C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a C6 tom. dealer tells me it is at a Chevy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:22 PM
ruff13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update2: Bought the vette. 2 questions...dealer tells me it is at a Chevy...

I bought the 2005 Convertible with 28K on the odometer. I had the car inspected and the report states that:
1. Harmonic Balancer is starting to separate from rubber liner.
2. Front sway bar retaining plate to be missing on drivers side and loose on passenger side.
Should either of these issues keep me driving the car? When it is time to do the work, should I use better parts than OEM?
Thank you very much,
Ruff

I am buying a C6 and the Ford dealer where the car is located tells me that it is down the street at the Chevy dealer having work done because they installed a new battery and messed something up(no specifics given). Does this compute, or should I be wary of this car.
Thank you,
Ruff
Update:
I reached out to the Chevrolet service department early this morning and spoke with a very helpful young lady. I explained my situation honestly and got her laughing a little bit, then asked her for her help. She called me back on her cell phone and offered assistance. She looked up the history of the vette. All the recalls have been addressed. I asked if she would have the tech. do an entire car inspection for me separate from the first work order, and they both agreed. The tech is going to do the work tomorrow morning for $165. I think I am going to slide the young lady a $100 for all of her very helpful info..
So far all is going well. I told myself that If I started encountering tons of road blocks, I would get a Viper. Yeah I said it...LOL.
Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and help,
Ruff

Last edited by ruff13; 01-17-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

It's probably nothing, maybe something simple like the windows need to be indexed after the battery swap. I wouldn't worry about it.

Garry
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (01-14-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
It's probably nothing, maybe something simple like the windows need to be indexed after the battery swap. I wouldn't worry about it.

Garry
and they could have done it themselves by just reading the manual.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I agree with above, "probably" not a big deal BUT I would insist they reveal exactly what the problem was and what was done. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Id wonder down to the Chevt dealer and talk to the tech working on it just to see what is the issue. Would also try to get Ford dealer to add some time to the warranty (if it has one) or give you a limited guarantee that covers the repairs. Jmho
Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 PM
ruff13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
Id wonder down to the Chevt dealer and talk to the tech working on it just to see what is the issue. Would also try to get Ford dealer to add some time to the warranty (if it has one) or give you a limited guarantee that covers the repairs. Jmho
I am going to call Chevy and see if I can pry some info. out. I also plan on getting a small warranty just to cover the unknowns. It is an 05 with 29K on the odometer for $23K. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm trying not to let my excitement cloud my good sense.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ruff13
I am going to call Chevy and see if I can pry some info. out. I also plan on getting a small warranty just to cover the unknowns. It is an 05 with 29K on the odometer for $23K. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm trying not to let my excitement cloud my good sense.
Thanks for the replies.
While you're at it, have the Chevy dealer run a history report on the VIN to see if the car has any outstanding recalls, had the '05 re-flash done for battery drain issue, etc. If it doesn't come with the owner's manual, you can get on several vendor websites - do a search of the forum. The '05 came with a few little quirks you need to know (like parking in reverse if it is a manual, etc).

Enjoy the car and the adventure that comes with it.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Would bother me but what would bother me would be that Ford dealer.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Agreed! Walk over there and find the tech working on the car and find out. Over the phone they may give you a run around.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:36 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd worry more about that 20 year old that's driving it down there and back (the long way I'll bet!!!) Might want to check the back tire for excessive ware.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:39 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ruff13
Thanks for the replies.
If it's a 6 speeder they are probably putting a new battery because they killed the old one by not putting the trans in reverse at shutoff.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Dealer should tell you exactly what is being done to it and why, and in fact they should give you the name of the tech at the Chevy place doing the work, and call them and let them know you will be calling him (the tech), to discuss the work.

If they don't have anything to hide/are stand-up folks, they shouldn't flinch at any of that.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

While you're at it, have the Chevy dealer run a history report on the VIN to see if the car has any outstanding recalls, had the '05 re-flash done for battery drain issue, etc. If it doesn't come with the owner's manual, you can get on several vendor websites - do a search of the forum. The '05 came with a few little quirks you need to know (like parking in reverse if it is a manual, etc).

Enjoy the car and the adventure that comes with it.
Please explain the re-flash thing.

@ruff13 Here is the online version of the OM:

http://www.c6registry.com/technical/manuals/2005OM.pdf
The following users liked this post:
ruff13 (01-15-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 12:13 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

05's use a different group battery (I believe 34) The battery posts are in the opposite location as every other year c6...I'll bet a tech put the wrong posts on and blew the main fuse...most likely no big deal but I'd find out for sure.

Last edited by sevinn; 01-14-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
05's use a different group battery (I believe 34) The battery posts are in the opposite location as every other year c6...I'll bet a tech put the wrong posts on and blew the main fuse...most likely no big deal but I'd find out for sure.
And how would a Ford tech know what location every other year C6 was?
Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by EVRose
And how would a Ford tech know what location every other year C6 was?
I read it wrong and assumed the chevy dealer was doing the work. Still can't imagine what else could have happened after installing a battery.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would you have to ask the Ford Dealer permission to go see the car? Just go there unannounced and ask what they're doing to it. Very simple. You're the one that's going to spend the money...take action!

Chuck M

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C6 tom. dealer tells me it is at a Chevy...

Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Could be nothing more than window indexing. Could be one or more computer's fried. If you don't ask you may never find out. Or maybe you will. That's part of an owl. hoonose.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

While you're at it, have the Chevy dealer run a history report on the VIN to see if the car has any outstanding recalls, had the '05 re-flash done for battery drain issue, etc...
Might've been why they took it to a Chevy store, for something they couldn't do themselves.

OP, ask for a GMVIS from 'the' Chevy dealer as suggested.
You'll see this car's complete maintenance history while under warranty.
G/L
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

I doubt the Chevy dealer will tell you much, other than to refer you back to the Ford dealer. I wouldn't pursue the car until the Ford dealer gets it back. Ask the Ford dealer for a copy of the closed-out work order from the Chevy service department, it is the only definitive record of the customer complaint and the work done. What a tech says or a sales guy says doesn't count for much IMHO. Also get the VIS as others have advised. Trust your gut - could be a good car, could be plagued with electrical gremlins. On a ten year old car there's so much history that you may never know, so whatever you actually can verify becomes valuable info.

Quick Reply: Buying a C6 tom. dealer tells me it is at a Chevy...