C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[FIX] Tonneau cover hits rear window (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Freedmilk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2008 in which my top worked fine. Last year my top was replaced due to tree damage and now I'm having this issue I'll have to check and see which strap version of the top I have now.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedmilk
I have a 2008 in which my top worked fine. Last year my top was replaced due to tree damage and now I'm having this issue I'll have to check and see which strap version of the top I have now.
Hi Freedmilk,

I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with the top on your Corvette. I understand you may be seeking advice from other forum users, but if you would like additional support I would be happy to look into this further on my end. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information and preferred dealer if you are interested.

Thank you,
Lauren E
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Anyone have any questions?
Just thinking out loud, but to augment strap strength @ holes would it be feasible folding strap over onto itself? Use original hole & go through new material doubled-up. Screw holds both secure, ideally doubling strength.

Those 2 straps flex a lot, it's what they do & under tension at times.
JMHO strap ever failed, it'd be at either of those 2 connection points.

Outstanding job, BTW.
Guessing a design engineer/IE, huh.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Just thinking out loud, but to augment strap strength @ holes would it be feasible folding strap over onto itself? Use original hole & go through new material doubled-up. Screw holds both secure, ideally doubling strength.

Those 2 straps flex a lot, it's what they do & under tension at times.
JMHO strap ever failed, it'd be at either of those 2 connection points.

Outstanding job, BTW.
Guessing a design engineer/IE, huh.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I can say that if you were to fold the strap onto itself, it would be much too tight to even get anywhere remotely close to where the screw goes on the bow. The modification were talking about only moves it 3/4" up a strap that's got to be close to 8 inches long.

Even if you were only talking about folding over a small area like an inch and doubling it up, it would then be too thick to be able to get the screw thread started.

There really isn't a whole lot of room to work with around the screw, and you can tell that they designed it without a lot of tolerance to modification.

Its good thinking outside the box, but I don't think there's really a whole lot of room to do anything. I only got the idea because it was straight of the TSB itself to make a new hole a little further up the strap.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

UPDATE:

At right around 6 months since I made the repair of a 3/4" move up the strap, I'm glad to report that it's still holding strong and hasn't stretched back out to bump the tonneau again. I'll continue to update the thread over time since I still get occasional PM's asking if it's holding up.

Let me know if anyone else has any questions
The following 4 users liked this post by Stavesacre21:
Henryr01 (08-02-2016), Landru (07-11-2016), reindeerdad (06-17-2023), SpeedUp (07-11-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the fix, it appeared to work great for a day and now it strikes the window again, I believe its due to the strap stretching out and I believe that the straps need to be replaced.

Are these straps even available at the dealer????
Old 08-09-2016, 05:42 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

There has to be a better material to make these straps from ??.....Any clues/ideas anyone ??
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 PM
1restoman1
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by YLOC6
I made the fix, it appeared to work great for a day and now it strikes the window again, I believe its due to the strap stretching out and I believe that the straps need to be replaced.

Are these straps even available at the dealer????

Yes the straps are available. For my 06 the part number is 89024073.
Its sold as a pair. I know it fits a few different years but don't know the cutoff date. Check with your local dealer. Give him your VIN number and ask for the tension straps.. I have not replaced my as yet, over the winter months it will get done.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:39 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1restoman1
Its sold as a pair. I know it fits a few different years but don't know the cutoff date. Check with your local dealer. Give him your VIN number and ask for the tension straps.. I have not replaced my as yet, over the winter months it will get done.

Do you remember the cost? Can they be ordered online?
Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

Nevermind I found it, link:

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co.../89024073.html
Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1restoman1
Did they come with the rivets? also there are two part numbers, do you know if you have the short or longer ones?
Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

From my experience of dealing with the straps so far, it seems that the 1st gen straps (from 2005-2008) are easier to replace but also seem to wear and stretch out quicker. Alternately, the 2nd gen straps from 2008-2013 seem to retain the elasticity better and seem less prone to replacement when modified as I've mentioned in this thread.

I'm assuming you have a 2008 or older C6, correct?

If not, getting to the straps to change them out will be impossible without removing the fabric top first.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Keefer07
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Did they come with the rivets? also there are two part numbers, do you know if you have the short or longer ones?
My 09 uses part number 19207656 and cost $25.17 each. They came in today and they do not come with the rivets.

My old strap came off the rivet while I was moving the screw on the other end. I was able to get it back on the rivet using a small flat screwdriver and a 90 degree pick. I'm going to try and put the new straps on the same way without replacing the rivet.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Keefer07
Instructor

Took about 30 minutes to change straps. I was able to work the new straps over the heads of the rivets. The new straps are about an inch shorter than the ones I took off.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:25 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

I had planned on getting new straps from the dealer but I re considered figuring that they would stretch out like the originals did.

So I went to Walmart and bought two flat bungee straps (24")

I then used a hack saw to remove the current rivets after pulling the factory straps off, I then used a screw/bolt combination to attach the new straps to the top.

I then cut the straps to the exact length of the old factory straps, I figured this would give me room to hold the strap as I screwed them into the bottom holes...those holes are a real bit** to thread into!

There are a few more little details but that is the short version and is to the point enough. I will say that this is by no means an "easy" job, I've done much more difficult things but many more easier as well. Its not for the faint of heart, if you don't feel you can complete it don't try, no straps at all is far worse than stretched out ones!!

If you have this issue and live in Southern Florida PM me, I can help you out.

Attached are photos.

Thanks!

Last edited by YLOC6; 08-12-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: photos
Old 08-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Keefer07
Instructor

I had planned on getting new straps from the dealer but I re considered figuring that they would stretch out like the originals did.

I then used a hack saw to remove the current rivets after pulling the factory straps off, I then used a screw/bolt combination to attach the new straps to the top.

I then cut the straps to the exact length of the old factory straps, I figured this would give me room to hold the strap as I screwed them into the bottom holes...those holes are a real bit** to thread into!

There are a few more little details but that is the short version and is to the point enough. I will say that this is by no means an "easy" job, I've done much more difficult things but many more easier as well. Its not for the faint of heart, if you don't feel you can complete it don't try, no straps at all is far worse than stretched out ones!!

Attached are photos.

Thanks!
I like the bolt idea! Would have been easier than what i did.

I will try that if mine come loose.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:20 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Keefer07
I like the bolt idea! Would have been easier than what i did.

I will try that if mine come loose.
Cutting the rivet out wasn't difficult, I was going to replace it with another rivet however the rivets I have were not long enough.

Another note, I burned the ends of the strap so that they wouldn't come apart.

The top operated beautifully now!

Get notified of new replies

To [FIX] Tonneau cover hits rear window (with video)

Old 08-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Attached are photos.

Thanks!
Kudos on the work you've done

I'm a little confused at how you could screw a bolt and nut into the hold that the rivet is in. I see that you cut the end of the rivet off but the stub would still be in the hole. How did you manage to get the stub out so you could screw another screw in the hole?
Old 08-14-2016, 04:20 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Kudos on the work you've done

I'm a little confused at how you could screw a bolt and nut into the hold that the rivet is in. I see that you cut the end of the rivet off but the stub would still be in the hole. How did you manage to get the stub out so you could screw another screw in the hole?
I was kinda wondering the same thing, but we don't know if the rivet was fixed in place....or was it held in place only when both heads were in tact. If that was the case then that could explain the hole left.....but was it already threaded for a screw ??
Old 08-14-2016, 04:40 PM
YLOC6
Advanced

The body of the rivet was stuck in the hole yes, I simply knocked it out with a center punch.

Quick Reply: [FIX] Tonneau cover hits rear window (with video)