C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Play Name This Obscure Part

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Tydriver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's Play Name This Obscure Part

Hey Guys/Gals,

Been lurking here for a long time, and recently I bought my first C6. On Valentines Day I bought a 2005 C6 A4 (I wish the car had a 6 speed but I digress).

Before posting I wanted to let y'all know that I've searched high and low on the forum and google and I can not find out what this sensor/switch does. I can't find a description, nor can I read the GM part# that will help me figure out its function.

Anyhow the car isn't perfect and I'm trying to 'right' the 'wrongs' of the previous owner, and this weekend I had to tear into the center console and upon removal I noticed broken wires to the connector for the sensor (see attachment picture):-(

Apparently someone had been into this console before as there was evidence, and this got broken.

The sensor/switch and its wiring are located in the unused tombstone plastic cover that's near the bottom of the console cover (I do not have F55 suspension).

Any advice as to what it does/is is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Is there anything on the top side of the cover? Like a usb input?

AFAIK that is not stock.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:51 AM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow, almost twelve years with two posts? You have been lurking. Strong silent type, huh? I joined the forum almost a year after you did and I'm a small time poster with 1,908 posts.

Did you retain the dead creature that is over the P/N for dramatic effect or is it stuck to the part? A clear look at the P/N might help in the identification.

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

12 year corvette member and only 2 posts? Hell yea
Old 04-25-2016, 12:45 PM
dfinkw
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you haven't already, and have a bar code reader app on your smartphone/iPhone that checks product prices on the internet, you may get lucky having it identify the product.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:11 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Passenger airbag light.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Tydriver
Heel & Toe

Default No User Notes - Thread amd this post are okay

Originally Posted by wayback
Is there anything on the top side of the cover? Like a usb input?

AFAIK that is not stock.
Not to argue, but I'm pretty certain that this is a stock GM part. I don't think anything has been added to the car and there is an obliterated GM part# there I just can't read it.

In regards to your question about the top of the panel, this may be an indicator. The previous owner installed some cheesy carbon-fiber applique over the center console so I am betting if I remove that I will have more information. This just hit me at lunch today. I forgot about the top being covered, starting to think its a light or something.

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Wow, almost twelve years with two posts? You have been lurking. Strong silent type, huh? I joined the forum almost a year after you did and I'm a small time poster with 1,908 posts.

Did you retain the dead creature that is over the P/N for dramatic effect or is it stuck to the part? A clear look at the P/N might help in the identification.
Yea I'm a technical kinda guy, I didn't really have much to say because I haven't had a Corvette prior to Valentines Day, I've had other high performance rides, like a '92 GMC Typhoon, and various Silverados and BMWs so I'm no stranger to wrenching on cars, but I figured I'd keep my head down until I have a legitimate question/comment.

In relation to the actual part, the previous owner appeared to have spilled a drink of some sort down the inside of the center console, I'm guessing it was coffee, you can see the remnants of that on the underside of this panel.

Originally Posted by dfinkw
If you haven't already, and have a bar code reader app on your smartphone/iPhone that checks product prices on the internet, you may get lucky having it identify the product.
This is a great idea, I never thought of this and the barcode isn't obscured like the part number is. I'll try this and report back.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When you say "switch", I assume there must be a **** on the opposite side. Please post a pic of the ****.

Also check the sticker on the glovebox lid to see if F55 shows up there, since it's possible the previous owner converted to standard hydraulic shocks. Most conversions don't bother removing all the wiring on the sensors bolted to the suspension either.

The fact that one sticker on the tombstone is dated 12-07-04 and a second one dated 12-14-04 is an indication that a standard item was updated at the time of assembly. The number 4346 could well be due to the addition of the switch to make sure inventory matched orders. Because F55 was installed on 9041 C5's and December was the approximate middle date of the production run, the 4346 number would certainly make sense.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 04-25-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:31 PM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Passenger airbag light.
in 2005 the passenger airbag light was in the tombstone, starting in 2006 it moved up to the rear view mirror.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Tydriver
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mikey_T
in 2005 the passenger airbag light was in the tombstone, starting in 2006 it moved up to the rear view mirror.
Correct you are! It's a bit slow at work today and I drove the car in so I ran out in the parking lot and grabbed the tombstone. What I failed to do is remove the 'carbon fiber' overlay that was applied to the top of this or I would have seen this light when I was driving the car. I just removed this overlay/decal at my desk.

Apparently the previous owner was trying to hide some defects as there is also a cigarette burn near the light as well.

Anyhow, it's not all that important anyhow as I am going to replace the entire console trim with one from an '08+ one piece unit and this light would have been surplus anyhow...

Thanks for everyone's input on this, I do appreciate it.. I'll go back to lurking now..
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Mystery solved!!! Now post some pics of your ride!!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an '05 M6 with F55. Although I haven't had the console off in quite awhile, since this "thing" is located where the F55 switch would sit, I have to agree with the others who opine that it is the passenger airbag light.

There is a forum member who is a GM tech and if someone can remember his forum name, perhaps he can give a definitive answer.

HTH
Old 04-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Tydriver
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Mystery solved!!! Now post some pics of your ride!!
Oh it's nothing special... It's a bone stock 2005 DSOM A4 and it's a driver. I bought it to tinker/drive and familiarize myself with all things Corvette... At 6'5" tall I don't fit in a lot of cars and find them uncomfortable.. This car has been a pleasant surprise.

In a few years I'll get a Z06 that's what I want to keep.

Here's a couple of pics.
Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

That's a good-looking find you have there.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 AM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Without a doubt, the part is a Flux Compacitor.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You know we like pics...
Old 04-26-2016, 03:07 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
You know we like pics...
Of your Girlfriend.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 45gunner
Without a doubt, the part is a Flux Compacitor.
I was thinking a henway or a peterfor.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's Play Name This Obscure Part

Quick Reply: Let's Play Name This Obscure Part