C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Supercharger advice

Guys, I have an 07 with 27K miles and have been contemplating a supercharger. I thought about a cam, headers and exhaust, but we drive this car on road trips, and I want to keep the ride close to stock, but with the extra hp. Thinking about an Edlebrock E Force. Have any of you gone this route, and what do you think?
Old 01-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

You won't feel the full benefits unless you do headers as well.
The following users liked this post:
Ben101er (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:30 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Suggest you talk to the guys in the C6 Forced Induction Forum. Also suggest you add info about exactly what you want from the car like, some racing, no racing, daily driver, weekend toy plus the occasional road trips, etc. They are going to ask you anyway so might as well specify as much as possible up front. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-nitrous-123/
Ben101er (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

When it comes to supercharging, there are two distinctly different routes that can be taken. Blowers like the E-Force and Magnuson are positive displacement type superchargers and increase horsepower and torque at all RPM. They offer more low end grunt, and have an obvious effect on power output and control-ability every time you drive the car. They are fun, reliable, and sometimes cause excessive rear tire wear. (Hence the fun)
The other option is a centrifugal supercharger like the A&A, Paxton, etc. These superchargers have similar peak horsepower gains, but do not add as much (or sometimes any) boost at low RPM. This makes the car a little easier to drive as a daily driver, and some say allows for better launches because of the reduced torque at lower RPM. The amount of boost and where it begins can be controlled somewhat by changing the diameter of the drive pulley. Again, these systems are fun, and reliable. They also are a little easier to install, because the stock intake remains on the motor.

So it's really up to you. If you want more HP and grunt at all RPM's the Edelbrock or Magnusen are probably going to make you really happy. But if you want to retain all of the low RPM driveability and around town fuel economy, the centifugal method may be better suited. Both systems work very well, and both are reliable and offer significant power increases.

Garry
The following 4 users liked this post by Garry in AZ:
A-A-Ron (01-02-2016), Ben101er (01-01-2016), bgspot (01-01-2016), Torchsport (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:51 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
When it comes to supercharging, there are two distinctly different routes that can be taken. Blowers like the E-Force and Magnuson are positive displacement type superchargers and increase horsepower and torque at all RPM. They offer more low end grunt, and have an obvious effect on power output and control-ability every time you drive the car. They are fun, reliable, and sometimes cause excessive rear tire wear. (Hence the fun)
The other option is a centrifugal supercharger like the A&A, Paxton, etc. These superchargers have similar peak horsepower gains, but do not add as much (or sometimes any) boost at low RPM. This makes the car a little easier to drive as a daily driver, and some say allows for better launches because of the reduced torque at lower RPM. The amount of boost and where it begins can be controlled somewhat by changing the diameter of the drive pulley. Again, these systems are fun, and reliable. They also are a little easier to install, because the stock intake remains on the motor.

So it's really up to you. If you want more HP and grunt at all RPM's the Edelbrock or Magnusen are probably going to make you really happy. But if you want to retain all of the low RPM driveability and around town fuel economy, the centifugal method may be better suited. Both systems work very well, and both are reliable and offer significant power increases.

Garry
I'd love to read your post but the blue is killing my eyes....stop it!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ

Garry
Thanks, Gary. As you can see by the 27K on an 07 model, we drive on weekends, and a few trips. Drivability is a premium for me, so the A&A is probably my best bet, plus, it is $1900 less than the Edlebrock. From what I have read, the A&A will add 175 rwhp, without making other mods, and give me good drivability. I am still going to do some more research, but this may be the best route for me to take.

Last edited by Ben101er; 01-01-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Steve Haefner
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ben101er
Guys, I have an 07 with 27K miles and have been contemplating a supercharger. I thought about a cam, headers and exhaust, but we drive this car on road trips, and I want to keep the ride close to stock, but with the extra hp. Thinking about an Edlebrock E Force. Have any of you gone this route, and what do you think?
I agree with Gary for sure on the centrifugal supercharger and ProCharger is the king! A little right up on how it works...

https://www.procharger.com/centrifugal-supercharger

Last edited by Steve Haefner; 01-01-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Ben101er (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

