C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rest in peace my good bumblebee

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:39 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The post title had me worried a bit, but as long as it was just the car and not you, I felt relieved.
Sorry about the car, but taking a break for a while and caring for family sounds enjoyable. Good choice.
The thread has me worried. I have been in rain many times in my C6 and I can see nothing that would make it less likely to have an 'adventure' such as the OP myself. I have the same tires and the OP's had plenty of tread as do mine. It's not like he was negligent in any way yet he ended up with a totaled car.
The following users liked this post:
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
The thread has me worried. I have been in rain many times in my C6 and I can see nothing that would make it less likely to have an 'adventure' such as the OP myself. I have the same tires and the OP's had plenty of tread as do mine. It's not like he was negligent in any way yet he ended up with a totaled car.
The OP was very lucky that he is OK.

When I first got my car, they had the Summer High Performance OEM GY F1 Tires on it, with about 10k miles on them, and lot's of thread left(over 1/2). We get a lot of rain in the spring, and in the summer as well, and the highways tend to have a small hollow where most of the tires travel and leave an indent ....Needless to say, the first time I was in the rain, and at highway speeds, it started to hydroplane...I had it down to 40 mph, and it was still tricky...BTW, the GY tires were very noisy as well on dry highways.
A few days later, I replaced my almost new OEM tires for a set of Summer high performance Firestone Indy 500's, and never experienced that again, even in heavy rain while on a 3 week road trip. I was travelling 60 mph, while it seemed everyone else was just crawling. Even when the Firestones were down to 3/32" thread, they still were good in the rain.

Now, I always look for tires that have wide middle thread grooves, and wide exit grooves on the sides, just to make sure as much water as possible will be released from under the tires. Needless to say, I'm on my 3rd set of Stones, and over 75K miles and many road trips on the tires...in rain

When my wife bought her Pontiac G6, those OEM tires were also GY, and guess what? With the 17" wide tires on that thing, it would hydroplane like crazy as well...Needless to say, we changed out those tires for all seasons that had wide threads, and no problems since.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

So far I've not seen any hydroplaning with my GY F1's. I am greatly annoyed by the huge amount of road noise though and will replace them with quieter tires when they wear out.

The dealer put new tires on when I got the car 4 or 5k miles ago so I'm disinclined to toss them for new one now. I'm glad for this thread because w/o it, I may have been caught unawares in a rain. At least now I'll be alert to the possibility of hydroplaning.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 10:16 AM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about your car, but I'm glad you're OK. Whenever it rains hard I have to slow down to about 45 MPH or I will start hydroplaning. Ever since they did the grinding on the concrete of the freeways to smooth them out the drainage has been very poor. When I lived a good distance from work I always dreaded driving in the rain in my Corvette due to its tendency to hydroplane at freeway speeds. White knuckle driving for 30 miles is no fun.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't drive often in the rain, but when I do I don't feel like my Vette is subject to hydroplaning any more than my other cars. I have Michelin Pilot SS tires. When I had the Firestone Super Car tires, I didn't have that feeling.

But a really wide tire on a fairly light car makes for a tricky situation ... fewer psi's on the ground.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 12:48 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
When I had the Firestone Super Car tires, I didn't have that feeling.
^^ Of course you meant the GOODYEAR Supercar tires.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Is your Vette a GS Paul ? I was thinking about going run flats because I'm too friggin old to be out there trying to plug a tire. But I don't think the Firestone makes a tire for the GS, or do they, I couldn't find them
NSF
Old 01-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Sorry for your loss, but glad to hear you are ok. I guess I'll be sticking by my policy of not driving my C6 in the rain.

kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Is your Vette a GS Paul ? I was thinking about going run flats because I'm too friggin old to be out there trying to plug a tire. But I don't think the Firestone makes a tire for the GS, or do they, I couldn't find them
NSF
Bobby,

I have a coupe, regular sized tires, so it is much easier finding a tire for it. They are still plenty wide, but not quite as wide as a Z06 or GS tire.
The difference is:
Front Base-9.8" GS-10.9"
Rear-Base- 11.4" GS- 13.2"

.....and because I have a base model, I will only have a limited (1 week) membership to Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I've heard from my friend from South Florida who had the unfortunate opportunity to move to Los Angeles County that when it rains the roads are slippery because they are loaded with oil/debris/all tons of crap because it doesn't rain much and the drainage sucks. South Florida rain driving is different compared to LA rain driving, interesting I thought.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Bobby,

I have a coupe, regular sized tires, so it is much easier finding a tire for it. They are still plenty wide, but not quite as wide as a Z06 or GS tire.
The difference is:
Front Base-9.8" GS-10.9"
Rear-Base- 11.4" GS- 13.2"

.....and because I have a base model, I will only have a limited (1 week) membership to Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill.
I will sponsor you for an "honorary membership", I'm sure the clan will approve Paul
Old 01-11-2016, 03:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

First of all, I'm glad you're ok even if the car took the total "hit" for you to be ok. Second, no matter what you do, thanks for the lesson for/to all of us.

But lastly, I'm a bit uncertain of what you had for tires by your last post where you state "...My tires were fairly new. I would say 80% on the front, 90% on the back. Fronts were only about a year old and rear stock...."

