C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to Runflat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:30 AM
kclowen
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to Runflat Tires

I have a 2007 non-Z06 that needs tires. I am not into racing, so I am just looking for a good set of tires. I currently have Michelin Runflats.

Is there a REASONABLE alternative to runflats? I know I can't carry 2 spares around, but are there cans of sealants that actually work to seal a tire well enough to get home (unless the damage is severe--but then maybe the runflats would not work under those conditions either)?

I have never had a tire lose all air on the runflats and don't know if the sidewalls are stronger to prevent a catastrophic failure (where they would not work).

Could someone please just educate me on runflats and alternatives to using them.

Ken
Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

There are several threads here about that subject, and the consensus seems to be that you:

1. Carry a plug kit
2. Carry a portable compressor
3. Make sure you have a cell phone to call for a flatbed, and OnStar if you desire
4. Make sure you have AAA and/or insurance coverage for tow expenses
5. Have a can of Fix-a-Flat or equivalent
6. And make sure you don't mind waiting a while for a tow truck to come, or the time to air the tire up yourself.

I have all except the plug kit. I figure if I have a flat that needs plugging, the already low-to-the-ground car will be sitting almost on the ground and I'd never get to it to plug it. It's not as easy as it sounds if you have a year or two on your bod. So if I can't pump it up and go a few miles, and repeat as necessary, I'll just call for a tow. If your wife drives it alone you might want to stick with runflats unless she's a "modern" woman.

The sidewalls are definitely stronger because even with no air in them, they'll still sit up and you can't tell the difference in one that is fully pressurized. But you don't want to drive very far or very fast at zero p because it'll ruin the tire, and would be dangerous to boot. Runflats may be more likely to prevent a catastrophic failure, but I have no data to back that up. Those sorts of failures are rare unless you run the tire well past its lifetime, or run over some large, sharp object (in which case nothing would help).

Regular tires are supposedly quieter and better performance, but personally, I can't really tell the difference until the runflat is about worn out, or you push the car to its limits. I had the same tire on my C5 in both runflat and nonrunflat and they seemed the same to me. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports now in non-runflat because they didn't make a runflat version when I got them. I'd go runflat now even though they're more expensive.

Last edited by RocketDawg; 01-07-2016 at 05:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Proud Owner (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 AM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by kclowen
I have a 2007 non-Z06 that needs tires. I am not into racing, so I am just looking for a good set of tires. I currently have Michelin Runflats.

Is there a REASONABLE alternative to runflats? I know I can't carry 2 spares around, but are there cans of sealants that actually work to seal a tire well enough to get home (unless the damage is severe--but then maybe the runflats would not work under those conditions either)?

I have never had a tire lose all air on the runflats and don't know if the sidewalls are stronger to prevent a catastrophic failure (where they would not work).

Could someone please just educate me on runflats and alternatives to using them.

Ken
I recently traded my base 07 for a 13 GS but the whole time I had the 07 I ran Michelin AS2 runflats. They work great in all weather and last a very long time. They don't make AS2's in GS size so I'm buying a set of Hankook non-runflats.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I switched to Hankook Ventus evo2 a couple years ago on my GS, I love them,smooth ride,quiet,great in the rain and in the performance. Treadwear is amazing! Even though I have roadside assistance I carry this in the back cubby...

Old 01-07-2016, 06:48 AM
91RS
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on mine. I guess I should get some sort of inflator to keep in it.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:26 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Depending on where you catch a nail in a tire, i picked up a nail in my rear tire about an in inch in and was slowly losing pressure, i was able to get a plug in that tire without jacking up the car, it wasn't fun but it could be done. It is my understanding that if you use that slime it can ruin your TPMS sensors. And somewhere on this forum i had read that Mercedez Benz makes a small jack that would fit in our cars, but i don't know which model Benz they were referring to.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

I have read here that someone reported having a blow out resulting with a good portion of the side wall missing.
It was a run flat, and the owner was able to still drive the car long enough to get it fixed. The tire did stay up with no wheel damage.
Something to be said about them run flats.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:55 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

For the peace of mind afforded, I'll stick with run flats.

Last edited by jrose7004; 01-07-2016 at 05:56 PM.
corvette312 (07-27-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
Depending on where you catch a nail in a tire, i picked up a nail in my rear tire about an in inch in and was slowly losing pressure, i was able to get a plug in that tire without jacking up the car, it wasn't fun but it could be done. It is my understanding that if you use that slime it can ruin your TPMS sensors. And somewhere on this forum i had read that Mercedez Benz makes a small jack that would fit in our cars, but i don't know which model Benz they were referring to.
Slime does not ruin TPMS. It did not ruin the sensor in my old BMW. I'd be curious to know what model MB jacks fit the C6

Last edited by Never-Enough; 01-07-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I have had a flat on a rear tire on my 2009 Vert with Michelin Run Flat tires...It was a piece of metal in the tread area that was non repairable due to the size of the cut...I had driven thru a accident scene before they were able to clear the road of debris and apparently ran over a piece of metal from the accident. I was about 75 miles from home when the DIC showed flat tire. I checked and couldn't tell any difference in the tire but stopped to air it back up....it slowly went down to 24 lbs as we drove home at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. Once home it sat overnight and went down to 0 . The next day I aired it back up and drove to town 10 miles to the tire store, then back home due to not having the tire in stock. Then next day aired it up and drove back to town 10 miles with it showing 17 lbs. Didn't have any problems from the tire other than it wouldn't hold air. Michelin was good enough to give me credit on the tire towards a new one due to tread depth. I would stay with the run flats...
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
For the peace of mine afforded, I'll stick with run flats.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Some of us need better traction
Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Runflats are kinda like an insurance policy and if I could get them in the size I want I would still be using them.

