C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oregon front plate ?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oregon front plate ?

Does the plate have to be centered? Should I go cheap--$39 or $190 +/-?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a buddy that never runs a plate on his hot rods...EVER! I bought a sto n sho bracket so I can take it off in a second or two because my buddy and I could be sitting side by side with our corvettes and The cop would tell him "nice car!" while writing my ticket.. Just the way it goes for me.
http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...ort-SNS28a.htm
Mark
Old 02-18-2016, 12:08 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 907 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

No, there is no requirement that the plate be centered. I think it looks better if it is...........
That said, I bought the Top Flight removable bracket for those times I don't feel like taking a chance. And for those times that I do assume the risk, I can remove the plate in 10 seconds and store it in the back.

The following users liked this post:
Jayhawk62 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:27 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Don't drill holes in your bumper.
I live in California and we have a front plate requirement but it is rarely enforced. Never had a problem without one. When I get caught, I will buy a Top Flight bracket. Looks like the best option to me.
Jayhawk62 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 449 Likes on 274 Posts

In Missouri the local PD are sticklers for the front plate so I bought the removable bracket for the GS and Z06. It mounts off center.
Attached Images  
Jayhawk62 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 03:04 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Nope

Originally Posted by Jayhawk62
Does the plate have to be centered? Should I go cheap--$39 or $190 +/-?
sad tale; used to live in Oregon, now WA State. Had one of those motorized hiding front plates installed, very cool for two weeks until it got ripped right off due to something in the road, have gone w/o front plate now for about four months (have plate inside the car), not been stopped once (though now that I've mentioned it I probably will be stopped tomorrow).

Last edited by dbirdhouse1; 02-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Laid Back11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently install widebody conversion with new front bumper on my 2008 and refuse to drill holes in the bumper for a tag bracket. Here in Maryland were I live it is required to display front tag. Top Flight removable bracket is the way the go

Last edited by Laid Back11; 02-20-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Jayhawk62 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:05 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
No, there is no requirement that the plate be centered. I think it looks better if it is...........
That said, I bought the Top Flight removable bracket for those times I don't feel like taking a chance. And for those times that I do assume the risk, I can remove the plate in 10 seconds and store it in the back.

Jayhawk62 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Front plate? In your trunk like mine. CA has the same law. No worries unless I park on a public street which I almost never do. I can place it in my front window but the law sz it has to be permanently affixed. So...I'm a traffic scofflaw. It's only an fraction and in almost four years I've had no problems. Looks much better w/o it anyway...
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2016, 07:07 PM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Laid Back11
I recently install widebody conversion with new front bumper on my 2008 and refuse to drill holes in the bumper for a tag bracket. Here in Maryland were I live it is required to display front tag. Top Flight removable bracket is the way the go
I bought two different types of front mounts. One is the drill kind which is a last resort and the other is a suction cup type. The place I bought that one from says it's good up to 200 mph. When the car comes out of the barn I will try the suction style first.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:36 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 907 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

OK, I'm just going to say this.......

If anyone insists on using that god-awful, hideously ugly piece of cheap crap that came from GM, you don't HAVE TO drill holes!!
You can mount it with double sided tape.

SO WHY THE HELL DO SO MANY DEALERSHIPS DRILL HOLES IN THE FRONT OF OUR BEAUTIFUL CORVETTES??????????

You may be able to tell that this bothers me. Just a little.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 PM
sonic1519
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's the law in Texas. So i'm walking on the wild side. Running without one. Been pulled over once by the Highway Patrol got lucky and only got a warning. How many vette owners go without one? i'll say 60%.....
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by duckvett
OK, I'm just going to say this.......

If anyone insists on using that god-awful, hideously ugly piece of cheap crap that came from GM, you don't HAVE TO drill holes!!
You can mount it with double sided tape.

SO WHY THE HELL DO SO MANY DEALERSHIPS DRILL HOLES IN THE FRONT OF OUR BEAUTIFUL CORVETTES??????????

You may be able to tell that this bothers me. Just a little.

We share a similar pain. My 06 was a one owner creampuff purchased at, always serviced by and traded back into the same dealer. The front plate had been affixed in a holder with two way tape that had deteriorated and had been removed. Luckily the bumper area was untouched. The dealer offered to install either a drilled (permanent) mount or another taped model. I declined and actually had to sign something that I had declined a front plate holder. Anyway, what I hadn't noticed, despite a very thorough inspection, were the two extra holes in the fascia behind the rear license plate for the bottom of the plate that some (lot boy?) had screwed clear through instead of using nuts and bolts to fasten the plate to their holder. Can't see them but I know they're there...
Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TerryL
We share a similar pain. My 06 was a one owner creampuff purchased at, always serviced by and traded back into the same dealer. The front plate had been affixed in a holder with two way tape that had deteriorated and had been removed. Luckily the bumper area was untouched. The dealer offered to install either a drilled (permanent) mount or another taped model. I declined and actually had to sign something that I had declined a front plate holder. Anyway, what I hadn't noticed, despite a very thorough inspection, were the two extra holes in the fascia behind the rear license plate for the bottom of the plate that some (lot boy?) had screwed clear through instead of using nuts and bolts to fasten the plate to their holder. Can't see them but I know they're there...
I bought my 08 2 months ago and I asked the salesman where the front plate holder was and he said he didn't know. I left there with the front plate on the dash. With my luck with the cops I need to get something before I get pulled over.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Travis S
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with my fellow Oregonian
I don't run a front plate, So far have not been pulled over ( Knock on wood). I live in a small town where the cops are bored and my car is loud, trust me they have seen there's no plate and could care less.

Last edited by Travis S; 02-19-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:27 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Almost 2 years with no front plate. The car was purchased in Washington where they have the same law and it didn't have a front plate there either.

Police have seen the car and they probably won't pull me over for it, but if I do something that they do pull me over for they might add that fine to the ticket.

202 Scappoose to Astoria
Old 02-19-2016, 11:18 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
Almost 2 years with no front plate. The car was purchased in Washington where they have the same law and it didn't have a front plate there either.

Police have seen the car and they probably won't pull me over for it, but if I do something that they do pull me over for they might add that fine to the ticket.

202 Scappoose to Astoria
I applaud you Oregon boys for your rebel attitudes. Good luck with future endeavors. For me in CNY area, the police here are just looking for anything to stop motorists, it's just a matter of which violation is worse at that moment. They tend to follow any car especially if it has a modded look to it, like a lion ready to pounce on it's prey. Until something grabs their their attention that may be worse of a violation. Just sayin I don't want to give them any reason to attract their attention.

Get notified of new replies

To Oregon front plate ?

Old 02-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Charlie from Cherry Hill
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a front plate on my C6 until July 2015. On 7/1/15 Wyoming passed a law; any car without a front license plate bracket does not need a front license. I keep a copy of the law in my glove box just in case.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,332 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

WA is a front plate state. I got stopped for no front plate. In my Monte. Never in any of my vettes...
Old 02-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Personally, I'd go without until I was stopped. While I was in the military, I was stationed in several states that required a front a plate and never ran one. I was never stopped or ticketed for not having one, even when I was stopped for 'other reasons': I was never even warned for not having one. Fortunately, I now live in a state where, that thanks to a exception, I don't require one. IMO until you receive a 'fix it' ticket or warning, I wouldn't install one That being said and to answer your question, I don't believe there's a requirement to have it 'centered'.

Last edited by Welker1; 02-20-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oregon front plate ?