C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod Prices are too darn high

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 03:37 AM
travbjork
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mod Prices are too darn high

Hey y'all,

So I've been looking at various mods and putting a little cash into my car, but... do you ever feel like they're gouging us for being Corvette owners?

I feel like a good example is this -
http://shop.aprperformance.com/index...&product_id=87

It's a CF Spoiler, super simple, small, easy to install. I feel $200-300 would be comfortable, but $800?

For comparison, an entire HUD unit with switches and harness is only $450. (+install of course, but you can judge how much your time is worth.)

With all that said, do you guys have a 1-stop-shop for all your gear? Feel free to share links! I'll pay what I have to, but I feel like the things I Google aren't favoring my results, just hating on my wallet haha

Thanks! (I'm on an allowance haha)
Old 01-02-2016, 03:50 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

There's always Honda.

Hahahaha.

Sometimes, this is the trade-off. But yes, sometimes I will agree we pay a premium for mods. Amplify that for anything Ferrari, Porsche, or Lamborghini.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:57 AM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
There's always Honda.

Hahahaha.

Sometimes, this is the trade-off. But yes, sometimes I will agree we pay a premium for mods. Amplify that for anything Ferrari, Porsche, or Lamborghini.
Haha oh no, no Honda for me. Actually, I don't even own a car right now with more than two seats... My Mom thinks I'm a crazy person. No kids though lol. I owned a 360 for about a year, so I understand that side of the coin.

Anyway, I don't care how much money you have, I look at that spoiler (or any mod really) and think - what's it really worth to me. It's not actually doing anything. I could care less if it's carbon fiber or plastic. In that particular case, it's about aesthetic.

So any advice would be pretty badass!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:45 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by travbjork
it's about aesthetic.
You said a mouthful there, since some of the mods being sold do not add any performance gains, and with some spoilers where someone adds just the zr1 rear spoiler without the front splinter and side skirts, actually a step in the wrong direction since it just made the front end lift even more.

But to back it all up, it called Corvette tax. Hence the car cost more to buy and own, and the vendors figure because of such, can charge more for the product due to the owners that will own the vet in the first place.

So if you want cheap parts, then buy a Honda, since the ricer market is pretty flooded with vendors due to demand, and the vendors selling the ricers parts most of the time, are the ones pricing them the cheapest.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:17 AM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
There's always Honda.

Hahahaha.

Originally Posted by Dano523
You said a mouthful there, since some of the mods being sold do not add any performance gains, and with some spoilers where someone adds just the zr1 rear spoiler without the front splinter and side skirts, actually a step in the wrong direction since it just made the front end lift even more.

But to back it all up, it called Corvette tax. Hence the car cost more to buy and own, and the vendors figure because of such, can charge more for the product due to the owners that will own the vet in the first place.

So if you want cheap parts, then buy a Honda, since the ricer market is pretty flooded with vendors due to demand, and the vendors selling the ricers parts most of the time, are the ones pricing them the cheapest.
Appreciate you chiming in I don't know, most things are fine. The cheap-o kinda fake-o spoiler just got to me tonight.

If y'all think a $600 mark up on a non-functional spoiler is Corvette tax, then I definitely trust you all.

Also, I asked for places you guys shop online, if you don't mind reading/replying to my entire post

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

If you're looking for carbon fiber, i recommend C7 Carbon, they're vendors in here. Look for their package deals. I think you could be better off bundling several items together. There is a definite Vette tax.
Plan your mods according to which direction you want to go, shop the fir sale section diligently and you'll save some coin if you dont mind used. I don't. ..
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Why do you have to anything? The car is fast enough, looks good already. My 11 GS is the only car i have not moded, and have no plans to do so. My 79 and 89 were heavily moded because they sat too high, had too little tire and anemic engines. Honestly i do not even use the hud in my 11. And prices too, 2K for headers to get 20 horsepower? Not worth it in a car with 435 on tap. Maybe a tune, that is all. However what ever makes you happy is the motto around here.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

OP, to answer your question...YES, we get hosed all the time for anything corvette! I agree prices are crazy, just one example...headers, for a vette they are $1500 but any other car $500. I always hear that is the price we have to pay to own a corvette!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:43 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Hey y'all,

So I've been looking at various mods and putting a little cash into my car, but... do you ever feel like they're gouging us for being Corvette owners?

It's a CF Spoiler, super simple, small, easy to install. I feel $200-300 would be comfortable, but $800?

For comparison, an entire HUD unit with switches and harness is only $450. (+install of course, but you can judge how much your time is worth.)

With all that said, do you guys have a 1-stop-shop for all your gear? Feel free to share links! I'll pay what I have to, but I feel like the things I Google aren't favoring my results, just hating on my wallet haha ::

Thanks! (I'm on an allowance haha) ::
You can't be 'gouged' for optional purchases. OTOH, if you think the mods' pricing are vastly enriching the vendors, by all means grow rich yourself by offering identical mods for much less. We'll all abandon them and come buy from you and then money will be no object for you to buy mods for your ride.

