C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a C6 tom. dealer tells me it is at a Chevy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:01 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by ruff13
I am going to call Chevy and see if I can pry some info. out. I also plan on getting a small warranty just to cover the unknowns. It is an 05 with 29K on the odometer for $23K. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm trying not to let my excitement cloud my good sense.
Thanks for the replies.
Just an FYI regarding the price. $24,400 for a cream puff one owner 06 3LT vert with 53K...three and a half years ago. You might want to shop around or offer something less than 23K.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:09 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I am going to call Chevy and see if I can pry some info. out. I also plan on getting a small warranty just to cover the unknowns. It is an 05 with 29K on the odometer for $23K. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm trying not to let my excitement cloud my good sense.
Thanks for the replies.
Get a GM VIS REPORT from the GM dealer. That will show all the work done from initial sale and throughout the warranty period. The latest work will probably also show up.
The GM service writer can get you a report for free.

If not, PM me and I can give you a contact.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:34 PM
ruff13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
Update:
I reached out to the Chevrolet service department early this morning and spoke with a very helpful young lady. I explained my situation honestly and got her laughing a little bit, then asked her for her help. She called me back on her cell phone and offered assistance. She looked up the history of the vette. All the recalls have been addressed. I asked if she would have the tech. do an entire car inspection for me separate from the first work order, and they both agreed. The tech is going to do the work tomorrow morning for $165. I think I am going to slide the young lady a $100 for all of her very helpful info..
So far all is going well. I told myself that If I started encountering tons of road blocks, I would get a Viper. Yeah I said it...LOL.
Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and help,
Ruff
Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,347 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Update:
I reached out to the Chevrolet service department early this morning and spoke with a very helpful young lady. I explained my situation honestly and got her laughing a little bit, then asked her for her help. She called me back on her cell phone and offered assistance. She looked up the history of the vette. All the recalls have been addressed. I asked if she would have the tech. do an entire car inspection for me separate from the first work order, and they both agreed. The tech is going to do the work tomorrow morning for $165. I think I am going to slide the young lady a $100 for all of her very helpful info..
So far all is going well. I told myself that If I started encountering tons of road blocks, I would get a Viper. Yeah I said it...LOL.
Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and help,
Ruff
Wow, very cool story! The car is meant to be yours...
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

When the C-6 was first on dealer show room floors I stopped by a local dealer and asked a salesman " Do you have any C-6's yet". he looked at me paused for a second and said "That's one of those big 'ol trucks, right!". I just shook my head and left my C-5.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:45 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Please explain the re-flash thing.

@ruff13 Here is the online version of the OM:

http://www.c6registry.com/technical/manuals/2005OM.pdf
Without doing a search of old discussions, believe there was a "fix" developed to address excessive battery problems for the '05 C6 by GM and was put out via a SB vs a recall. I could be totally mistaken as I have trouble remembering what day it is but that's what I recall and was referring to in my post.

Search for Dead Battery Syndrome (DBS) for the history.

Last edited by dpigguy; 01-14-2016 at 07:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ruff13 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM
ruff13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 2005 Convertible with 28K on the odometer. I had the car inspected and the report states that:
1. Harmonic Balancer is starting to separate from rubber liner.
2. Front sway bar retaining plate to be missing on drivers side and loose on passenger side.
Should either of these issues keep me driving the car? When it is time to do the work, should I use better parts than OEM?
Thank you very much,
Ruff
Old 01-17-2016, 04:53 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I bought the 2005 Convertible with 28K on the odometer. I had the car inspected and the report states that:
2. Front sway bar retaining plate to be missing on drivers side and loose on passenger side.
Should either of these issues keep me driving the car? When it is time to do the work, should I use better parts than OEM?
Thank you very much,
Ruff
I don't know if either of those would keep you from driving the car but there are several threads here regarding the harmonic balancer. There is an aftermarket one that most swear by, but I can't remember the brand. Just try a "Harmonic Balancer" search and you should find several threads, and the preferred brand will be in them. There are also some videos that will show you what a bad one looks and sounds like. It's about a $1200 repair because of labor ... have to drop the steering rack as I recall. Thankfully, mine seems to be alright so far.

I think I'd get sway bar retaining plate fixed ... doesn't sound all that expensive.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Replace balancer first!

Thank you very much,
Ruff
you didn't buy the car without them replacing the harmonic balancer did you?use ATI balancer for replacement as new stock balancer may fail next week.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

With replacing the balancer, DO NOT REPLACE IT WITH OEM I did that and the 2nd one went bad also. Spend the money and get a good one. This will cost you with labor almost $1000. Be ready .
Old 01-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I wouldnt drive it with a bad balancer. With my limited knowledge if it gets real bad it could damage the motor then instead of $1k repair you could end up with several thousand dollars of repair. I just had mine done. I did use the dealer and they used oem but I only agreed to that because the dealer guarantees their parts and labor for life The balancer on my 08 lasted for 106k miles

Quick Reply: Buying a C6 tom. dealer tells me it is at a Chevy...