C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ctek Battery Tender question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ctek Battery Tender question

So car is stored for my cold Canadian winter. I have a Ctek 3300 battery charger / tender. Went out and got the cigarette lighter adaptor, as seemed the best way to go. Was surprised my car even had a cigarette lighter but it does. What I didn't do is check to see if the cigarette lighter actually worked. Plugged in my Ctek....and lighter adaptor and not showing anything on the battery status. Tried switching car to accessory mode and pushed in the lighter to see if works and not doing anything.

Am I missing something? Does car need to be running for lighter to work? Or it's just not hooked up but for some reason actually has the lighter....which makes no sense. And wasted money on the stupid adaptor for Ctek.

Guess I'll be pulling out the battery and doing the old fashioned way.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:10 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Mine works with the engine off through the cigarette lighter.

Are you sure the wall plug where you have the Ctek plugged in works? The ones in the garage are almost certainly ground fault ... perhaps it needs resetting? Have you checked to see if the cigarette lighter works (using the lighter)?

You can also try the lighter plug that's inside your console. I used the one in the ash tray though.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

After doing what Rocket did above (ck the lighter socket--also, sometimes you may need a new fuse, or fuse could be loose), you should know there are at least two, maybe three different Ctek 3300s.

If you're on a wall outlet that is "switched" by a light switch, every time you turn it off, it turns off the unit. And the unit has to be re-started. That means, pressing the big round button on the left twice to get the bulb lit under the car icon. Read the manual to see the differences betw. icons for your car battery.

When you disconnect the Ctek from the lighter, if you actually unplug the unit so it doesn't stay "hot," or turn off the wall light switch, you'll have to go thru the above again.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:51 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Thanks guys. The wall outlet is live....something else plugged into it. When I plug in the Ctek....I get the power on it...can press the mode button to be under the car icon. But when plugged into lighter socket with adaptor....it's not showing anything under the battery sections....like half full, full, etc.

Thinking must not be power to the lighter socket. Might have to look at fuses, etc. But it's cold as **** in my garage and didn't want to deal with doing an investigation. lol.

Worst case...pull battery.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:33 AM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry you're having problems. My CTEK works perfectly connected to the cig lighter/12V socket under the armrest of my '09 coupe.

Last edited by BobBass; 12-14-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

I would try plugging in a phone charger or something into the cig lighter and see if that works.

It could still be a defective ctek charger (If you have never used it before with clamps/rings) or even the new lighter adapter could have a bad wire/connection in it.

Mine works fine in the lighter socket on the dash.

Last edited by Grimlock13; 12-14-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:08 AM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Charger works fine...used it last winter. Maybe I'll try socket in console...didn't notice there was one in there.

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
I would try plugging in a phone charger or something into the cig lighter and see if that works.

It could still be a defective ctek charger (If you have never used it before with clamps/rings) or even the new lighter adapter could have a bad wire/connection in it.

Mine works fine in the lighter socket on the dash.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 AM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Update. Plugged into lighter socket in my center console and charging fine. Guess the one in the ashtray isn't hooked up or fuse perhaps.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:25 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Speedthrill
Update. Plugged into lighter socket in my center console and charging fine. Guess the one in the ashtray isn't hooked up or fuse perhaps.
Not 100% sure, but I thought the two of them are on the same fuse.

The center console could have been removed at one point and the problem is at the connector to that "lighter" plug.

At least you got it to work for now
The following users liked this post:
rdj (02-04-2019)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:29 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Sounds like a blown fuse. The CIGAR lighter (not cigarette ) has a separate fuse from the Aux power socket. Both are 20A and located in the fuse panel at the passenger's feet. You're looking for the one labeled LTR.
The following users liked this post:
jimmie jam (12-16-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Scooterzee
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen... Don't you all drive your vett or are they just garage jewellery on battery tenders? The worst thing you can do to a vehicle is let it sit for extended periods of time.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:27 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterzee
Ladies and gentlemen... Don't you all drive your vett or are they just garage jewellery on battery tenders? The worst thing you can do to a vehicle is let it sit for extended periods of time.
Driving the Vette???....now that's just crazy talk....
Old 12-14-2016, 01:30 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Canadian winters are too cold to drive much of anything. One of my winter trips to Calgary was at -40. That was when I learned -40, C or F, are equal.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Scooterzee
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can imagine. That's why I live in Texas. Been to Calgary in July and was cool then.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:24 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Speedthrill
Thanks guys. The wall outlet is live....something else plugged into it. When I plug in the Ctek....I get the power on it...can press the mode button to be under the car icon. But when plugged into lighter socket with adaptor....it's not showing anything under the battery sections....like half full, full, etc.

Thinking must not be power to the lighter socket. Might have to look at fuses, etc. But it's cold as **** in my garage and didn't want to deal with doing an investigation. lol.

Worst case...pull battery.
Hook it right up to the battery like I did. I just plug it in when I need to by opening the hood, it's that simple.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:46 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I always use the accessory plug in the console.

Sounds like someone disconnected the cigarette lighter when they took the console cover off (easy to forget to plug the connector back in) or you have blown fuse.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:58 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Drive? OMG! OMG! No way! I push mine around in the driveway on moving dollies, but only if the weather is nice and the UV index isn't too high.

Get notified of new replies

To Ctek Battery Tender question

Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Never drive mine in rain or snow, don't have to.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:37 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

It's 16* right now and snowing. Whiteout conditions.

I couldn't pull the vette out of my garage right now.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:02 AM
KCSODogboy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course I have driven mine, my wife wouldn't let me hire a hauler to get it home!

Quick Reply: Ctek Battery Tender question