C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lear Car2U vs. Homelink

Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lear Car2U vs. Homelink

I know there have been several threads on this topic, LearCar2U and Homelink.

Some of us have LearCar2U, identified by 3 individual LED's on the sunvisor and some of you have Homelink, identified by a single LED light.

I also know that some of you have been successful in programming your LearCar2U systems and others like myself have been unsuccessful, until now.

I have two Liftmaster 8550 garage door openers with the "MyQ" intellisystem, which allows me to open my doors remotely from my smartphone.

I contacted Liftmaster and after explaining which system I have in my 2009 Corvette and 2008 Tahoe (LearCar2U), I was told that I needed the LearCar2U bridge kit, which allows communication between my garage door openers and remote buttons on my vehicle(s).

I purchased one "bridge kit" from Liftmaster, since they told me I only needed 1 kit. After receiving the module, I plugged it into an outlet closest to the garage door opener. Programmed my Tahoe and Corvette pursuant to the instructions and now I can open either garage door from within my 2 cars.

Link to Liftmaster:

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...del-CAR2U-RPTR

Link to Car2U programming instructions for rolling code garage door openers:

http://www.learcar2u.com/rolling-gar...e-instructions

I just thought this might be useful to those who are having difficulty programming their sun visor garage door buttons.

A
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Sometimes mine works, sometimes it don't. I just deal with it. Just curious....how much was the "bridge kit"?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

It's $30.00 from Liftmaster.

There is a short delay after pushing the button on the visor. Quite frankly the handheld remote works faster.....

I just thought this information might be useful to those who want to program their visors.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomomoney
It's $30.00 from Liftmaster.

There is a short delay after pushing the button on the visor. Quite frankly the handheld remote works faster.....

I just thought this information might be useful to those who want to program their visors.
I just installed a new Chamberlain wi-fi equipped garage door opener. I was able to program the Homelink on my 2015 Dart but could not program my wife's 2012 Elantra or the Car2U on my 2013 vette. Called Chamberlain and they ran the VIN for my wife's car and told me I needed the Homelink repeater. Instructions for the garage door opener stated that all cars with a Car2U would need a Car2U repeater. Ordered both from Amazon and they should be here over the next few days. Bought a triple tap so I will be able to plug-in the repeaters at the ceiling, close to the unit.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:06 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have any problem with programming my garage door with the Car 2U car system, but I can't program the gate to our community!

Last edited by ROJ#79; 04-06-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Ira T
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

There is a delay with the bridge. Instead of just pressing the button, you will need to press and hold for a couple of seconds.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
I just installed a new Chamberlain wi-fi equipped garage door opener. I was able to program the Homelink on my 2015 Dart but could not program my wife's 2012 Elantra or the Car2U on my 2013 vette. Called Chamberlain and they ran the VIN for my wife's car and told me I needed the Homelink repeater. Instructions for the garage door opener stated that all cars with a Car2U would need a Car2U repeater. Ordered both from Amazon and they should be here over the next few days. Bought a triple tap so I will be able to plug-in the repeaters at the ceiling, close to the unit.
That's good. With your new Chamberlain wi-fi, you should be able to download the MyQ app on your phone and operate your door remotely, anywhere, right from your phone.

The nice part with the MyQ app, is that not only can you operate your door(s) remotely, but you can also set up the app, to notify you (either via text or e-mail) when the door is activating. This is great, especially when your away from home, it'll give you a heads up if someone who shouldn't be, is entering your garage.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM
dbischoff
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira T
There is a delay with the bridge. Instead of just pressing the button, you will need to press and hold for a couple of seconds.
That's not my experience. I have the Car2U "repeater" for my 2012 Corvette to work with my Liftmaster 8500. There is a delay, about a second or two, but I just have to push the visor button. I don't have to hold it. In fact, when I first started using it, that little delay threw me off and I was attempting to hold the button or press it repeatedly. I was defeating it. I learned that all it takes is a quick touch of the button to be confident the door will move, even though I don't get the instantaneous feedback.

Also, on another related thread it was mentioned that LED or CFL lights can produce radio frequencies that interfere with the Car2U signal. I have LED bulbs throughout the inside and outside of the garage, and have not experienced any problems.

Last edited by dbischoff; 04-07-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:09 PM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Some of us have LearCar2U, identified by 3 individual LED's on the sunvisor and some of you have Homelink, identified by a single LED light.

I also know that some of you have been successful in programming your LearCar2U systems and others like myself have been unsuccessful, until now.

I have two Liftmaster 8550 garage door openers with the "MyQ" intellisystem, which allows me to open my doors remotely from my smartphone.

I contacted Liftmaster and after explaining which system I have in my 2009 Corvette and 2008 Tahoe (LearCar2U), I was told that I needed the LearCar2U bridge kit, which allows communication between my garage door openers and remote buttons on my vehicle(s).