OP I went with the A&A for the same reasons you're considering your upgrade. Got 33mpg on my last trip up north. You do not have to have headers or any other mods to have a supercharger installed and tuned. But supporting mods like headers, meth, pulley sizes, etc all aid in reliability, hp increase and delivery.
Do visit the Forced Induction forum, I did for months before finalizing my decision and couldn't be happier. I still have lots of room to grow hp and speed wise, should I want to go that route. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Ben101er (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 05:54 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I went with the A&A for the reasons Gary mentioned, plus like you've already seen, the centri kits are less expensive than the PD blowers. Our cars really don't need any more low end TQ, but the A&A with the V3 Si builds boost quickly and makes a noticeable difference at 2,500rpm (I picked up probably 50lb-ft at 2,500 with the base A&A kit). Also, the centri style blowers are easier to make big numbers with, although it doesn't sound like that's your goal. Also, you don't have to do headers, but it will definitely help it breathe better. I made 600RWHP with the base A&A V3 Si with just LS7 exhaust manifolds, and am currently at 672RWHP with gutted cats, meth injection and a smaller pulley.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to agree with many of the responses. I ended with the ECS kit & American racing headers. I have an 08 , automatic with 27k miles. I love it. 550 rwhp & instant power. I asked guys at car shows and read the forced induction forum. I am looking at tires now to control some of that added power. It's a lot of fun! You can still drive it normal. It fits under the stock hood. You do hear the "whine" which I like of the supercharger.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 PM
brian90505
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose the Vortech/A&A for my 2007 with no regrets. Great service from A&A, no issues with the system, 600 to the wheels and it's California smog legal with Z06 manifolds/cats and Borla x pipe. All of the systems for the C6 will make you power. Just a matter of preference.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by brian90505
I chose the Vortech/A&A for my 2007 with no regrets. Great service from A&A, no issues with the system, 600 to the wheels and it's California smog legal with Z06 manifolds/cats and Borla x pipe. All of the systems for the C6 will make you power. Just a matter of preference.
How will you register your car without the emission recall performed?

Dealerships will not do it with Z06 manifolds in place.

Just so others understand that your care isn't legally compliant.

Yadda you may have the sticky anyway but in reality others will have problems if thinking that the Z06 manifolds are legal in California now.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:30 AM
brian90505
Drifting

The OP asked for opinions on superchargers. I gave him one. As far as an emissions recall, I have not received a notice on one. My car went in for smog a couple weeks ago and passed. That, to me, is compliant. Not gonna hash out the semantics of the word.

Maybe you could start a thread on this recall for guys like me who are uninformed. (rather than taking the OP's post off topic.)

Originally Posted by Boomer111
How will you register your car without the emission recall performed?

Dealerships will not do it with Z06 manifolds in place.

Just so others understand that your care isn't legally compliant.

Yadda you may have the sticky anyway but in reality others will have problems if thinking that the Z06 manifolds are legal in California now.
yellowzron (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

I went the 610 E-Force route on my GS. 610 BHP / 565 lbs-ft of torque

Package includes:
• Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger
• Dual bar & plate intercoolers
• Properly sized fuel injectors
• Kenne Bell boosta-pump
• Lingenfelter160 Degree thermostat
• NGK V-Power plugs
* High Flow Air Intake
• Professional installation, testing and dyno tuning

No other mods. Really fun to drive and unless you get on it (which is often) you would never no it had more power. Heat soak hasn't been an issue except on open track day. I am going to add Meth this spring which will add another 30-40hp. May look into a different oil cooler set up to drop temps but still on the fence since this is not a track car.

Not interested in headers, too many fitment issues. I have had my share of header leaks in the past and I am beyond that.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:25 PM
TheJimer
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an Edlebrock E-force on my 2006 ZO6 (657HP) and love it. Well mannered for daily street driving, but one wild ride when you put your right foot into the GO pedal.

Jim
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 PM
tloon
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
I have an Edlebrock E-force on my 2006 ZO6 (657HP) and love it. Well mannered for daily street driving, but one wild ride when you put your right foot into the GO pedal.

Jim
Me too, on my '10 GS. All good and a LOT of fun. 510 RWH & 500 tq. Otherwise completely stock and 50 state legal.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:37 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

LPE 670 he Edelbrock setup here. Stock-like drivability, 24mpg on highway averaging 80mph.

Agree with the others that the centrifugal blower has more potential for high HP, but I'm not sure that's what you're after.

Both types will drive like stock if you're at cruise, and you will be happy with either. Been running both types of blowers on late model hotrod for 20yrs. You can achieve great reliability, gas mileage, street manners and more with either.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger advice

Old 01-02-2016, 08:48 PM
brian90505
Drifting

Does the Eforce make any blower noise?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:40 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by brian90505
Does the Eforce make any blower noise?
I can't hear mine at all, really, even with the NPP mufflers in closed/quiet position. It's a quiet blower.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 PM
brian90505
Drifting

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
I can't hear mine at all, really, even with the NPP mufflers in closed/quiet position. It's a quiet blower.
Nice. i've heard good things on the E-force.

Quick Reply: Supercharger advice