C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spot Mirror ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:21 PM
george511
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind Spot Mirror ???

I have an 05 coupe and have seen the little convex mirrors
on other cars.
these folks around here love to drive in my blind spot
can anyone recommend anything to help with this
thanks
Old 01-31-2016, 12:27 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

If all mirrors are adjusted properly there should be no blind spot. IMO.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Adjust your mirrors so that you can barely see the edge of your car and your blind spot will go away.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Cruiser1964
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Adjust your mirrors so that you can barely see the edge of your car and your blind spot will go away.
This is where I have mine and it works great.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:22 PM
NMJoe
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

My father taught me how to properly use my side mirrors when I was learning to drive. I've since tried to convince my wife of this "technique" but she insists on seeing the car behind her in all three mirrors.

Oh well, no big deal. One reason I could see adding a convex mirror is to see the car two lanes over in the blind spot.

Locally, I can only seem to find the super cheap, plastic version that you can't really see anything when using it.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Flame suit on...
We have them on all 5 of our cars. Just used to having them and setting the mirrors "incorrectly" I suppose.

My old Datsun 240Z has no passenger side mirror so I have an oversized convex mirror inside.

Last edited by NashvilleGrandSport; 01-31-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have one on each outside mirror. I find them indispensable (can't seem to get the mirror adjustment where there is no blind spot). You have to get the smaller ones and they're not great at nighttime. I got mine at Walmart and they just stick on.

Last edited by RocketDawg; 01-31-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:54 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

A friend of mine taught me this years ago. BTW, does anyone else find the stupid right side mirror with the warning that "objects may be closer than they appear" relatively useless? I know that the reason is that the mirror is a wide angle fish eye lens, but I would rather get a true image of a car on my right. I'm guessing DOT requires this. My pre-nanny state '69 Mustang has the dual racing mirrors on it and the right side mirror has no gymicks. Just a plain old mirror and it works great. You can actually judge when it's clear to change lanes.

Last edited by RagTop69; 01-31-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Have them on both sides of all of my cars, they have saved me many times, they are especially helpful on wide highways with three plus lanes.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I also agree... have used this methods for years, no blind spots.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

Have them on one of our other cars, but not the Vette, at least not yet. Most of the time my top is down, so there are no blind spots. :-) But I do find them useful.

We have a 2014 Impala with the blind spot detectors that flash a yellow symbol in the outside mirrors if a vehicle is there on either side. Love that feature! Wish it was available on the Vette. Don't know if it's been added to the C7 or not. But would be a must have option if I were ordering new.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:13 PM
c5firstimer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Made my own

I've have blind spot mirrors on my every day driver, Ford Taurus X. I purchased them at Pep Boys. Small rectangular black plastic stick on is what I use. I found the rectangular better than the round ones.

I found these to be most useful in all driving situations, especially nice with sudden need to change lanes. But helps as well backing up parking between the lines in parking lots, parking against the curb and actually seeing the space between the tire and curb stone.

I got so used to them that I wanted to put them on my 08 Vette. Nothing out there looked right so I bought another one of the type I had my Ford.

I removed the mirror from the black plastic casing, basically cut it apart, then double sided the mirror in place on my drivers side mirror, been there for 2 years now. I find it most convenient. The passenger side without it I think is adequate in my corvette driving situations if adjusted right.

I am one for mostly turning my head to look left and right but that quick glance in that blind spot mirror adds a little extra to my driving decisions especially when quick decisions need to be made.

Wanted to add regarding comment at night, blind spot mirror is not that great but obviously doesn't have the night time dimming like our standard equipment outside mirrors.

C5firstimer now C6

Last edited by c5firstimer; 01-31-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added information
Old 01-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

When I first bought my C6 I couldn't see very well on the left side when checking my blind spot. I almost hit cars in my blind spot a couple of times. Part of the problem is the 3M tint on the rear window, it's pretty dark.
I put a small convex mirror on the drivers mirror and I haven't had an issue since.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vette_dd
adjust your mirrors so that you can barely see the edge of your car and your blind spot will go away.
this ^^^^
Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by c5firstimer
I've have blind spot mirrors on my every day driver, Ford Taurus X. I purchased them at Pep Boys. Small rectangular black plastic stick on is what I use. I found the rectangular better than the round ones.

I found these to be most useful in all driving situations, especially nice with sudden need to change lanes. But helps as well backing up parking between the lines in parking lots, parking against the curb and actually seeing the space between the tire and curb stone.

I got so used to them that I wanted to put them on my 08 Vette. Nothing out there looked right so I bought another one of the type I had my Ford.

I removed the mirror from the black plastic casing, basically cut it apart, then double sided the mirror in place on my drivers side mirror, been there for 2 years now. I find it most convenient. The passenger side without it I think is adequate in my corvette driving situations if adjusted right.

I am one for mostly turning my head to look left and right but that quick glance in that blind spot mirror adds a little extra to my driving decisions especially when quick decisions need to be made.

Wanted to add regarding comment at night, blind spot mirror is not that great but obviously doesn't have the night time dimming like our standard equipment outside mirrors.

C5firstimer now C6
We need a picture of this Mod!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Not saying that I don't trust my mirrors, but I always make a quick 1/100 second turn and look before making any moves. Been doing this for years and have never had a crunch yet....knock on wood. Even if I added a little mirror to the org mirror I would still turn and look although I must admit that at my age that 1/100 of a second is getting a tiny bit slower...LOL.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
If all mirrors are adjusted properly there should be no blind spot. IMO.
Mine are properly adjusted, and I use small convex mirrors. From the driver's seat, you can not see my own car.

These pics are taken from the passenger seat, but again, It's adjusted so that from the driver's seat you can not see the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Blind Spot Mirror ???

Old 01-31-2016, 06:58 PM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've used this method for years and have yet to pull over on anyone, since I changed them. It's all about handing off from mirror to mirror. If you can see your car in your side mirror you have a blind spot. It will take some time to get used to it, but the trust you gain is well worth it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

Last edited by thehaggis; 01-31-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: original link to article
The following users liked this post:
Huskerman (02-02-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I read that the right way to do it is to adjust your mirrors so that you cannot see the sides of your car but personally, I need to see my sides as a frame of reference. Add to that my sunglasses legs, which I always choose thin and I am particularly careful.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 PM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropicana
I read that the right way to do it is to adjust your mirrors so that you cannot see the sides of your car but personally, I need to see my sides as a frame of reference. Add to that my sunglasses legs, which I always choose thin and I am particularly careful.
It is a tough habit to break but it really pays off. Being able to completely trust your mirrors is quite liberating AND keeps your head pointed where it should be, forwards.
The following 2 users liked this post by thehaggis:
owc6 (01-31-2016), Walt White Coupe (01-31-2016)

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Mirror ???