C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[FIX] Tonneau cover hits rear window (with video)

Old 10-09-2017, 03:45 PM
ibgolfr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap View Post
Sorry to give this old topic another boost but would like some input from those of you that have replaced this part. I have a base 07 Convertible and did the strap shortening mod last fall. I shortened the straps by about 3/4" at the time and went from a hard clunk to a very light touch which didn't last long since it has stretched out again and hits as hard as ever now. That job was absolute hell to do by yourself and that's the opinion of a retired mechanic of 46 years. If I undertake this project one more time I want it to be a permanent fix.

I see there is a part number for a replacement strap and I have a couple of questions regarding the strap. It shows that it fits 2008 up. Did they change the make and supplier of the convertible top used in 2008 up from the ones used from 05-07, or just modify the way the strap is attached?

Has anyone installed these straps on an 05-07 convertible? I also noticed that the quantity shown at the GM parts online shows 1 since 2 are required does one need to order 2 or is the 1 indicated a kit that includes 2?

I read in a previous comment that the difficulty of replacing the strap would be much easier if the cloth were removed from the top and was wondering about detaching the rivet end first and attaching a string to it so by pulling the strap out you would be pulling the string into its correct path to use for pulling the new strap into place?

I have a full set of mechanics tools available including pop rivet or various fasteners if required and the only difference being in the way the straps are attached.

Thanks for any advice and helpful suggestions.
GM changed the frame in I though 09. Before that the strap and yours was this way, was mounted on the side of one of the frame arms, incorporated a leather section and then an elastic section which ran down to Bow #4 and attached with the bolt. 09's and forward, the strap was mounted on the top of a frame member with a rivet, was all so sort of elastic material and ran down again to Bow#4 and attached there. I have not searched for the straps for an 05--07 or 08?--so I don't know if they are available from GM, they should be. The rivet on your car should be easy to get out and replace given its location...the 09's and about not so much.

Hope this link helps--this is 09 and up

https://www.google.com/search?q=2009...FTRMo-qy4cUSM:

Older frame

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...wd=&origin=pla
The following users liked this post: ibgolfr
Icecap (10-09-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 06:59 PM
ibgolfr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Rivet

Originally Posted by YLOC6 View Post

I had planned on getting new straps from the dealer but I re considered figuring that they would stretch out like the originals did.

So I went to Walmart and bought two flat bungee straps (24")

I then used a hack saw to remove the current rivets after pulling the factory straps off, I then used a screw/bolt combination to attach the new straps to the top.

I then cut the straps to the exact length of the old factory straps, I figured this would give me room to hold the strap as I screwed them into the bottom holes...those holes are a real bit** to thread into!

There are a few more little details but that is the short version and is to the point enough. I will say that this is by no means an "easy" job, I've done much more difficult things but many more easier as well. Its not for the faint of heart, if you don't feel you can complete it don't try, no straps at all is far worse than stretched out ones!!

If you have this issue and live in Southern Florida PM me, I can help you out.

Attached are photos.

Thanks!
If you don't mind my asking...after you get the rivet body out of the frame hole, how did you get a bolt in the frame member. As I inspect the rivet, I can see the bottom end where the mushroom part is located and I understand cutting off the head and drifting out the lower art...but the hole left by the rivet removal doesn't go all the way through the frame member from what I can see. Can you explain how you managed to get the bolt in place, how long the bolt was and the size (dia.) of the bolt body.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 05-06-2018, 09:29 AM
flatwater
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Looking for an update from anyone who's replaced the straps on the earlier model years (06 - 07). I have this problem on my 07. Iím considering replacing the straps with new GM parts, but wondering if the problem returned.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Stavesacre21
CF Senior Member

Liked 99 Times in 62 Posts

Originally Posted by flatwater View Post
Looking for an update from anyone who's replaced the straps on the earlier model years (06 - 07). I have this problem on my 07. Iím considering replacing the straps with new GM parts, but wondering if the problem returned.
It seems to be the general consensus that GM never bothered to look into a more suitable replacement for the C6 strap, therefore if u replace with the same strap, it will eventually stretch out again. However, the early model straps you have are significantly easier to replace than the later models and I think you'll find that its worth it to keep swapping them out when the stretch out. It looks like a 5 to 10 minute job.

