. Sorry for the rant.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Well said
Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Say what? That just gave me a nice laff.
Yuppers, don't never buy new...wait, and if the dern thing doesn't self-destruct and kill somebody THEN buy it!
Maybe I need to explain....Yes, I like the Corvette, I just don't happen to like GMs practices..I refuse to buy new, so they get none of the money from the sale..Hell, I also don't buy Exxon gas because of that company refusing to clean up the oil spill they caused many years ago....When a company shows disregard for people , or the environment, I don't do business with them ever again...It's just how I am..If more people did the same, maybe these companys would think twice next time.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-29-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:08 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WW7
From what I have read, there were 13 people killed because of a steering column defect before GM had a recall.....WW
Originally Posted by WW7
...I refuse to buy new, so they get none of the money from the sale...If more people did the same......WW.
Gotcha. You have no problem buying a car from your next door neighbor (who bought the car new from GM) that may kill you, you just don't want to give your money DIRECTLY to GM. Perhaps, if you didn't buy a GM product at all...
Ah, just bustin yer chops...
Old 12-29-2015, 10:13 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Gotcha. You have no problem buying a car from your next door neighbor (who bought the car new from GM) that may kill you, you just don't want to give your money DIRECTLY to GM. Perhaps, if you didn't buy a GM product at all...
Ah, just bustin yer chops...
Hey, If Ford made a car like the Corvette, you guys would "never" have to put up with me.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-29-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:38 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WW7
Hey, If Ford made a car like the Corvette, you guys would "never" have to put up with me.....WW...
And you don't want to help out your union brothers by buying new...

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 c6 active handling " runaround" by gm

Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 AM
DAVIDYR1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
Happening at speed on the freeway is really bad, probably just as bad as having the same failure when driving down a mountain road.
The service department at my dealer determined the problem was due to a bad steering position sensor. They also did the fix associated with the wiring harness (telescoping steering wiring... recall). Prior to repairs, I would frequently get the service active handling, and calibrating active handling messages on the DIC.

I checked the NHTSA site. Here the the VIN number ranges for the recall. VEHICLES INVOLVED
are certain 2005 and 2006 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with a
tilt and telescoping steering column (N37), and built within these VIN breakpoints:
Year Division Model From Through
2005 Chevrolet Corvette 55100001 55137341
2006 Chevrolet Corvette 65100001 65115536
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS
Here's the link with the full detail. I hope this helps.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...0V172-2715.pdf

Thank you for posting that recall!!!
I've been having the exact same problem on my 2005.
My Dealer has been giving me the run around since April and just refusing to deal with this. As such I've filed a complaint with GM Head office....and the funny part is that now with this thread, that attached recall notice is all I needed to get this handled.
I just got off the phone with my new dealer, obviously wont go back to that other one....gave them the recall notice, and sure enough...my car falls under the recall.
No questions, no run around....appointment booked for spring time to have it dealt with. Finally!

Big thanks for the info here Jim.

David
Old 12-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVIDYR1
My Dealer has been giving me the run around since April and just refusing to deal with this. As such I've filed a complaint with GM Head office....and the funny part is that now with this thread, that attached recall notice is all I needed to get this handled.
I just got off the phone with my new dealer, obviously wont go back to that other one....gave them the recall notice, and sure enough...my car falls under the recall.
No questions, no run around....appointment booked for spring time to have it dealt with. Finally!

David
Hello David,

Glad to be of help and that you've found a dealer that will take care of this for you!
The following users liked this post:
DAVIDYR1 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 11:12 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVIDYR1

David
I checked the serial number and my car, an it falls within the recalled numbers...If I go to GM will they be able to tell me if the recall has already been done on my car?...I've only had the car 3 weeks...Also , if the repair hasn't been done to my car yet, and I'm not having the problem yet, will they still proform the repair....Thanks WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-29-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 c6 active handling " runaround" by gm