C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Recognizing Key Fobs in 2005

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:09 PM
shaun5142
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Recognizing Key Fobs in 2005

Hi,
My car is suddenly not recognizing my key fobs. I cannot open the doors, start it, or even pop the trunk lid. I have replaced the batteries. The car starts fine when a fob is placed in the slot in the glove box. When I shut it off after starting it with the fob in the glove box I get the "fobs not detected. run or off?" error.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by shaun5142
Hi,
My car is suddenly not recognizing my key fobs. I cannot open the doors, start it, or even pop the trunk lid. I have replaced the batteries. The car starts fine when a fob is placed in the slot in the glove box. When I shut it off after starting it with the fob in the glove box I get the "fobs not detected. run or off?" error.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
A fob in the glove box slot will start the car even if the fob batteries are dead. Be sure the batteries have been put in the fob correctly. If the fob is laying open, the "+" side of the battery must be down. Also be sure that the batteries don't have any engraved information on either side. Ray-O-Vac batteries are bad about this.

If all of these are okay, check the voltage on one of the batteries. They could be old, and not up to full voltage.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 02-28-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:32 PM
shaun5142
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
A fob in the glove box slot will start the car even if the fob batteries are dead. Be sure the batteries have been put in the fob correctly. If the fob is laying open, the "+" side of the battery must be down. Also be sure that the batteries don't have any engraved information on either side. Ray-O-Vac batteries are bad about this.

If all of these are okay, check the voltage on one of the batteries. They could be old, and not up to full voltage.
Thanks, but I have checked all of that. I have not checked the voltage of the batteries, but I did put a new battery in both fobs.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Those are the exact symptoms of a fob that is not getting power from its' battery. There are lots of ways this can happen but an unpowered fob does exactly what you are experiencing.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM
shaun5142
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cclive
Those are the exact symptoms of a fob that is not getting power from its' battery. There are lots of ways this can happen but an unpowered fob does exactly what you are experiencing.
I know it is the same symptoms. I have dealt with them many times. But it is both fobs and I put in new batteries. So if it is not the battery itself, then any ideas?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Pull the fob apart and clean all the contact parts including the prong contact pads on the board.

On the prongs, you can bend them slightly open so they have better contacts to the board pads when put back together.

To remove the board, remove it with it rubber piece one shot, and then after you clean the board, put it back in the rubber piece to install it and the rubber piece one shot as well.

As for the contact pads on the board, used Q-tips with the contact clearer, then give the entire board a quick shot to clean all the parts.

The following users liked this post:
thehaggis (03-10-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 07:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

These are some of the places where the current from the battery can be interrupted. Also, the little metal piece behind the battery in Dano's picture can be in the wrong place, making battery contact bad.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:15 PM
shaun5142
Intermediate

Thanks for the help. A little update. Since my last post I took a short drive (about 5 minutes). When I parked I shut the door and tried to reopen it and it did open. I went in a store for about 10 minutes and it was fine when I came out like nothing was ever wrong.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shaun5142
Thanks for the help. A little update. Since my last post I took a short drive (about 5 minutes). When I parked I shut the door and tried to reopen it and it did open. I went in a store for about 10 minutes and it was fine when I came out like nothing was ever wrong.
does the button on the fob open the trunk? This is a good test of the fob battery connectivity.

Last edited by cclive; 02-28-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 AM
shaun5142
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cclive
does the button on the fob open the trunk? This is a good test of the fob battery connectivity.
It does not. One of the 5 or 6 times I got in today the door did open. I had tried the trunk just before and it did not open.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 AM
Leigh C. Herring
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked the cars battery? Mine acted like that, changed the fob batteries and sometimes it worked sometimes not. Changed the car battery and all has been good. These cars do some really strange things when the battery is bad.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 PM
shaun5142
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dano523
Pull the fob apart and clean all the contact parts including the prong contact pads on the board.

On the prongs, you can bend them slightly open so they have better contacts to the board pads when put back together.

To remove the board, remove it with it rubber piece one shot, and then after you clean the board, put it back in the rubber piece to install it and the rubber piece one shot as well.

As for the contact pads on the board, used Q-tips with the contact clearer, then give the entire board a quick shot to clean all the parts.

Thanks everyone. I finally did this one and so far it has been fine since. I 1st tried to just clean the contacts with a pencil eraser - I did that when I had the same problem with the door handles and it worked great, but not here. I have only driven a couple times, but so far so good. I appreciate all the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Not Recognizing Key Fobs in 2005

Quick Reply: Not Recognizing Key Fobs in 2005