Now if you'd had an 08-13 strap, it'd be a different story since its held on by a rivet. You could also go the alternate route and find a different strap to retofit like others have and hope that it holds out better. At any rate, there appears to be no clear best route to go.

As the OP of this thread, I feel I should mention that I no longer have my Corvette so I cant give any new updates, just pass along info id obtained when I owned it.

Good luck however you decide to proceed.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:21 PM
h8snow
CF Senior Member

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I replaced both straps on my 06 vert last summer. The dealer ordered them part number 89024073. I drilled out the rivet and replaced with 6mm Phillips head screws, flat washers and lock nuts. Took care of the top hitting the tonneau. The strap kit came with the replacement rivets of you wanted to reuse that type of connection. I liked using the little 6mm screws because I can adjust the tension if needed just by adding another hole to the strap. The strap kit was very inexpensive.

Last edited by h8snow; 05-06-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM
No. 386
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Did this repair about 5 years ago. The top started hitting again about 2 years ago so the strap obviously stretched again over time. Havenít repaired it again but I will eventually to see if it stretches again. Just not a priority. The 2 finger pull works fine for now.

Last edited by No. 386; 05-07-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:03 AM
bonnell
CF Senior Member

Liked 34 Times in 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21 View Post
Hey guys, I've been looking into this for almost a month now, and as others following previous threads about this topic may remember me saying, I figured out an excellent fix for it. It doesn't require taking the top apart, nor does it require a brand new top. In fact, it requires nothing more than a socket wrench, 7mm socket and a hole punch. For those of us that no longer have our bumper-to-bumper warranty or even those that don't trust a dealer tech to deal with a top they don't understand, this fix is a home run.

As countless others have mentioned, I came down to the conclusion that the straps are indeed the culprit of all the issues. I was able to easily confirm this by simply pulling tight on the strap, which instantly pulled the window in about 3/4' to a full inch...and that was just 1 side's strap. The TSB instructs that you MUST do both sides, which I would imagine will easily pull your window back a full inch during operation. The straps simply aren't tight enough. The following is a picture from the TSB of exactly what needs to be done:

After looking for the specific screw that needs removed to tighten the strap that is responsible for the window retraction inward, I was shocked to find that both ends of the strap were visible, and the end with the screw was very accessible when the top is in its most retracted upright state (where it sits upright while the tonneau is moving). This fix isn't going to require disassembling and removing the top which apparently results in all of the after-thought headaches everyone has mentioned. The only reason the top was removed/disassembled for the TSB was for illustration purposes (which it even states). However, it does appear that another hand would be very useful to (A) support the top and make sure it doesn't move after hydraulic pressure is relieved (which was roughly 2-4 minutes in my findings), and (B) to lend a hand to provide relief of tension from the strap when removing/reinstalling the screw.

Total time from beginning to finish is estimated from 20 to maybe 45 minutes. It took me around an hour since I was doing it by myself and was also taking pictures/videos along the way. As you will find, most of the time will be spent trying to get the screw back into the hole when the strap is tighter. I found that threading the screw through the new hole in the strap beforehand worked will, then simply finding the hole in the bow it screws into and getting it started. Once it catches the slightest bit, its all downhill. Just remember that the bow is hard plastic, and that you don't want to over tighten or strip the hole.

As promised, I did make a video to help illustrate how this fix goes. Because I only have 2 hands and the work area is rather tight (at least to work in AND film), I wasn't able to film the actual removal or insertion of the screw. But you can probably imagine what a screw looks like when it's removed. Not exactly tough.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/mm_Acb3886k

I've also taken a few pictures to illustrate a few different things. The first one is how much further up the strap I moved it. I decided to go with somewhere between a 1/2" to 3/4" instead of the TSB listed 1/4". This was mostly because of how little a 1/4" seemed to be doing.