I purchased one "bridge kit" from Liftmaster, since they told me I only needed 1 kit. After receiving the module, I plugged it into an outlet closest to the garage door opener. Programmed my Tahoe and Corvette pursuant to the instructions and now I can open either garage door from within my 2 cars.

Link to Liftmaster:

I just thought this might be useful to those who are having difficulty programming their sun visor garage door buttons.

A
I have lived in my new house for three years. Over those three years I have successfully programmed 5 vehicles either using the learn button on the Liftmaster Garage Door Opener and/or the two button remote that was given to me when I bought the house from the builder. The second button being for the gates in the gated community.

Last week I obtained a 2011 Corvette Convertible and have tried nearly every day to program the garage door and/or the gate entry. Somedays the garage, other days the gate, and some days both. I have tried both the procedure in the Owners Manual and the procedure in LearCar2U. I am one RCH away from giving up and just using the remote I have.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If I purchase the bridge kit, it possibly would take care of my garage door opener but what about the gates in the community? I have never had this level of difficulty before.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Originally Posted by 45gunner
I have lived in my new house for three years. Over those three years I have successfully programmed 5 vehicles either using the learn button on the Liftmaster Garage Door Opener and/or the two button remote that was given to me when I bought the house from the builder. The second button being for the gates in the gated community.

Last week I obtained a 2011 Corvette Convertible and have tried nearly every day to program the garage door and/or the gate entry. Somedays the garage, other days the gate, and some days both. I have tried both the procedure in the Owners Manual and the procedure in LearCar2U. I am one RCH away from giving up and just using the remote I have.

If I purchase the bridge kit, it possibly would take care of my garage door opener but what about the gates in the community? I have never had this level of difficulty before.
I would suggest you call Liftmaster, they should be able to answer your question.

(800) 528-5880
The following users liked this post:
45gunner (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 45gunner

I understand your pain... I don't understand why this **** just doesn't work like it should... We can put a man on the moon but can't design a system to open a friggin garage door.. I just used my 14yr old remote.. works everytime..
Old 02-18-2018, 06:03 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

That's too bad because the "remote bridge" that would've adapted the signal to the right frequency that is sold by liftmaster only costs $30 and works flawlessly for me.

I've never had problems programming cars or remotes to my old garage door.....we have cars as old as 2001 Up to 2011 with the homelink system. However our garage door bit the dust after 18 years. So we installed a new liftmaster and naively I figured that it would backwards compatible with older remotes and products.......not true!!! After trying and failing to get ANY of my cars to work I realized that the fine print pretty much explained that I'd have to buy the bridge unit. Sure wish the installer had said something.....can't be that uncommon of a problem. Quick run to the hardware store where they had many of the devices in stock because it's such a common problem and following the instructions had all of my cars reprogrammed to the new door in about 10 minutes.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Chamberlain and lift master have always been difficult to impossible depending on auto system or any hand held. I’d change the opener to something more common that offers zero resistance.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Chamberlain and lift master have always been difficult to impossible depending on auto system or any hand held. I’d change the opener to something more common that offers zero resistance.
I’ll respectfully disagree with you. I’ve programmed 6 or 7 different cars with zero problem until I got my new door opener last week. If I’d read the info sooner I’d have realized it wasn’t backwards compatible with my 18 year old technology because they’ve updated the frequency band they use for security and performance.

With a $30 part and 10 minutes I now have 3 cars and 3 separate remotes and a 1 keypad all working just fine.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Have car2u (3 LED's) in my 09 Z and as others have stated, it's not the most forward (maybe consistent is a better word) programming process - even for a programmer like me.

Has anyone noticed that the range on the car2u remote is quite limited by comparison to other in car remotes?

TIA, Nick
Old 03-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Olsarge
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fireparamed

I’ll respectfully disagree with you. I’ve programmed 6 or 7 different cars with zero problem until I got my new door opener last week. If I’d read the info sooner I’d have realized it wasn’t backwards compatible with my 18 year old technology because they’ve updated the frequency band they use for security and performance.

With a $30 part and 10 minutes I now have 3 cars and 3 separate remotes and a 1 keypad all working just fine.
I agree 100%. I programmed my '12 GS to my 15 year old home opener first try. I tried and tried to program my new Sears opener on my warehouse to no avail until I bought the bridge kit. 10 minutes later it was done.

Old frequency vs. new frequency.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Rinkopr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the frequencies the car2u transmits?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Link to Liftmaster:

A
Very cool!

When I am ready to replace my GD Opener I will keep this in mind!

Thanks,Matt
Old 03-16-2019, 09:26 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a tough time getting the Car2U/Chamberlain programming to work until I straightened out the antenna wires on both devices. Didn't think it would actually matter if the wires were pointing in a horizontal direction, but apparently it does!

Get notified of new replies

To Lear Car2U vs. Homelink

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lear Car2U vs. Homelink