C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine w/ Vitesse Throttle Controller & JDM Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM
LCSteve
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check Engine w/ Vitesse Throttle Controller & JDM Throttle Body

This email is more of a cautionary tale for anyone making these mods. I installed the Vitesse Throttle Controller a little over a month ago and it has worked great this whole time no complaints. I decided that I wanted to put a new VMAX ported throttle body on from JD Motorsports which arrived this past Friday. It was a super easy install for the throttle body and like I do after every time I work on my cars I took it for a quick test drive after and all was fine in the 1-2 mile drive. Fast forward to this morning after the car sat in the garage all weekend. I jumped in the car and fired it up pulled out and left for work 2 or 3 miles into my drive it felt like threw an anchor out the back and the check engine light came one. I was also getting the DIC message about the need to service the traction control system blah blah reduced power.

I limped back home and checked the car and forums real quick and checked some normal items all were fine. A couple of restarts and the message was still there. Then I saw the post in the Vitesse install thread that someone got the same error message when it wasn't installed correctly. I know this wasn't my issue since it's been working properly for a little while now. Then the light bulb clicked on, it's a new throttle body and the Vitesse needed to be calibrated to my old one before using it last time. So I re-calibrated it and fired up the car an viola no more DIC message and the car seemed normal. The check engine light is still on after 10 miles or so but I'm guessing that will turn itself off soon.

The moral of the story is don't do like I did and install the throttle body after your Vitesse Throttle Controller and forget to re-calibrate it this way you can save some headache.

Steve

Last edited by LCSteve; 03-21-2016 at 11:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LCSteve:
09_BSM_Z51 (03-21-2016), Red Devil (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 01:03 PM
09_BSM_Z51
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Good catch, thanks for the heads up. I installed a VMAX tb weekend before last and got a vitesse coming in this week. If you have a handheld tuner, you can delete the trouble code so no more check engine light.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:12 PM
LCSteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09_BSM_Z51
Good catch, thanks for the heads up. I installed a VMAX tb weekend before last and got a vitesse coming in this week. If you have a handheld tuner, you can delete the trouble code so no more check engine light.
Yes I've got a scanner on order from Amazon just in case for other things too. I took the car out on lunch today and headed up to the local Advanced Auto to have them read the code and turns out they don't do that anymore. Getting back in the car and fire it up and the check engine light is now off. Turned off on the 4th startup after re-calibrating the Vitesse.

Enjoy your combo when the controller comes in this week. Going from Eco-0 to SP-5 is followed by
Old 03-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Matt1colorado
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you seen a real difference after installing the TB spacer?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM
LCSteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt1colorado
Have you seen a real difference after installing the TB spacer?
I installed a full new throttle body vs the spacer and I can't say that I really notice that much of a difference in the seat o pants dyno. I wasn't really expecting much of a difference though as 6-9 HP can be almost impossible to detect especially when you are starting with so much to begin with. I'm more hoping that the extra 1-1.5mpg is more noticeable

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine w/ Vitesse Throttle Controller & JDM Throttle Body

Quick Reply: Check Engine w/ Vitesse Throttle Controller & JDM Throttle Body