Why am I wondering? Because it seems to mean that the fronts were replaced with non-stock (brand/size?/model) tires while the rears were still the stock brand/size/model. This could mean that, in addition to more power from the add-ons, you also had different tread design, compound, and wear and handling capabilities from one axle to the other. Then you add in the additional weight of a supercharger on the front end which lightens the load on the rear and may have also changed the overall handling characteristics of the car.

If any of this is inaccurate, my apologies. I just don't know how to factor in all the variables above including the wet road puddle, but I am glad with the others that you came out of this ok. In the C7 Z06 (which has a supercharger), I can only imagine how much engineering went into that car to make sure it was able to handle under most conditions.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:50 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

All cars will hydroplane. It's not a Vette only attribute.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
^^ Of course you meant the GOODYEAR Supercar tires.
Ha. Yes, I did. Had just read the post above about his Firestones I guess.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by airmed2
^^ that be true, but the wider the tire, the more susceptible that it will happen. On a wider tire, the gap between threads needs to be wider than most to get rid of water, or it will tend to lift on the cushion of water between the tire and road.
Regardless, care must be taken when the roads are puddling.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kpride
Few days ago a rain puddle in a fwy claimed my beloved vette.

I am grateful actually as I am uninjured, did not hit any other car or anything else. But the guard rail shattered my baby. Front was a toast. Front wheels very badly damaged and twisted.

it was very early in the morning and rain puddle could not be seen. All of sudden the hydroplaning begun and i was going 60 mph. Never thought that the deep puddle could do this to a car going straight in barely 60mph, but it did. I learned how hard it is to regain control of the C6 while in rain. Like I said, lucky to be unharmed.

My bumblebee served me for 3 years. No regrets. BLAST TO DRIVE, like nothing else. It was pretty much the king of the road. Supercharged and headers, 680hp to the crank. I will greatly miss it.

If where you live rains, please be careful and keep enjoying this awesome sports car. Be safe everyone. I am out... At this time there is no desire to get another C6 or another vette, as my priority has shifted from car to what my family wants.

Coming from a BMW forum 3 years ago, let me say this to everyone: Most of people here on CF are good peeps, more mature and more class than BMW forum by FAR. It was an honor to be an owner of this car, this family. I will still give you guys thumps up when you pass!

Much love

Will
I feel ya. Other day driving in the rain I did a little hydroplaning myself. Our problem is the wide tires. They are like water skis. Good to here you made it out ok.
kpride (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM
kpride
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I dont want to over worry you either. It was a unusually deep rain puddle and i think that is the primary reason. My opinion is that if it is raining and you CANNOT SEE the road, dont go over 45mph on fwy, even if they honk at you lol. i was going 60, and that is the difference i believe. If i was going 45, i don't think i would have hydroplaned. so if you slow down you should be ok. I had driven my car in rain before and it was actually ok many, many times... this time the difference was that it was early in the morning and the road was pitch black and I went 60. should have went 40 or so and it would have been fine. So do enjoy your car! just be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Rest in peace my good bumblebee

Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 PM
kpride
Instructor

Originally Posted by kmvp860am
Super glad you're okay (mostly)!

Goodyear runflat tires I presume? I apologize if you posted it earlier and I may have missed it.
actually it was the kumho ecsta series. car was great on dry pavement. i dont think i listed the actual tire brand. thank you!!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:45 PM
kpride
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
First of all, I'm glad you're ok even if the car took the total "hit" for you to be ok. Second, no matter what you do, thanks for the lesson for/to all of us.

But lastly, I'm a bit uncertain of what you had for tires by your last post where you state "...My tires were fairly new. I would say 80% on the front, 90% on the back. Fronts were only about a year old and rear stock...."

Why am I wondering? Because it seems to mean that the fronts were replaced with non-stock (brand/size?/model) tires while the rears were still the stock brand/size/model. This could mean that, in addition to more power from the add-ons, you also had different tread design, compound, and wear and handling capabilities from one axle to the other. Then you add in the additional weight of a supercharger on the front end which lightens the load on the rear and may have also changed the overall handling characteristics of the car.

If any of this is inaccurate, my apologies. I just don't know how to factor in all the variables above including the wet road puddle, but I am glad with the others that you came out of this ok. In the C7 Z06 (which has a supercharger), I can only imagine how much engineering went into that car to make sure it was able to handle under most conditions.
No actually you are right. Very sharp of you lol My tires aren't the top notch stuff.

Yes it is true that my front is replaced with another brand, and i am actually incorrect saying that rear is STOCK, as it should have been said UNCHANGED since I bought it. They are actually kumho ecsta's and those performed well and fairly cheap too. The rear really never wore, because I actually drive pretty gently on my vette. front was already low when I bought it, so i replaced it. hence you get the figures i gave. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 PM
kpride
Instructor

Originally Posted by airmed2
True but vette is FAR MORE SUSCEPTIBLE to it. If it rains pls be careful. I NEVER THOUGHT this would happen, and even on this day i was going only 60 mph (other cars were actually faster than me) so pls be careful, cannot say this enough. Once you start to hydroplane in fwy speed, forget it, you will crash into something.

Quick Reply: Rest in peace my good bumblebee