C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faded marks on my black vert's top

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default faded marks on my black vert's top

Is there any remedy for some lightly faded marks on my black canvas top? Thanks, Brian
Old 01-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I've heard there are some upholstery shops that can dye the tops. I have not really searched my area for one yet though.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Burch (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:58 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Are you sure they are faded marks ?..... mine has a few marks that I think you are talking about and I could see where someone may think they are fading but it actually looks like the material may be kinda matting down and possibly even wearing from being pressed against parts of the frame and held in that position the whole time the top is down....if that makes sense. To answer your question, i've never tried to get rid of them as they are not that bad yet. I may try combing and/or brushing the material back up when I do tackle it. But if its wearing out then it may just be the nature of the beast and sooner or later a new top will be in order.
The following 2 users liked this post by windyC6:
Brian Burch (01-02-2016), Rebel Yell (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Hebebad
Racer

Originally Posted by windyC6
Are you sure they are faded marks ?..... mine has a few marks that I think you are talking about and I could see where someone may think they are fading but it actually looks like the material may be kinda matting down and possibly even wearing from being pressed against parts of the frame and held in that position the whole time the top is down....if that makes sense. To answer your question, i've never tried to get rid of them as they are not that bad yet. I may try combing and/or brushing the material back up when I do tackle it. But if its wearing out then it may just be the nature of the beast and sooner or later a new top will be in order.
Thank you for your reply. That may be exactly what my problem is. Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Brian, windy hit the nail on the head. Try a soft bristle brush, and some dawn in water. I use a light circular motion when I clean mine. Sometimes that will make them harder to see. The marks come from the top being down, pressing the cloth together. I figure it's the price I pay to own a drop top.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-02-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Brian Burch (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Hebebad
Racer

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Brian, windy hit the nail on the head. Try a soft bristle brush, and some dawn in water. I use a light circular motion when I clean mine. Sometimes that will make them harder to see. The marks come from the top being down, pressing the cloth together. I figure it's the price I pay to own a drop top.
This info is really good to know! Thanks.
Rebel Yell (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 03:00 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Brian Burch
This info is really good to know! Thanks.
My '05and '11 have done the same thing, at the back edge of the side windows. I have used mother's back to black sparingly...
Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
A-men to that Rebel....and a small price to pay it is considering the benefits of going topless !!!!...
Rebel Yell (01-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To faded marks on my black vert's top

Quick Reply: faded marks on my black vert's top