C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Color Identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Doc_Ox
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Color Identification

I'm both a new Corvette owner and new to this forum so I come seeking advice from the experts...probably for the first of many times. I've already perused some of the threads and it appears this is an amazing resource that's supported by years of experience from gracious fellow 'Vette owners.

My 2008 C6 has a small scrape on the edge of the wheel that I would like to touch-up with the correct paint color. I've reviewed the "2008 Corvette Color Compatibility Guide" that someone graciously compiled and posted to this forum. With this guide I've narrowed it down to three options:
  • Silver / WA837K
  • Silver / WA8867
  • Gray / WA9243
The wheel appears chrome-like, so I 'think' I can rule out Gray. But that still leaves two options.

I've reviewed the original build sheets that I was given and I was able to identify the Victory Red exterior spec, but I can't locate a code or spec that would reference my wheel color.

Is there a way to identify the color code so that I'm not taking a 50/50 guess at one of the Silver color codes above?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm not sure but if you could post a pic of your car I'm sure someone on here could help out! This is a great forum with lots of knowledgable people! Welcome!

If your wheels appear "chrome like" they may be polished aluminum with a clear coat and not a "painted" wheel at all?

Mine are "Comp Gray" i'm guessing this would be the gray listed above.

Tyler

Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 04-22-2016 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Doc_Ox (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 11:06 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Assuming you have the stock wells that came on the car, the 2008 came with the following wheel options. Competition Gray, Chrome and Polished Aluminum. From what you say, I am betting you have the factory polished aluminum wheels. If that is correct you will need to have the wheel repaired. There are a lot of people that do this, in fact some dealers have them come to their place and repair wheels for customers.
Doc_Ox (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM
Doc_Ox
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the quick responses. I don't have photos of the damage with me here at the office, but I was able to confirm via the window sticker that I indeed have polished aluminum wheels -- specifically "5 Spoke Aluminum Wheels" per the sticker.

The damaged area isn't too large and it's at the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire. It looks as if someone grazed a curb or it was damaged when being separated from the tire. Any rough idea how much it would cost to repair it? Given that it's only about 1" long and at the very edge of the rim it may not be worth the repair depending on the cost...and, of course, based on how much it bothers me since I "know" it's there.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:51 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Doc_Ox
Thanks for the quick responses. I don't have photos of the damage with me here at the office, but I was able to confirm via the window sticker that I indeed have polished aluminum wheels -- specifically "5 Spoke Aluminum Wheels" per the sticker.

The damaged area isn't too large and it's at the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire. It looks as if someone grazed a curb or it was damaged when being separated from the tire. Any rough idea how much it would cost to repair it? Given that it's only about 1" long and at the very edge of the rim it may not be worth the repair depending on the cost...and, of course, based on how much it bothers me since I "know" it's there.
I can't answer that as I have never had to have a wheel repaired. Maybe one of the other members that have had it dome will chime in. If not Google wheel repair for your area and make a few calls. If they want to much, those wheels are a common item on the internet so also check out the prices just to replace the one wheel.

Last edited by BWF07; 04-22-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:40 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Those wheels are competition grey
Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The cost may vary from place to place and they probably also have a set price per wheel, assuming it's repairable.

My wife curbed the two wheels on the passenger side of her Caddy ATS and the cost was $140 per wheel. The damage was more extensive than what you described, but as I said ... it's probably just the fact that you're getting it repaired. Her wheels are painted with clear coat. As I recall, he said that chrome/aluminum would be $190.

It's not cheap, but I cannot tell at all that the wheels were ever damaged.

