C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch an electric Corvette shatter a speed record

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Not interested. What makes a car to me is the combination of visuals, chassis, AND motor. An electric motor might have more speed (in very short bursts), but I miss the mechanical aspect.

Similarly, I couldn't care less for Teslas -- soulless machines that are not redeemed simply by their ability to spin their rechargeable motors.

Electric cars are good transportation appliances, I'll grant them that (or they will be, once battery tech improves)
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
95rtturbo (03-24-2017), Landru (08-04-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Another record attempt

Looks like the Genovation GXE is going for another world record...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-world-record/
Old 07-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Not interested. What makes a car to me is the combination of visuals, chassis, AND motor. An electric motor might have more speed (in very short bursts), but I miss the mechanical aspect.

Similarly, I couldn't care less for Teslas -- soulless machines that are not redeemed simply by their ability to spin their rechargeable motors.

Electric cars are good transportation appliances, I'll grant them that (or they will be, once battery tech improves)
Amen
NSF
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (03-24-2017)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default GXE Corvette Breaks Speed Record Again at Over 200 MPH

Well that record didn't last long!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ecord-200-mph/
Old 08-03-2016, 02:59 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it!

I'd love to see more specs, the conversion process, or even what the company plans to do in the future.

Their website is pretty bare: http://genovationcars.com/
Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

Agree 100%. The experience of owning a Vette, or any other high performance car, isn't just in the acceleration, it's in the "experience" associated with that acceleration. To me that includes the sound of the engine. I don't think electric cars will ever be able to capture that and truly replace gas powered vehicles. I was at Laguna Seca the first year they introduced the electric motorcycle class, at the time as a demonstration. It was impressive and you could see the bikes would eventually catch up to their gas counterparts, but it was just an empty experience watching these virtually silent motorcycles flying around the track. It's hard to explain how much the sound adds to the whole experience. I think the car companies get that, I hope they get it, because I don't ever want them to stop building motors that sounds awesome, even as a niche market.
95rtturbo (03-24-2017)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Pretty cool.

It's amazing when you consider that back in the early 30s we had the first Flathead Ford V8s making all of 65-75HP and just about 20 years later we had the early Hemi V8s making 340hp.

Now we are there with the electric powered vehicles, though we have the motors doing fine, but we need to make some cool battery tech. Maybe in 20 years or so we'll have some lightweight batteries that can store some serious power. Whoever can figure that out will be very, very rich.

Last edited by dmk0210; 08-03-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Amazing!

Will the C8 ME be the last gasoline engined Corvette? Highly likely with GM CEO putting huge $$$ resources towards the future of EV's.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 03-25-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 AM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
Pretty cool.
...Maybe in 20 years or so we'll have some lightweight batteries that can store some serious power. Whoever can figure that out will be very, very rich.
That type of advance in tech will more likely result from the work of a team of postdoctoral fellows employed on a DoD grant making ~$35-45k/year working 60-80 hours per week.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:28 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

I'm sure the super hi tech Corvette is in the pipe line, but I'll stick with my old fashioned IC engine thank you.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:23 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by got2hav1
I'm sure the super hi tech Corvette is in the pipe line, but I'll stick with my old fashioned IC engine thank you.
I'm sure there are guys in the C1, C2 and C3 forums that would say the same thing about your C6 and LS engine.

Originally Posted by WhoIsPat
That type of advance in tech will more likely result from the work of a team of postdoctoral fellows employed on a DoD grant making ~$35-45k/year working 60-80 hours per week.
Hi tech batteries for surveillance drones. You're probably right.

Last edited by dmk0210; 08-05-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
I'm sure there are guys in the C1, C2 and C3 forums that would say the same thing about your C6 and LS engine.
We know that and understand that completely. What we (and more importantly GM) does not know is the acceptance of an electric corvette in the Corvette community by more current owners. I can embrace it while others will hold off to the end. It's OK either way with me.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Default behind the scenes footage

Here's a bit more about this very impressive 'Vette...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-gxe-corvette/
Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I live right next to power generation central. They are right now building more windmills on my property and the power plant is right down the road.