The next two images are to illustrate how much space there is between the tonneau and the window AFTER the fix. Keep in mind, I had very bad contact, not just a slight rub prior. Check the video if you want to see just how bad it was.

Thanks for this. Mine hits sometimes so this may be in my future.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:39 AM
flatwater
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I see some comments here that the strap for the pre-08 cars (part no. 89024073) comes as a Ďpairí. Can someone verify that is true? I stopped by my dealer and was told itís a single strap and Iíd have to order 2.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:22 AM
enventr
CF Senior Member

Liked 272 Times in 257 Posts

This was a terrible design. The new straps will stretch after some time. I just help my top with the 2 finger method problem solved.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:57 AM
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Liked 393 Times in 339 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr View Post
This was a terrible design. The new straps will stretch after some time. I just help my top with the 2 finger method problem solved.
Yea....I've been using the "Two Finger Tango" method for about 7 years now. Still would like it to work correctly though. There has to be a material that would be a good replacement and that would also eliminate the stretch again worries......
Old 06-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Plan C
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I just replaced the straps in my '07 after procrastinating for more than a year. I would never have attempted it without the excellent information provided by Stavesacres21 and other contributors along the way. I did note something during my installation that may benefit others making this fix. I ordered part number 89024073 from Cultrag and installed the pair (they come as a pair including new screws and pop rivets) following basic instructions provided in this thread.
After the install, I was very disappointed to find that the tonneau cover still made contact with the top going both up and down. Upon further inspection, I found that the bow was not being pulled forward by the strap, but was instead frozen in place. I worked it back and forth by hand to free it up and applied a tiny bit of lube at the pivot point on each side. That did the trick - works perfectly without hitting now! I can't help but wonder if some of those who are experiencing the contact problem now might obtain a little more life out of their existing straps by simply ensuring that the bow they connect to is free to rotate forward when the top is operated. It had never occurred to me to check that first.
The following 2 users liked this post by Plan C:
h8snow (06-03-2018), Icecap (08-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 04:15 PM
drsalka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2012 Corvette Convertible Problem

The tonneau cover on my 2012 hits the back window as well. Tried to make the adjustments you suggest and my straps have no elasticity left (one of them is torn). Can you provide me with the part # of the straps?

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21 View Post
Just checking in on this thread since the warm weather is starting to break.

Anyone else give it a shot and care to share results?

Anyone have any questions?

Let's get this info out to all convertible owners we can! Being such an easy repair, no one should have to live with the "rub".
Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Stavesacre21
CF Senior Member

Liked 99 Times in 62 Posts

Originally Posted by drsalka View Post
The tonneau cover on my 2012 hits the back window as well. Tried to make the adjustments you suggest and my straps have no elasticity left (one of them is torn). Can you provide me with the part # of the straps?
They are finite parts and by their (poorly) designed nature, will eventually stretch to the point that they will have to be replaced.

The strap you need is available here:
https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/gm-tension-arm-19207656?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ebdBR C1ARIsAD8U0V4VdbBVHi8wEsCf4gMiMexuWBfOmz VTyOEaEqJIXUH_Spl2Z8rqHzwa

might able to find it cheaper if you look. GM p/n 19207656

Replacing it will be a challenge without removing the top. Best of luck with the replacement.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:18 PM
Droshki
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Id like to thank Stavesacre21 for starting this thread, and all the work he put into it, and PLAN C for posting up the part number I needed. I've been away for a while (previously had a 76, 81, 85, and a 2004), but I recently got this 2007 convertible, and while re-familiarizing myself with the forum came across this thread and realized I had this exact problem. I shortened up the straps and it worked, but it took two new holes and about an inch of strap and it was clear that the elasticity was gone, so it was great to read even further and find the part number for the replacement parts.

Great to see that there's still such quality people here.
The following users liked this post: Droshki
Plan C (04-14-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [FIX] Tonneau cover hits rear window (with video)

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: