C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 refinishing headlights/clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C6 refinishing headlights/clearcoat

My 2009 headlights protective covering has deteriorated. I am trying to figure out if i should replace the lens or refinish?
I wet sanded with 800,1000,1500,3000 grit sandpaper lens are now nice and smooth protective covering now all removed.
I applied 3 light coats of Rustoleum Painters touch 2X ULTRA COVER GLOSS CLEARCOAT WITH UV PROTECTION. LENS ARE STILL HAZED AND SCRATCHES OR CRACKS STILL VISIBLE. SEE ATTACHED PICS.
ARE THESE LENS SALVAGEABLE? I was planning on waiting 2 days per Rustoleum and then buffing with rubbing compound , then polish and finally a paint sealant. WILL LENS CLEAR UP? OR DO I START FROM SCRATCH OR JUST BUY NEW LENS? FORUM HELP NEEDED....
Attached Images   
Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Wow that looks really bad, I think it may be time to replace to be honest.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:01 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I think new lenses are in order. I haven't seen this work yet.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Wow that looks really bad, I think it may be time to replace to be honest.
Thanks for your reply... dealer states they can refinish lenses for $90 with a 2 yr warranty...

Last edited by ULOSECLOWN; 01-18-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:41 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by ULOSECLOWN
Thanks for your reply... dealer states they can refinish lenses for $90 with a 2 yr warranty...

Here's my take for what it's worth. There are a few threads here where the owners did the wet sanding and clear coat. All required a lot of elbow grease. I don't recall any using rattle can clear most used a more expensive clear. I haven't personally heard of any of the results lasting more than a year. You'll have to determine what your time is worth.

AS far as the dealer 1) I think when he physically sees the Corvette he'll back away from the refinish deal. If not I believe you'll be dealing with him a lot during those 2 years. Most lens refinishing deals and kits are meant for acrylic/lexan plastic that are on most cars.

Replacing lens, more money initially but then your done for 5 or so years and you know what the instant results are.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

ummmm , nope those look toast to me.. Call R&L and get your lenses re-done..
Old 01-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Listen to post #5 he knows lenses quite well, probably wind up using his talents sooner of later.
NSF
Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Listen to post #5 he knows lenses quite well, probably wind up using his talents sooner of later.
NSF
RL is the man for lenses
Old 01-18-2016, 10:31 PM
11LS3A6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Not that I am shocked, but how do they get away with advertising whatever that stuff is on TV that they show doing the trick---- or have they been shut down for this very reason?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 11LS3A6
Not that I am shocked, but how do they get away with advertising whatever that stuff is on TV that they show doing the trick---- or have they been shut down for this very reason?
Spray bug repellent on the lenses, and they will be clear for a little while as well.
It's all snake oil for sure.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 AM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Aren't the lens hard to install? I believe I read I would have to bake headlights in an oven??? :crazy :

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Here's my take for what it's worth. There are a few threads here where the owners did the wet sanding and clear coat. All required a lot of elbow grease. I don't recall any using rattle can clear most used a more expensive clear. I haven't personally heard of any of the results lasting more than a year. You'll have to determine what your time is worth.

AS far as the dealer 1) I think when he physically sees the Corvette he'll back away from the refinish deal. If not I believe you'll be dealing with him a lot during those 2 years. Most lens refinishing deals and kits are meant for acrylic/lexan plastic that are on most cars.

Replacing lens, more money initially but then your done for 5 or so years and you know what the instant results are.

Last edited by ULOSECLOWN; 01-19-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2009 headlights protective covering has deteriorated. I am trying to figure out if i should replace the lens or refinish?
I wet sanded with 800,1000,1500,3000 grit sandpaper lens are now nice and smooth protective covering now all removed.
I applied 3 light coats of Rustoleum Painters touch 2X ULTRA COVER GLOSS CLEARCOAT WITH UV PROTECTION. LENS ARE STILL HAZED AND SCRATCHES OR CRACKS STILL VISIBLE. SEE ATTACHED PICS.
ARE THESE LENS SALVAGEABLE? I was planning on waiting 2 days per Rustoleum and then buffing with rubbing compound , then polish and finally a paint sealant. WILL LENS CLEAR UP? OR DO I START FROM SCRATCH OR JUST BUY NEW LENS? FORUM HELP NEEDED....
After the sanding step which in my limited experience should be fine finishing at 3k, you need to buff the out w/ compound just like paint-M105/205; etc. did you buff? if not here is most of your problem. Even the Meg. Plastic-X at auto stores works well.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 AM
lynnt
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the headlight kit from Sylvania and use their UV block clear coat that comes with the kit it should clear up the haze Then spray the Rustoleum clear coat

Last edited by lynnt; 01-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Thanks for the info. Aren't the lens hard to install? I believe I read I would have to bake headlights in an oven??? :crazy :
Either liv2tour (Paul) or RL Sebring will answer in depth, its not so easy
NSF
Old 01-19-2016, 11:33 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Either luv2tour (Paul) or RL Sebring will answer in depth, its not so easy
NSF
When you buy your lenses from Robert (RLSebring), he will send you the detailed instructions on how to do it.
I'm pretty much game for any project, so for me I dug right in with Robert's help.
Just need a regular oven, a pair of gloves and a few basic tools and a bit of patience.
I found the hardest part was removing the headlights from the fenders.
Removing the lens and installing the new was a fairly easy process.
It sounds daunting, but really not.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To C6 refinishing headlights/clearcoat

Quick Reply: C6 refinishing headlights/clearcoat