Electric cars are nowhere near zero emissions, unless you grow your electricity on trees. We are shutting down power plants that produce extremely cheap electricity simply because of a mandate by our communist dictator and the fact that people are stupid enough to believe this global warming line of crap that is shoved down our throats every day. Then we put up wind farms that produce wildly expensive electricity, and require a fleet of huge cranes and trucks to keep operating, all the while skyrocketing our electric bills. Then we pile billions into failing solar farms and Force the production of electric cars through government force.

Where is the electricity for all of these electric cars supposed to come from? At what price point do we start to feel the inevitable damage that is coming down the pipe with these skyrocketing electric costs? How many billions are we going to give to cronies of the communists while our country continues to go further into bankruptcy?
95rtturbo (03-24-2017)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:16 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalannex
I live right next to power generation central. They are right now building more windmills on my property and the power plant is right down the road.

Electric cars are nowhere near zero emissions, unless you grow your electricity on trees. We are shutting down power plants that produce extremely cheap electricity simply because of a mandate by our communist dictator and the fact that people are stupid enough to believe this global warming line of crap that is shoved down our throats every day. Then we put up wind farms that produce wildly expensive electricity, and require a fleet of huge cranes and trucks to keep operating, all the while skyrocketing our electric bills. Then we pile billions into failing solar farms and Force the production of electric cars through government force.

Where is the electricity for all of these electric cars supposed to come from? At what price point do we start to feel the inevitable damage that is coming down the pipe with these skyrocketing electric costs? How many billions are we going to give to cronies of the communists while our country continues to go further into bankruptcy?
95rtturbo (03-24-2017)
Old 09-17-2016, 03:08 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Woooow you guys are intelligent!... Please educate me more!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Default Genovation Will Build 75 All-Electric Corvettes at $750K a Piece

In case anyone's interesting in one for the quiver...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...es-750k-piece/

Get notified of new replies

To Watch an electric Corvette shatter a speed record

Old 10-21-2016, 01:19 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by z06vettewannabe
Agree 100%. The experience of owning a Vette, or any other high performance car, isn't just in the acceleration, it's in the "experience" associated with that acceleration. To me that includes the sound of the engine. I don't think electric cars will ever be able to capture that and truly replace gas powered vehicles. I was at Laguna Seca the first year they introduced the electric motorcycle class, at the time as a demonstration. It was impressive and you could see the bikes would eventually catch up to their gas counterparts, but it was just an empty experience watching these virtually silent motorcycles flying around the track. It's hard to explain how much the sound adds to the whole experience. I think the car companies get that, I hope they get it, because I don't ever want them to stop building motors that sounds awesome, even as a niche market.

I agree! Over the years, attending the various auto and bike races, my favorite first words out of my mouth is, "music to my ears"
When electric, and autonomous cars become mainstream, is the day the music dies!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:37 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
I agree! Over the years, attending the various auto and bike races, my favorite first words out of my mouth is, "music to my ears"
When electric, and autonomous cars become mainstream, is the day the music dies!
While electric may take over eventually (it will be a long time from now) you will still be able to have your gas powered car. As far as autonomous cars go, I strongly believe that while a lot of people may use them, particularly in cities, you will still be able to drive and enjoy your car. There is just to many people that love cars and love driving for it to ever be banned.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:59 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

750k.. wow. Well, back to the drawing board of converting my own. No, not my Corvette, but my Ranger

I still want to know the weight and overall handling. Putting it on a track so we can compare non-straight-line speed would be good. My guess is that it's heavy and handles like a boat.

I think we're now at the point where electric cars can replace regular transportation-focused gasoline cars. But as far as replacing performance cars, more research (particularly in energy-storage) is needed.

Quick Reply: Watch an electric Corvette shatter a speed record