You can Google "wheel repair", or just call one of the higher end dealers in your town and see who they use. Sometimes they will come to your house to do the repair.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Doc_Ox
Heel & Toe

I had a chance to take photos of the wheel scuff last night. Like I mentioned in my original post, I don't think it's 'too bad', but of course 'I' know it's there. I've tried removing the black tarnished area as much as possible with wax/polishing compound and wheel cleaner, but most of it is still visible. In my opinion this is what catches the eye the most. Does anyone know the best method to remove this tarnish, leaving on the (scuffed) aluminum behind? If I'm still not satisfied with the results I'll look into getting it repaired per the prior recommendations above. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-up-paint.html

I think you might want light warm nickel, code WA 837K, available from several on line vendors. You might have to try a couple of different ones, though.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:25 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I had a chance to take photos of the wheel scuff last night. Like I mentioned in my original post, I don't think it's 'too bad', but of course 'I' know it's there. I've tried removing the black tarnished area as much as possible with wax/polishing compound and wheel cleaner, but most of it is still visible. In my opinion this is what catches the eye the most. Does anyone know the best method to remove this tarnish, leaving on the (scuffed) aluminum behind? If I'm still not satisfied with the results I'll look into getting it repaired per the prior recommendations above. Thanks.

That doesn't look that bad a scuff mark. I had worse on a wheel when I had the Polished Aluminum wheels as you have.
I just bought a used wheel from this forum, and all was good for $100.00 + $20.00 shipping.
I since replaced those with ZO6 Chrome wheels, and sold the 4 polished wheels locally shortly afterwards for $350.00.

Good luck with a touch up, or repair, or replacement.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Doc_Ox
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-up-paint.html

I think you might want light warm nickel, code WA 837K, available from several on line vendors. You might have to try a couple of different ones, though.
Thanks for the additional advice everyone. Regarding the quoted recommendation above...I found four possible touch-up colors for a 2008 Vette on paintscratch.com:

http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/select-color.cgi

-Light Warm Nickel Effect (837K)
-Ultra Silver Metallic (8867)
-Gray Metallic (9243)
-Bright Silver Sparkle Effect (9243)

Is the Light Warm Nickel Effect the best match for polished aluminum wheels?

Thanks again.
anchito27 (10-27-2021)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Thanks for the additional advice everyone. Regarding the quoted recommendation above...I found four possible touch-up colors for a 2008 Vette on paintscratch.com:

http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/select-color.cgi

-Light Warm Nickel Effect (837K)
-Ultra Silver Metallic (8867)
-Gray Metallic (9243)
-Bright Silver Sparkle Effect (9243)

Is the Light Warm Nickel Effect the best match for polished aluminum wheels?

Thanks again.
The light warm nickel was right for my PAINTED wheels. I do not have the polished aluminum wheels.
anchito27 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 03:13 AM
anchito27
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Color Identification

Where does one find the specific color for the rims? I looked on the little tag in the glove box that has everything else and I'm not seeing anything that resembles the codes mentioned above on there.

Last edited by anchito27; 10-27-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Wrote coffee instead of color
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 AM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Try Starbucks for coffee.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:30 PM
anchito27
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
Try Starbucks for coffee.
everybody's a keyboard comedian 🙄
Old 10-27-2021, 04:56 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Just post a picture of your wheel and people on here will help you.

and I was just having a little fun at your expense because of your typo. I see that you corrected your post.

don’t take us too seriously.
When you have been on here as long as some us, we have to keep ourselves entertained after reading the “which tire should I buy” threads all day long.
anchito27 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 06:08 PM
anchito27
Intermediate

I get it, just at the same time I want to touch up my rims while I have the car put away for the winter here in northern Utah and have no idea where to find the exact match for my rims and i don't want to put the wrong stuff on and then have to deal with that debacle.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Color Identification

Old 10-27-2021, 06:38 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

How bad are they?
Old 10-27-2021, 06:44 PM
anchito27
Intermediate

From what I've seen so far they're not too terrible. It's on the furthest edge out where they got curb kissed a little while I was first getting used to the car and got too close to the curb in the drive thru at the bank. Dumb mistakes like that, and I tend to be really good at them at times 😂
Old 10-27-2021, 06:46 PM
anchito27
Intermediate

I'll have to take a picture and put it up with my computer. My phone doesn't want to do it due to low memory even though it actually has more than half of the memory available.

Quick Reply: Wheel Color Identification