It'll be a win-win! Go for it. I'm waiting.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (01-04-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 09:23 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Lots of other choices beyond APR for spoilers.
The spoiler is a functional piece on the Corvette & APR is one of the few that actually builds them to be durable and functional at the high speeds the Corvette is capable of.
Jc Whitney might be a good place to look JK
Proud Owner (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 09:32 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

To answer your question about who I buy from, I buy from whoever has the best price for the item I want..Almost all the big venders get the items for the same price, if they want me to buy the product, sell it for a lower price then the others..I agree , most aftermarket items are way over priced...I have seen some sell items for the Corvette at a higher price , when the item also fits other cars and they charge a lower price...Greed, the American way......WW
Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Gouging just because its a Corvette ??.......surely you jest !!!!....LOL. But you think this is bad....take a walk into your local Harley dealer and then you won't feel quite so bad.
RobLo (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:05 AM
pyrodav
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Lets say you R&D headers for cars and on average it costs you $175k in time, material and tooling. Not to mention other unforeseen costs. Take the number of Mustangs available to mod and the number of Vettes available to mod. To get your return and turn a profit in the same amount of time which do you think is gonna cost more? It is simple supply and demand. BTW there are decent headers out there for under $900

Im not saying there isn't a Corvette tax...but most things are priced fair to market. My buddy has had a GS for 3 yrs. now. I bought mine a couple months ago. I immediately started modding mine and my buddy is pissed because Ive forced him to spend a couple thousand to keep up

Last edited by pyrodav; 01-02-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Rapid Fred (01-04-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Gouging just because its a Corvette ??.......surely you jest !!!!....LOL. But you think this is bad....take a walk into your local Harley dealer and then you won't feel quite so bad.

It's even worse at Harley -- overpriced *and* there is only ONE design theme choice: everything must be chrome and skullz.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

It's even worse at Harley -- overpriced *and* there is only ONE design theme choice: everything must be chrome and skullz.
The last parts I got for my Harley (years ago), were all made overseas too. Even the coffee cup the dealership gave me that said HD all over it....yep...a 'made in China' sticker on the bottom.

Last edited by jft69z; 01-02-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Todds427
OP, to answer your question...YES, we get hosed all the time for anything corvette! I agree prices are crazy, just one example...headers, for a vette they are $1500 but any other car $500. I always hear that is the price we have to pay to own a corvette!
I like to see what is up on things like that also, so I priced out a comparable set of headers that are available from forum vendors, both stainless steel & made in the USA.
brand X +++ $1720
brand Y +++ $840
Same when comparing a popular air filter
Vendor X $175
Amazon $150
Maybe they don't know that we shop the internet like hair rollered women I do
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
Lots of other choices beyond APR for spoilers.
The spoiler is a functional piece on the Corvette & APR is one of the few that actually builds them to be durable and functional at the high speeds the Corvette is capable of.
Jc Whitney might be a good place to look JK

I could care less if it's carbon fiber or plastic. In that particular case, it's about aesthetic.

So any advice would be pretty badass!
A couple of thoughts. Whether we like it or not carbon fiber pieces are more expensive than fiberglass. If you don't care then look into fiberglass spoilers from C7 Carbon or RPI.

What I've found is by the time I get a fiberglass spoiler and have it prepped and painted I'm close to the carbon fiber price.

As others have said there's a lot of choices in spoilers, do some research.

Get notified of new replies

To Mod Prices are too darn high

Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

The Corvette tax is a load of bs. I typically wait for deals on used parts & do things myself.

For example, rather than waste a **** ton of $ on pre-painted parts, I paint everything myself. A Pillars, interior bits, etc.

Imagine if we were modding an exotic. I don't even wanna think about those mark ups!

Last edited by Never-Enough; 01-02-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:10 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey y'all,

With all that said, do you guys have a 1-stop-shop for all your gear? Feel free to share links! I'll pay what I have to, but I feel like the things I Google aren't favoring my results, just hating on my wallet haha

Thanks! (I'm on an allowance haha)
I feel your pain BIG TIME.... I'm the same as u. Funds are at a premium and any aftermarket part for a CORVETTE has that "luxury tax". This is the same with any aftermarket part for a brand called Harley Davidson!!!! I feel that pain also. But I've learned to be patient and go for a mod at a time. It may take longer but it will happen. There are sites, PerformanceCorvettes that offer refund for the old piece like for say fuel rails. $50 when you mail them the old ones. I've used them for my cosmetic exterior parts. They used the picture I sent them of my car with the carbon fiber rear spoiler that also shows CF license plate frame. Give them a look. They are a Forum Vendor. Almost forgot, Hydrocarbon mimics real CF for a fraction of the price and IMO looks better, classy

Last edited by KenVette57; 01-02-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,818 Likes on 1,966 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by windyC6

...Yeah that....or take a stroll into your local Peterbilt dealership to see what real mods cost......holy moly you can drop a lot in a short time there....

Quick Reply: Mod Prices are too darn high