C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas state inspection help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:25 AM
WildcatWarrior
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas state inspection help

Just bought a modded C6. Worried about it passing state inspection. Live in Dallas area. Where's the best place to get inspected? Need "a guy" that's willing to work with me. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

My C6 is modded cam,headers and tune. I go to Western Auto and pass with no problem.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:40 AM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Might want to ask on the southwest forum.
The following users liked this post:
WildcatWarrior (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

What kind of mods do you have? What problems do you anticipate? I'm supercharged and just go to a regular inspection All Tune and Lube in Burleson with no problems.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:23 PM
WildcatWarrior
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
My C6 is modded cam,headers and tune. I go to Western Auto and pass with no problem.
Thanks for the info. Concerned about emissions. No CEL but cats been deleted and no mufflers. Horn doesn't work but that's an easy fix. Really need a "guy" in the area that will work with me in these areas.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:25 PM
WildcatWarrior
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Whoop
What kind of mods do you have? What problems do you anticipate? I'm supercharged and just go to a regular inspection All Tune and Lube in Burleson with no problems.
No cats or mufflers. No CEL but if they look under the car they'll see. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:40 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by WildcatWarrior
No cats or mufflers. No CEL but if they look under the car they'll see. Thanks for the post.
They don't do visual inspections anymore. Just hook up to OBDII and look for codes. Visual on lights and wipers.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:18 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
They don't do visual inspections anymore. Just hook up to OBDII and look for codes. Visual on lights and wipers.
This ^^^^^^. To the OP, may want to have auto store check for codes first to ensure "clean" then go get your inspection. If CEL comes on when you turn key on, you'll know you only need to be worried about stored codes. If light doesn't come on with key, may be disconnected or burned out and you could have active codes.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine has passed Inspection the last 2 years in Houston, last month was the latest.
Car has cam, headers with high flow cats, etc. The tune is what matters so that the OBDII shows systems are ready.
One tech told me he thought my car needed a tune up, "big cam idle", I just laughed to myself.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Hum! Down here they don't plug into the OBD.They just check lights,brakes and tires.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 01-24-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: change
Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Many shops don't even bother with the visual inspection, but the place I normally use has a "drive on" inspection bay. It's too steep to get my Vette on, so they have to hook it up outside the garage and can't get under it to do a visual inspection. Wouldn't matter for me at the moment as I still have physical cats (although there's nothing in them ). As long as it passes OBDII, you'll pass.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:41 PM
scnhra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are in Dallas or thew surrounding Counties it will get OBDII checked. Just make sure you do not have codes and all sensors are reading ready. If you have a good tune this is already the case and you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Hum! Down here they don't plug into the OBD.They just check lights,brakes and tires.
You have cleaner air than we do. Thanks Dallas.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

You have cleaner air than we do. Thanks Dallas.
Not really! We have a lot of oil and gas refineries and chemical plants running 24/7.I've heard that we might go to the emission test next year. If that happens then 50% of the cars would not pass.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Just got mine inspected a couple of weeks ago. Guy had to drive it to the back of the building to check the brakes (this is a new thing). Horn, lights, signals and done. Less than 5 minutes. $7.50 and a piece of paper to take to the tag office.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:17 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by scnhra
If you are in Dallas or thew surrounding Counties it will get OBDII checked. Just make sure you do not have codes and all sensors are reading ready. If you have a good tune this is already the case and you have nothing to worry about.

You will have no issues with the cat delete and big cam. you might have issues with an inoperable horn, but that is something you need to take care of anyway.

I have had several cars (none currently) with no cats, but with the proper tune and they passed OBD-II tests with no problems ever.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:55 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Had my car inspected two weeks ago in Arlington. They drove it around the parking lot. Checked brakes, tire wear and lights. Inspected under the hood and plugged into the OBD II port while it was running for codes. There are things you can do like adding some extra gas line antifreeze (methanol) or commercial grade thinners (one gallon) to your fuel tank and running your car long enough to make sure your cats are hot (40 minutes). Thinners will clean out your cats also. A lot of inspection stations have been closed and fined lately for letting cars sneak by. The smog police send random cars to the inspection stations that they know will fail, then bust them. A tuner shop like Dallas Performance or others in this area may be able to help also.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas state inspection help

Old 03-07-2016, 05:18 PM
WildcatWarrior
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Took it in for inspection and my fears were realized. Failed twice, for same 4 readiness codes. Car is from Corpus Christi where inspection criteria is less restrictive than Dallas. Need a guy in Dallas are that can "help". Tuner from Corpus said it's got a Speed Density tune and need a leinient inspector to "help" me get it to pass. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2016, 10:13 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Took it in for inspection and my fears were realized. Failed twice, for same 4 readiness codes. Car is from Corpus Christi where inspection criteria is less restrictive than Dallas. Need a guy in Dallas are that can "help". Tuner from Corpus said it's got a Speed Density tune and need a leinient inspector to "help" me get it to pass. Any ideas?
The OBD-II test is run thru the state's computer network in Austin. There is nothing the inspector tech can do for you is the bad news. The car is connected to the state's computer and telling all.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Best suggestion I can give is find a tuner in the Dallas or Houston area that can resolve the readiness codes your car has. It might involve buying a new "tune" but at least it would be from a shop familiar with EPA Non-attainment regions and OBD-II testing. good luck and keep us informed please.
WildcatWarrior (03-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Texas state inspection help