C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation unlock

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with Dave. When I put my nav unit from a 13 into my 11 GS, I ran into the same problem. I found a local shop that married mine with their tech 2 for a 25.00 charge and never looked back! I was in and out in 15 minutes.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM
z06cop
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay looking for advise....I called the service mgr who put me in contact with the tech. He told me he has 17 years exp and he could not get it to unlock. Then when I told him it was a 2013 radio, he said that the 2008s were not made for those and the 2013 radios required different programming. He then told me he'd call GM Tech and get back with me. He called me back and said GM said since it did not come with the car and I did not buy it through GM parts, they were unable to offer any assistance. So, do I waste time and money at another dealership? or send it to one of these radio places and pay $100 to have it jailbreaked to let it work in any gm car? I just wanted to upgrade my radio, wasnt expecting all this.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:31 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Technically there is no "jailbreak" for for OEM Navigation radios for Corvettes.

Once a GM radio is initialized for the first time it learns the VIN# from the vehicle and writes it to a flash within the radio. From that point on any time the radio is powered on the VIN stored in the flash is compared with the current car VIN # and if they don't match it throws up a TheftLock message (and/or lights a red LED depending on the radio).

All the technician is doing with the Tech2 is clearing the stored VIN# flash in the radio which causes the radio to relearn the new VIN # on next power-up.

My local GM service dept. gave me the same speech when I asked about having TheftLock reset on a used OEM radio (no guarantees resetting a used OEM radio and no refund if they couldn't reset it) which is why I purchased a clone Tech2 to clear it myself (as well as be able to reprogram fobs on my other GM vehicles) and never looked back. I have now done several resets and BCM configuration changes for several local Corvette owners free of charge (ok, sometimes I accepted cold beer) and will continue to do so for anyone who asks.

That being said I posted detailed screenshots of how you reset the TheftLock on a Navigation radio here to make it easier for other members to do their own resets.

Last edited by RC4G; 09-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (12-18-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 01:14 PM
z06cop
Advanced

Well, guess ill be purchasing one. i dont mind that if it will work. I just assume there is nothing wrong with the radio since the Nav and radio worked on ACC when I hooked it all up, before buttoning everything back up. Thanks for all the advise!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by z06cop
Well, guess ill be purchasing one. i dont mind that if it will work. I just assume there is nothing wrong with the radio since the Nav and radio worked on ACC when I hooked it all up, before buttoning everything back up. Thanks for all the advise!
man I am sorry you are having all these issues , the technician is full of sh##t ....

why dont you call another dealer or try and find a repair shop that has a TECH ll and explain to them what you want to do , it might be worth the drive

I get why they are questioning the ownership of the radio and I have heard of them requiring a bill of sale to prove it's not stolen but for the tech to tell you he has 17 years experence and that a 2013 takes different programing ... just shows his ignorance

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-27-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:44 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

I've got a 2013 Nav in my 2007 ... no issues at all. Reset the VIN with a Tech II and works fine. The dealer tech had no idea what he was talking about (granted, there could still be something wrong with the radio itself ...).
Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 PM
z06cop
Advanced

True! but it worked when I hooked it up in ACC mode. Not that it couldnt be, but I can see no reason why it would be broke. Guess Ill try another place tomorrow.

Last edited by z06cop; 09-27-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:27 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
So you bought a new Tech 2 for $250-$300 to make it do a $100 job? Now with a little ingenuity right from the radio you can make the radio go into these screens and diagnostics:

but you cant unlock it from those,you need a tech2 scanner
Old 09-27-2017, 10:17 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
but you cant unlock it from those,you need a tech2 scanner
Again for the SECOND time in this thread if you read my posts I NEVER said these screens will unlock your radio. It's just some cool things you can do FROM the radio if you know where to look. Did you bother to read posts #9 and #18?

Last edited by Oh Boy; 09-27-2017 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NavyAirTraffic (10-15-2023)
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM
z06cop
Advanced

Ok guys! Thanks for all your help...I found a local shop that followed the instructions here and unlocked it in 7 minutes and charged me $20. The only issues are the Clock Screen has nothing in it, and when you go to change it, no numbers show and wont let you select any of the time zone etc.
Also the Nav screen map wont change from Penn. where the previous owner lived. It lets me enter destinations and will give directions, but only from PN.
Anything I can do to get these last 2 functions working?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

give the clock a few hours ... it will update using the GPS satellite time , then just set ur time zone

for the navigation area , in the setup you need to chose your region....pm me if u can't figure it out

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-29-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav unlock