The non-runflats ride better, are quieter and much cheaper.

I have Nitto Invos and am very happy with them compared to prior GY RF's and Michelin ZP's.

I also now carry a Slime Kit (doesn't hurt TPMS) and AAA.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard F
I have had a flat on a rear tire on my 2009 Vert with Michelin Run Flat tires...It was a piece of metal in the tread area that was non repairable due to the size of the cut...I had driven thru a accident scene before they were able to clear the road of debris and apparently ran over a piece of metal from the accident. I was about 75 miles from home when the DIC showed flat tire. I checked and couldn't tell any difference in the tire but stopped to air it back up....it slowly went down to 24 lbs as we drove home at speeds of 65 to 70 mph. Once home it sat overnight and went down to 0 . The next day I aired it back up and drove to town 10 miles to the tire store, then back home due to not having the tire in stock. Then next day aired it up and drove back to town 10 miles with it showing 17 lbs. Didn't have any problems from the tire other than it wouldn't hold air. Michelin was good enough to give me credit on the tire towards a new one due to tread depth. I would stay with the run flats...
And if you buy them from Tire Rack, generally, they give free road hazard warranty on most of their tires.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:51 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
There are several threads here about that subject, and the consensus seems to be that you:

1. Carry a plug kit
2. Carry a portable compressor
3. Make sure you have a cell phone to call for a flatbed, and OnStar if you desire
4. Make sure you have AAA and/or insurance coverage for tow expenses
5. Have a can of Fix-a-Flat or equivalent
6. And make sure you don't mind waiting a while for a tow truck to come, or the time to air the tire up yourself.

I have all except the plug kit. I figure if I have a flat that needs plugging, the already low-to-the-ground car will be sitting almost on the ground and I'd never get to it to plug it. It's not as easy as it sounds if you have a year or two on your bod. So if I can't pump it up and go a few miles, and repeat as necessary, I'll just call for a tow. If your wife drives it alone you might want to stick with runflats unless she's a "modern" woman.

The sidewalls are definitely stronger because even with no air in them, they'll still sit up and you can't tell the difference in one that is fully pressurized. But you don't want to drive very far or very fast at zero p because it'll ruin the tire, and would be dangerous to boot. Runflats may be more likely to prevent a catastrophic failure, but I have no data to back that up. Those sorts of failures are rare unless you run the tire well past its lifetime, or run over some large, sharp object (in which case nothing would help).

Regular tires are supposedly quieter and better performance, but personally, I can't really tell the difference until the runflat is about worn out, or you push the car to its limits. I had the same tire on my C5 in both runflat and nonrunflat and they seemed the same to me. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports now in non-runflat because they didn't make a runflat version when I got them. I'd go runflat now even though they're more expensive.
Yes the sidewalls on a run flat has to be very stiff (note i am not saying strong) in order to hold the tire up without any air in it however this stiffness is the achilles heel. Besides less comfort it is also makes the sided very brittle and that is why when you hear catastrophic tire failures with portion of the side wall missing, it is run flat. Very bad pot holes, not slowing for speed bumps will do that. Missing sidewalls are unheard of when it comes to conventional tires. Worst they will get is a side wall separation and a bubble on it but not strand you. I know people will argue otherwise vehemently and emotionally, do the search on run flats, not have to go too far, go to tire racks site and read all those catastrophic failures on the run flats. Even some people wrote, if you drive in bad roads, don't buy these tires. Lot of people have lot of problems with run flats, they are chosen to be
One of the worst hated new car technologies by both customers and the industry. Some one here posted some industry reports here on the forum few months ago. I did my research when i switched to michelin ss non run flats. No regrets.
Proud Owner (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
I have read here that someone reported having a blow out resulting with a good portion of the side wall missing.
It was a run flat, and the owner was able to still drive the car long enough to get it fixed. The tire did stay up with no wheel damage.
Something to be said about them run flats.
Is this the one?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-the-win.html
Old 01-07-2016, 05:41 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Yes, good fine.

PS just realized it was your post..........

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-07-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternative to Runflat Tires

Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I have Firehawk rft's on my vette. They are a very quiet, comfortable riding tire, with good tread life. And, they are affordable compared to a lot of other corvette tires. I really don't understand the bias that some folks have against run flat tires.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:57 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Red08
I have Firehawk rft's on my vette. They are a very quiet, comfortable riding tire, with good tread life. And, they are affordable compared to a lot of other corvette tires. I really don't understand the bias that some folks have against run flat tires.
I too have Firehawks and am satisfied with them.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I am running Kumho's. They are non runflats. My biggest worry is getting a flat and then having to get a replacement tire. Could take several days to get a new tire.
My back tire runflats were needing replacement and the tire shop was unable to get my size.
I believe that runflats are safer, more expensive and rougher riding. Non runflats are cheaper. less expensive and better handing.
I have run Kumho's for 12 years on my Corvettes driving West Virginia roads with no flats.
Last flat tire was in my driveway on my truck with a three inch screw. Sometimes it is just "the luck of the draw".

Quick Reply: Alternative to Runflat Tires