C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights crazed already...thinking of tinting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Mikiez06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlights crazed already...thinking of tinting.

Hey everyone,
I just bought my 2007 with the headlights crazed and cloudy inside already. My question is do you think I could make it look better with tint like headlight armor or have a shop spray tint them?
They look terrible and I want to try to improve the look without breaking the bank buying new units.
Before some of you reply that tint crazes the lights, remember mine are already fugged so Im not worried about it.
I dont want a dark tint, maybe just 50% or so,
has anyone out there done this and do you guys think a light tint will look good with a black car ?
I saw pics of completely blacked out lights on a black car and do not like it at all.
Opinions, advice welcomed.
Thanks
Old 02-01-2016, 05:49 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

IMO, it's best just to buy new lenses for it and get it over with. Save your pennies until you get new ones.
Tinting will not mask the crazing, and likely will not look any better with the tint on them. I know in some jurisdiction, it's illegal to tint headlights.

You can get new lenses for $400.00 a pair or less. It is easy to remove the old ones and install new lenses. Lot's of help, PDF's, video's etc are available from numerous C6 forum members if you go that route.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-01-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Check your local laws first. Around here you can't get a state inspection with any kind of tint on them. My 07 lenses were o.k. when I bought the car so i just put a clear bra over the lenses to protect them. I may paint the inside from silver to black later. I believe you can just replace the lens and not the whole assembly for about $200.00.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Husker C6
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

A guy I work with had his lights on his truck tinted. While they look nice during the day he hates them at night. Really affected light output.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

I had the same problem. In fact, whatever the prior owner tried made them horrible!

I did not want to spend >$400 PLUS doing the oven/r&r routine for a car in great shape that will never be a show car. But, if need be, I'm ready to go there.

Anyway, Lamin-x "tint" is said to let 85% of the light through, and the fitted film cost only $59, so I felt it worth a shot. Turns out, the install was very tough so I had a pro do it for $75.

I am very happy with the result. It does NOT eliminate the problems. It greatly mitigates them however. Kinda a 5-footer at this point instead of a 20-footer. The lighting at night is now "C5" quality instead of "C6" quality, which is fine for my purposes. It passed recent inspection. For now, I'm not even remotely considering replacing the lenses...

This picture shows the "after." Too bad I do not have a "before," but the improvement is significant IMO...
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Mikiez06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, alot of great points and info to consider.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
I had the same problem. In fact, whatever the prior owner tried made them horrible!

I did not want to spend >$400 PLUS doing the oven/r&r routine for a car in great shape that will never be a show car. But, if need be, I'm ready to go there.

Anyway, Lamin-x "tint" is said to let 85% of the light through, and the fitted film cost only $59, so I felt it worth a shot. Turns out, the install was very tough so I had a pro do it for $75.

I am very happy with the result. It does NOT eliminate the problems. It greatly mitigates them however. Kinda a 5-footer at this point instead of a 20-footer. The lighting at night is now "C5" quality instead of "C6" quality, which is fine for my purposes. It passed recent inspection. For now, I'm not even remotely considering replacing the lenses...

This picture shows the "after." Too bad I do not have a "before," but the improvement is significant IMO...
What tint is that from Lamin-X ? I have had them sittin in my garage now for 5-6 weeks, I bought the gun smoke but having second thoughts about installing them
NSF
Old 02-02-2016, 02:59 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

don't know why you would try and hide the problem instead of just getting them fixed..
Old 02-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
What tint is that from Lamin-X ? I have had them sittin in my garage now for 5-6 weeks, I bought the gun smoke but having second thoughts about installing them
NSF
It's called "tint" which is their lightest tint. So, you can see the crazing and such when you examine closely, but for me it was an excellent compromise.

"Gunsmoke" is one shade darker. I think it lets a bit less than 80% of th light through. I used it on my taillights -- where seeing them, and especially the brake lights, is more important than what I can see in front of me. I've had people follow me day and night and they're OK with them...
Old 02-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joec
don't know why you would try and hide the problem instead of just getting them fixed..
Try this: minimum $300 savings AND a bunch of labor that, knowing me, would be far from 100% likely to be lsuccessful...

I read the detailed instructions and would have tried the "correct" procedure had the result been terrible.

Not perfect, but good enough for my purposes...
Old 02-02-2016, 06:39 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 218 Posts

I actually had my headlights restored at Sam's Club for $25 2 years ago. They bake on a new UV coating and warranty for 5 years. You can still see crazing when the lights are on, but they look fine in daylight. Well worth $25.

Last edited by sjw91; 02-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Try this: minimum $300 savings AND a bunch of labor that, knowing me, would be far from 100% likely to be lsuccessful...

I read the detailed instructions and would have tried the "correct" procedure had the result been terrible.

Not perfect, but good enough for my purposes...
Uh, $300 savings ??? Me thinks you are under estimating the cost of new lenses, by quite a lot
I probably wont install mine because I had second thoughts, another poor buying decision before I thought it thru I also got the fog light film but had them in yellow already
NSF
Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you decide to get new lenses, Rlsebring is the man on the forum to get them from. I just ordered another set from him recently and he is running out as his source is no longer going to supply the oem lenses, so get them soon. It's much cheaper than buying the whole assemblies and most of the lenses you see for sale are not oem. Just a little fyi. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:18 PM
voodoochikin04
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine have been tinted for almost 2years... Look great still and I have no issues with being able to see at night.

Un-edited

And they lok even better in edited photos..
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 PM
j colon
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I was thinking of doing this but heard that the tint makes the bulbs hotter than they already are and causes them to burn out or damage the lenses. Im not saying this will happen. Just something I read a while ago.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM
voodoochikin04
Instructor

Unless someone has IR temp readings and proof showing that true.. It sounds ridiculous.. I don't see the tint being able to block any long wave radiation from the bulbs or enough tht it would affect cooling... Maybe if you tinted the headlights with one of those reflective space blankets... Lol...
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
Unless someone has IR temp readings and proof showing that true.. It sounds ridiculous.. I don't see the tint being able to block any long wave radiation from the bulbs or enough tht it would affect cooling... Maybe if you tinted the headlights with one of those reflective space blankets... Lol...
Is your tint from Lamin-X ?
Looks cool
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights crazed already...thinking of tinting.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 PM
voodoochikin04
Instructor

Previous owner said 3m headlight tint.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Uh, $300 savings ??? Me thinks you are under estimating the cost of new lenses, by quite a lot
NSF
That's the delta. Lenses only (not the whole fixture) run about $450 delivered on EBay...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 02-03-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

So you want to tint your headlights 50%? So driving at night you have 50% less light to see where you are going. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply: Headlights crazed already...thinking of tinting.