C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:50 PM
John K MD
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C6 cranks but won't start

I pushed the start button and released the button before the engine started. I did not notice if the malfunction indicator light came on then but its on now, Anyway the engine will crank but will not fire or start. The engine will continue to crank after pushing the start button without having to hold the start button. Eventually the start system will stop cranking by itself. I have fuel in the tank. i took off the gas gap and reinstalled. i removed the positive cable on the battery and reinstalled a few minutes later. i checked the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay both were ok. Battery has plenty of charge to crank the engine. The Mil light is always on but it does not say check, it just lights the icon. Now what. 2005 C6 model
Old 04-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

possibly the fuel pump ??
The following users liked this post:
John K MD (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 01:17 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I had the same issue a few years ago. Everything checked out ok like yours but the end result was the terminals the fuel pump relay plugs into were bad. Ended up being a factory defect according to the dealer. Hope this helps.
John K MD (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 01:40 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Could be a crankshaft position sensor, and may have a trouble code now that you tried starting the engine. Scan tool could help pull the code up.
John K MD (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 02:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Agree with the suggestions above.
Also, it is normal for the engine to continue to crank after releasing the start button. When you start the car you only need to push and immediately release the button and it will crank until start or time-out if it's not getting fuel.
John K MD (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Skiadw
2nd Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am now working on this problem with John and we checked the schrader valve on the fuel piping under the hood and we seem to have good fuel pressure. Now what?
Old 04-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Skiadw
I am now working on this problem with John and we checked the schrader valve on the fuel piping under the hood and we seem to have good fuel pressure. Now what?
Even odds that either you cam shaft sensor connector is coming loose, or your crank sensor connector instead.

Cam shaft sensor is front, right hand side just above the HB tucked way back,

The crank shaft senor is located at the back of the motor on the passenger side behind the starter on the block.

Of the two, would almost say that its the cam shaft sensor (which you can reach down and check to make sure it connected), but if you pull the codes, will tell you the problem from the start.

Hence engine needs fuel, air and spark to run. Since you have fuel at the rail, easy to weed out, air is kind of a give, so leaves spark, and if the cam and crank sensors are not getting a signal to the ECM, your not going to get spark.

And why I say cam shaft connector, it's sensor socket retainer tab loves to get hot and break off, allowing the connector to walk out of the sensor socket it plug into.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dano523:
corvette312 (04-17-2016), j3studio (04-18-2016), John K MD (04-16-2016), PA_BLUE_C6 (07-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Skiadw
2nd Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dano523
Even odds that either you cam shaft sensor connector is coming loose, or your crank sensor connector instead.

Cam shaft sensor is front, right hand side just above the HB tucked way back,

The crank shaft senor is located at the back of the motor on the passenger side behind the starter on the block.

Of the two, would almost say that its the cam shaft sensor (which you can reach down and check to make sure it connected), but if you pull the codes, will tell you the problem from the start.

Hence engine needs fuel, air and spark to run. Since you have fuel at the rail, easy to weed out, air is kind of a give, so leaves spark, and if the cam and crank sensors are not getting a signal to the ECM, your not going to get spark.

And why I say cam shaft connector, it's sensor socket retainer tab loves to get hot and break off, allowing the connector to walk out of the sensor socket it plug into.

Thanks for the great info and pictures i will check this out. Any thoughts on the self diagnostics. as in turn the car on but do not start, press the DIC option button and hold, then push the DIC fuel button 4 times within 10 seconds, release the DIC option button. Then push the DIC option button again and release, then push the DIC gauge button and release and then read the codes. I cant make this work for me. Thanks
John K MD (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Need a OBDII Can scanner to pull the codes.

The cheap way if you have a smart phone to end up with a scan tool.

If android, blue tooth elm 327 from amazon for around $10 with the toqure app.

If Iphone, WiFi elm327 and Dash commander instead.

If you could drive the car, then any auto parts store will pull the codes for free with their scanner.
John K MD (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
If you could drive the car, then any auto parts store will pull the codes for free with their scanner.
Ah, there's the rub. Some of them will loan tools, you have to give them a refundable deposit. One way or another you need a scan tool, perhaps it's time to buy one.
John K MD (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Bert,M.
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your fuel pressure with a gauge. it should be around 58-60 psi while the motor is being cranked. You cannot determin that the pump is good by just pushing the valve and having fuel shoot out. GOOD LUCK.
Also I agree with other members, get your hands on a scanner and pull codes.

