C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spot Mirror ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 PM
Hey Joe
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thehaggis
I've used this method for years and have yet to pull over on anyone, since I changed them. It's all about handing off from mirror to mirror. If you can see your car in your side mirror you have a blind spot. It will take some time to get used to it, but the trust you gain is well worth it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

Haggis, this is awesome. I've been driving like this for 40 years.
I usually can never see the side of my car through either side view mirror. Well explained!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 PM
bluedogok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some motorcycle shops carry a 1 1/4" diameter spot mirror which eats up less of the main mirror.

Bike Master - Eyeball Mirror
Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
If all mirrors are adjusted properly there should be no blind spot. IMO.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Mine are properly adjusted, and I use small convex mirrors. From the driver's seat, you can not see my own car.

These pics are taken from the passenger seat, but again, It's adjusted so that from the driver's seat you can not see the car.

You got it right so you shouldn't need the little round ones.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

You got it right so you shouldn't need the little round ones.
Don't need them, but they are one little extra measure of visibility.

I don't know why people are so against these as an added extra level of visibility?

Last edited by owc6; 02-01-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

He's absolutely right!
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (01-31-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:21 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Get the small stick on one's at Wallyworld or most any auto store.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropicana
I read that the right way to do it is to adjust your mirrors so that you cannot see the sides of your car but personally, I need to see my sides as a frame of reference. Add to that my sunglasses legs, which I always choose thin and I am particularly careful.
If I can't see the edge of my car as an 'anchor', I can't be confident of where the traffic is.

$1.98 for a little round convex mirror stuck in the inner corner of my driver's side OSRV helps immensely by providing a wide view. I prefer the ones that are not only convex, but have a bit of a wedge base to point them outward -- I don't need a wide view of my interior taking up half the view! LOL

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-01-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I remember my 370Z had terrible blind spots but I got some terrific Zoom Engineering mirrors which solved the problem. http://www.kamispeed.com/ZOOM-Engine...p/zme.z130.htm

I only wish they made them for American cars.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 PM
danl23188
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 56 Posts

It's the first thing they teach you at the BMW car control course. It should be the first thing for any driver course
Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

I wouldn't take the "adjust the mrrors and you're good to go" stuff. I drive work vans, my Sierra Denali HD my wife's Yukon Denali XL with the blind spot mirror indicators but they still all have the blind spot mirrors, my Vette included. Why take the chance.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:10 AM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I wouldn't take the "adjust the mrrors and you're good to go" stuff. I drive work vans, my Sierra Denali HD my wife's Yukon Denali XL with the blind spot mirror indicators but they still all have the blind spot mirrors, my Vette included. Why take the chance.
This is an issue only because the majority of people adjust their mirrors so they can see the edge of their car. Which is useful for backing up, but leaves a blindspot when driving forward and then requires you to take your eyes off the road in front of you to look over your shoulder OR get an additional mirror to compensate for the incorrectly aligned mirrors.. /shrugs this horse is dead I think. 😀
Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Kent1999
If I can't see the edge of my car as an 'anchor', I can't be confident of where the traffic is.

$1.98 for a little round convex mirror stuck in the inner corner of my driver's side OSRV helps immensely by providing a wide view. I prefer the ones that are not only convex, but have a bit of a wedge base to point them outward -- I don't need a wide view of my interior taking up half the view! LOL
Yeah, I agree ... I like the confidence.

I put mine on the outer edge ... seems to work better that way (for me at least).

I have them on both my cars, but my wife doesn't want them on hers. Admittedly, they do take a little getting use to.

Wish they made them in a Medium size though ... the small is too small to be all that effective, and the next size up is way too big to fit most mirrors unless you have a truck.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:24 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Seems to be a lot of talk about not taking ones eyes off the road. In reality, and honestly, will every one that never takes their eyes off the road if even for just a milla second please raise their hand. Just as I thought....I don't see any hands.....
Old 02-02-2016, 10:42 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 831 Posts

Agree 100% stock mirrors should be positioned properly and that is 99% of most people's problems.

I have the little convex mirrors on all the vehicles, for several reasons:

1) Convex mirror gives a wider view. i.e. when merging I can see 1.5-2 lanes width, opposed to 1/2 lane width on the stockers
2) Passenger side on most of my vehicles can't be adjusted out far enough.
3) there is still a 'blind spot' at the rear wheel area; i.e. a biker could be there and be invisible in the stock mirrors.

I adjust mirrors so I seldom or never have to turn my head. Head-turning takes your eyes off the road for about 2sec; that's 176ft at 60mph!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Seems to be a lot of talk about not taking ones eyes off the road. In reality, and honestly, will every one that never takes their eyes off the road if even for just a milla second please raise their hand. Just as I thought....I don't see any hands.....
As you say, no one can drive w/o taking their eyes off the road. It's about doing what you can to minimize the time. Their are many tools which help; HUD, steering wheel controls for radio, voice commands for nav, etc…

Spot mirrors are just one more tool to help keep your eyes on the road around you.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:10 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've used this method for years and have yet to pull over on anyone, since I changed them. It's all about handing off from mirror to mirror. If you can see your car in your side mirror you have a blind spot. It will take some time to get used to it, but the trust you gain is well worth it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

This

Not to mention those little stick on mirrors look like crap.

Get notified of new replies

To Blind Spot Mirror ???

Old 02-02-2016, 01:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This is an issue only because the majority of people adjust their mirrors so they can see the edge of their car. Which is useful for backing up, but leaves a blindspot when driving forward and then requires you to take your eyes off the road in front of you to look over your shoulder OR get an additional mirror to compensate for the incorrectly aligned mirrors.. /shrugs this horse is dead I think. ��
This isn't rocket science. If everyone's mind worked the same and everyone liked the same things we would live a very simplistic life. Fortunately we're all different and do what we feel comfortable doing. Some vehicles come from the factory with concave/blindspot mirrors so there obviously is a legitimate reason for that.

Last edited by saplumr; 02-02-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:13 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
This isn't rocket science. If everyone's mind worked the same and everyone liked the same things we would live a very simplistic life. Fortunately we're all different and do what we feel comfortable doing. Some vehicles come from the factory with concave/blindspot mirrors so there obviously is a legitimate reason for that.
Don't think this is about life science. Of course we are all different and do what we feel comfortable doing...but in this case its more about driving safely so we don't risk not just or own lives, but someone else's also, regardless whether its comfortable or not.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:00 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by windyC6
Don't think this is about life science. Of course we are all different and do what we feel comfortable doing...but in this case its more about driving safely so we don't risk not just or own lives, but someone else's also, regardless whether its comfortable or not.
You may have missed it but that was my point. When you adjust your mirrors there more than likely will always be some blind spot so make life easy....use blind spot mirrors. Our vehicles have blind spot indicators in the mirrors but don't trust them nearly as much as blind spot mirrors. Driving full size vans my entire adult life and towing a large enclosed trailer may have something to do with it but I like all the mirrors I can have to see what's around.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Mirror ???