C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 C6 Z51 - DIY Plugs and wires saved almost $500

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Gene1Retired
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 C6 Z51 - DIY Plugs and wires saved almost $500

Just changed out the plugs with factory OE and replaced the wires with Granatelli wires with 0 Ohm's and high temp silicon. Took a week to get the wires.

The local dealership wanted $175 for AC Delco OE wires. I opted for the Granatelli wires. I saved about 25 dollars and I gotta say they were nice looking wires and fit perfectly. The car ran great after the change - not sure if the wires helped - but think so.

I'd recommend a magnet spark plug socket, a three inch extension, and a breaker bar to ease them out. I also found a 20-220 in/lb torque wrench for $39 from Amazon that look and worked really well. A can of compressed air for cleaning the loose junk worked well

Before pulling the plugs I used a compressed air can to clean the plug areas of loose road sand and such.

I did put plug grease on the tops but no easy out on the threads - seemed like the consensus here.

The plugs were all gapped correctly out of the box. The hardest part was pulling the wires off the plugs and the front plug on the driver's side.

Used 11 Ft/Lbs of torque or 132 in/lbs. I'll recheck torque in a few miles.

I changed plugs at 40,000 miles because I was getting "Reduced Engine Power" warnings. Light is out but I will still clean the intake and MAS - it is time

My local dealership wanted 700 dollars to replace my plugs and wires. And they said that with out laughing.

Quick Reply: 2007 C6 Z51 - DIY Plugs and wires saved almost $500