Last edited by Bert,M.; 04-16-2016 at 09:42 PM.
John K MD (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:10 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Skiadw
Thanks for the great info and pictures i will check this out. Any thoughts on the self diagnostics. as in turn the car on but do not start, press the DIC option button and hold, then push the DIC fuel button 4 times within 10 seconds, release the DIC option button. Then push the DIC option button again and release, then push the DIC gauge button and release and then read the codes. I cant make this work for me. Thanks
That feature (self diagnostics) works for C5's but no longer available on the C6's.
FYI...
There had also been issues with the camshaft sprocket becoming loose and walking up to the cam sensor and resulting in it getting chewed up.
This usually is accompanied by a lot of noise though in the area.
If you have a scanner that can read live data, you should get a rpm while cranking the engine. No rpm, that should narrow things down to the sensors. GL

Last edited by extrapilot; 04-17-2016 at 11:14 AM.
John K MD (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:27 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Could be a crankshaft position sensor, and may have a trouble code now that you tried starting the engine. Scan tool could help pull the code up.
The vette can start with a bad cam position sensor but not a bad crank position sensor.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

And this is why I enjoy this forum. Learning more about my car daily.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

READ THE CODES!!! That is what they are there for. There are thousands of codes that can be set. They identify issues sometimes right down to which wire is grounded or a wire is open or a wire is connected to power all the time. 3 different codes for one wire. And possibly another couple of codes for the sensor attached to the wire. They get VERY specific as to what the issue is and what the fix is.

Without reading the codes you could have a hundred different possible issues. The sensors mentioned above is just two possibilities. You can spend a lot of money replacing parts or you can READ THE CODES FOR FREE AT A PARTS STORE!

Everyone needs to spend the $25 and get a code reader. The cheapest one will work on any modern car.

Edit: Sorry, made a mistake. There are only 516 possible codes for the engine and transmission.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 04-18-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:45 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have an active OnStar account, you can push the blue button and ask them to run a diagnostic on your car. I have gotten codes for the CEL, TPM, TC/AH & air bag on my C6s and my wife's Cruze that way.
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

So I am having the same issue. Car was fine. Decided to install a line lock. After that the car cranks and no start.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 cranks but won't start

Old 07-15-2016, 09:15 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I am going to ask a question and you can flame me later.
Have you checked all the connections on your battery and your starter? A loose connection will not have the necessary voltage to start the car. Everything else will work no start.
Does your battery have 12.5 volts? Anything less the car will crank but will not start.
Do you here the fuel pump right behind the drivers seat start?
Did you try and Jump the car?
Just some basic questions for a CORVETTE that won't start. There not like other cars there voltage specific. If the computer doesn't get the correct voltage it will not allow the car to start.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:31 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
I am going to ask a question and you can flame me later.
Have you checked all the connections on your battery and your starter? A loose connection will not have the necessary voltage to start the car. Everything else will work no start.
Does your battery have 12.5 volts? Anything less the car will crank but will not start.
Do you here the fuel pump right behind the drivers seat start?
Did you try and Jump the car?
Just some basic questions for a CORVETTE that won't start. There not like other cars there voltage specific. If the computer doesn't get the correct voltage it will not allow the car to start.

Ya i didnt touch any of that stuff before i did what i did.. but they were all tight.. car had 13v, has started at 12v no problem in the past. car cranks all day just never does anything else past that. yea fuel pump comes on as well. I threw a P0336 code the first time i started it.. i let the battery sit with ground and power off for a while.. code now gone...and hasnt returned but still no start
Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Try to start it now that you have the battery connected, then pull the codes.

The codes will tell you the problem of why is did not start !!!!

As for pulling codes, I have a few different scanners, but my down and dirty method to start with it just an Elm327 WiFi, and Dash Commander on my Iphone.

If you have an Android phone, then Elm327 Blue tooth and the torque app isntead.

The elm327 are like $10 off amazon, and depending on the app for the phone, some are free isntead.

Quick Reply: C6 cranks but won't start