C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking down a clunking suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:37 AM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tracking down a clunking suspension noise

For awhile now I have been experiencing a solid dull clunk moving at low speeds over rough roads. It seems to be triggered by sudden vertical drops (ie. speed bumps) The clunk only occurs when the wheel falls DOWN, never UP, and it is usually one or two clunks (the second clunk being less audible) depending on how far the drop is. It is audible from both the front and the rear but 85% of the time it comes from the rear only. It almost sounds like something is banging against the floor pan in the rear hatch. It has never occurred at higher than parking lot speeds or it is just drowned out by the road noise.

I have searched nearly every forum thread related to this and tried everything without success.

The car was originally equipped with F55 shocks (So whatever sway bars that came with are on there now)

It has a brand new set of the new style GM end links. They are properly torqued

It has a brand new differential with the correct fluid (did not effect clunking noise)

It has a set of LG GT2 coilovers that I had checked out by LG themselves with no clunking issues found. I also had them run down every corner of the car's suspension and make sure there were no loose bolts.

I have wiggled and kicked the exhaust around very aggressively to try and replicate the clunk if it is hitting something without success

I have recently replaced all four wheel hubs and had the axle nuts replaced and properly torqued

I am running out of options here.

What could I be missing? Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 09:46 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When I had the same symptoms it turned out to be the front end links. LG removed the rear links first as that is where the sound seemed to come from. Test drive proved sound was still there. They then removed the front links which eliminated the sound.

Had it happen twice since then. First time was a loose top shock nut. Second time was bad end links again. Have Moog endlinks with grease zerks now for over a year with no noise.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
corvette-kyle (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 AM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is strange. I hadn't thought of taking the end links off and driving to see if it eliminated the noise. Will definitely be trying that next. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking down a clunking suspension noise

Quick Reply: Tracking down a clunking suspension noise