[QUOTE=Dcasole;1595651017]wow if they can't unlock a NAV unit then I would not trust then to put air in my tires .... I would have complained to the service manager because I bet they either gave the job to the oil change kid or they really did not try real hard

Dave[/QUOTE
Bortz chev dealership Wayneburg,Pa 50.00 twenty min. Out the door
Old 09-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Ok guys! Thanks for all your help...I found a local shop that followed the instructions here and unlocked it in 7 minutes and charged me $20.
So the only proof you offered up is that your dealership is a bunch of idiots. Glad you got it sorted out.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Ok guys! Thanks for all your help...I found a local shop that followed the instructions here and unlocked it in 7 minutes and charged me $20. The only issues are the Clock Screen has nothing in it, and when you go to change it, no numbers show and wont let you select any of the time zone etc.
Also the Nav screen map wont change from Penn. where the previous owner lived. It lets me enter destinations and will give directions, but only from PN.
Anything I can do to get these last 2 functions working?
ZO6 I answered your PM ... sorry for the delay ..

Dave
Old 11-17-2018, 12:30 AM
BlueAngelVet
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that this topic started in 2016 and now it is close to the end of 2018 and a lot of things might have changed. For example you can now buy on EBay a tool called "Vident iLink400" for somewhere between $120 - $160, select one car manufacturer and download protocols for free. For GM it includes Tech2. Second car manufacturer SW update/expansion is going to cost you additional $60 (if you want support for multiple brands).
I have just bought one online today and will report back when receive the tool and the experience.
I also have replaced my old Radio / Nav unit because it started issues with recognizing Nav DVDs on my 2008 Corvette with the one bought from another Corvette owner on EBay.
I have one more tip to share for anybody who connects used Radio for the first time from another car. When you install radio, keep it in accessory mode so you can test it if it works. In my case I tested both CD & DVD and they worked fine. Do not start the engine or change the mode because it is that change that triggers the Theft mode checking. This way you can check if everything works fine before either going to a dealer (hopefully not) or using any capable Tech2 tool yourself.
I checked two Chevy/GM dealers today and one told me that they can try for $160 and it will take several hours and no guarantee because they only support "new unit programming" (?!) Well, we know it is BS because new unit does not need any programming anyway.
Second dealer quoted that it will take 1h and it is going to cost me $150 and I should leave the car for several hours just in case.
So I guess nothing has changed with the dealers.
I am really glad I found this forum and have just registered.
Thank you All for sharing !
Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

It takes less than a minute with a tech ll to remove the old serial number from the unit and it will marry the first car that it is installed in and started

as long as your tool emulates a tech II u should be good
Amazing that the dealers still say this was
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 11-17-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 AM
z06cop
Advanced

Default Unlock

Yes I did that with mine.. just be aware as I states somewhere in this thread that a Chevy dealership took $70 and then told me it could not be done. I took it to a local shop that had a Tech 2 tool and they followed the instructions provided in this thread and charged me $25 and it took about 10 min. I did use there receipt to go and get my $70 returned to me. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation unlock

Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 AM
VRXR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlock

I just replaced my 2012 OEM nav radio with a used unit (Best Buy swapped them out for $55 in about 40 minutes).

First Chev dealer I called said they would have to remove the radio to check the serial number to make sure it wasn’t stolen. No thanks. On to dealer number 2 and they unlocked for $99 with no issues.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Guys, just remember that on a Nav radio, you have to go into the Nav menu, then Nav special functions, while if you have a CD radio, go into the Radio menu, then radio special functions menu for the vin relearn.

This is the hang up that a lot of dealer's have, since they try to go into the radio menu (not nav menu) with the tech II, then radio special functions, and it's not going to Vin relearn the Nav from the radio special function Vin relearn procedure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
BlueAngelVet (11-24-2018), mikeCsix (02-15-2024)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 PM
gwhite1950
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unclecookie, you seem to have good knowledge about this system. Here is my problem and hopefully you have some ideas.

I opened my nav system screen to remove the Navigation DVD to insert the updated one I purchased. While unpacking the new one the nav screen closed on me. Now it will not open and the screen says the following.
CAUTION
CANNOT LOAD SYSTEM SOFTWARE
DISK TYPE INCORRECT
PLEASE INSERT CORRECT SYSTEM DISK

There is no disk in the system and I can's open the screen to insert one. How do I get the screen open? Is there a sequence method to get it open or is there a pin hole somewhere that will open it. Let me know your thought as I am stumped.
I have done the following:
1. took radio fuse out and in several time while pushing screen Hard Key
2. Disconnected car battery for 30 minutes in hope it would reset itself.
None of these have worked.
HELP!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation unlock