C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:20 PM
rkm812
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very frustrated

Got to vent somewhere. I bought a new set of rims and tires, (new to me). Michelins, they only have 3,000, like new. I had to buy new TPMS to match my year of car (2011 coupe). A little warmer today so I jacked the car up took the rears off and ran them down to the tire shop so they could put the new sensors in. I got a call in an hour, they were ready. I get to the store and the fella went out to get the tires and asked that I step out and look at something. He said I really don't imagine this nail was sticking out of the sidewall when you brought these in was it? WTH! There was a huge nail stuck right in the side wall with about an 1" 1/2 sticking outside the tire. Of course they didn't have that size tire in stock so I need to wait until next week so they can get one from Michelin. This was an intentional act for what ever reason. I'll be going somewhere else with the front two.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Steve Haefner
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Sucks man, a normal shop or a performance shop? Just wondering
Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rkm812
Got to vent somewhere. I bought a new set of rims and tires, (new to me). Michelins, they only have 3,000, like new. I had to buy new TPMS to match my year of car (2011 coupe). A little warmer today so I jacked the car up took the rears off and ran them down to the tire shop so they could put the new sensors in. I got a call in an hour, they were ready. I get to the store and the fella went out to get the tires and asked that I step out and look at something. He said I really don't imagine this nail was sticking out of the sidewall when you brought these in was it? WTH! There was a huge nail stuck right in the side wall with about an 1" 1/2 sticking outside the tire. Of course they didn't have that size tire in stock so I need to wait until next week so they can get one from Michelin. This was an intentional act for what ever reason. I'll be going somewhere else with the front two.
Does that mean that he admits that either someone in the shop, or someone on their premises, stuck the nail in your tire? Are they replacing it free?
Old 01-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

That's BS, I hope they replace it at no cost to you!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

What shop in Denver, and who did you **** off to shove a nail in your tire????

Or is the shop so slow that they are trying to make money off damaging the tire on purpose, and get money off the road hazard protection you bought on the tires to replace the damaged tire instead?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 AM
rkm812
Instructor

The guy who showed me the nail knew that it happened in the shop, but wasn't willing to point fingers at anyone. I don't know if I pissed someone off by bringing in my own sensors or if someone felt that I was too arrogant by taking the wheels off the car instead of driving it in. I know I didn't **** anyone off when I dropped them off, I didn't have any words with anyone. They said they will replace the tire. We didn't talk cost since it's obvious the tire was damaged at the shop. Hope I'm right. All this place does is tires and supposedly has a good reputation.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:06 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I suspect the owner has already had a "talk" with the guy who pounded the nail in. Chances are good he doesn't work there anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Panhead
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I suspect the owner has already had a "talk" with the guy who pounded the nail in. Chances are good he doesn't work there anymore.
I agree.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 AM
rkm812
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I sure hope so. I just don't understand who or why someone would do that. It's beyond me.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:54 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

The guy who showed me the nail knew that it happened in the shop, but wasn't willing to point fingers at anyone. I don't know if I pissed someone off by bringing in my own sensors or if someone felt that I was too arrogant by taking the wheels off the car instead of driving it in. I know I didn't **** anyone off when I dropped them off, I didn't have any words with anyone. They said they will replace the tire. We didn't talk cost since it's obvious the tire was damaged at the shop. Hope I'm right. All this place does is tires and supposedly has a good reputation.
I gotta give some kudos to the manager/owner for admitting right out that it somehow happened at his shop. At least he didn't try to lie his way out of it. Best he can do is order a new tire and replace it. I think you are fortunate you took only the wheels/tires in...what might they have done to your car if you had taken it in????

Find a shop where higher-priced performance cars are not a rarity, and you will not have to worry as much about some jealous azzhead vandalizing your ride.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Again, what shop, since I keep my vet at the house in Denver.

Hence could of been a accident with someone dropping a tire over and the nail driving through it without it being intentional,

But short of that, If you have one guy in the shop that is pissed/disgruntle and would do such on purpose, you can bank that there are other staff out in the garage area are not happy working their either with the same mind set and might do the same as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Wth ?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

You should never had a issue with any shop, IMHO, bringing in your own parts and paying someone to do the work for you. I used to do this all the time with motorcycle tires for years with no issues what so ever.
Get the tire and runaway from this crappy shop.

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-04-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The shop did the right thing. I would bring in the other 2 wheel/tires and have the manager go over them before you leave. Should not be an issue this time. Are they going to program the sensors when you get them on the car?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:10 PM
rkm812
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Again, what shop, since I keep my vet at the house in Denver.

Hence could of been a accident with someone dropping a tire over and the nail driving through it without it being intentional,

But short of that, If you have one guy in the shop that is pissed/disgruntle and would do such on purpose, you can bank that there are other staff out in the garage area are not happy working their either with the same mind set and might do the same as well.
I really don't want to name drop until the issue is dealt with and finalized. I stopped by the shop this AM and was told my the manager that he had never seen such a thing in 20 years of dealing with tires. He said they would fix me up with a comparable tire....I told him I wanted a match set just like I had brought in on Sat. He said well it is an older tire and he didn't know if Michelin still made it. He said he would call later. It's 4 now and no word. I'll be back at his shop in the morning. As far as being an accident, no way. If it was a wood working shop or something, maybe, but this nail had to be forced in by someone. Someone has it out for someone at that tire shop.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:13 PM
rkm812
Instructor

Originally Posted by weathermaker
The shop did the right thing. I would bring in the other 2 wheel/tires and have the manager go over them before you leave. Should not be an issue this time. Are they going to program the sensors when you get them on the car?
Before I take any more tires to that shop, they will have to make this right. It was the Manager that rolled the tires in the shop to begin with, he saw that there was no nail sticking out of the sidewall an inch and a half. I have a programmer at home so programming them shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling this isn't going to end well for me.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
You should never had a issue with any shop, IMHO, bringing in your own parts and paying someone to do the work for you. I used to do this all the time with motorcycle tires for years with no issues what so ever.
Get the tire and runaway from this crappy shop.
Not necessarily true. Most, if not ALL franchise service centers will not install owner provided parts. I guess it has to do with warranty and liability issues.

You may be able to find a smaller independent to do it, but if something goes wrong with the install, the shop is just gonna blame the faulty part that YOU provided. It's a no win situation...

Get notified of new replies

To Very frustrated

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I sure hope so. I just don't understand who or why someone would do that. It's beyond me.
That's because you are a rational person looking for a rational answer.
I firmly believe we no longer live in a rational world.

Why would an 18 year old, walk up to a 75 year old woman, a complete stranger on the street, and try to knock her out with one punch?

Answer....driving nails in tires is fun!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

We are doomed. Hell must have frozen over.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

[QUOTE Hence could of been a accident with someone dropping a tire over and the nail driving through it without it being intentional,[/QUOTE]

Nail standing straight up on the shop floor, guy drops tire perfectly flat, nail pierces sidewall....reminds me of the time those little kids accidentally rode their mx bikes over the hood of a guys 'Vette...

You should send the OP a message requesting the name of the shop. Really, he should not post it here, as that crap can happen anywhere, but I agree that you would want to know who it is.

Quick Reply: Very frustrated