C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Decision time

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:54 PM
ASarsano
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Decision time

Well been away from Vettes for almost 2 years now.
Traded out when I had a wreck in my Daily Driver Diesel Truck.

Well for the last year I’ve been driving a 2015 F-250 just rolled 25,000 miles and absolutely love it. Bought it brand new maintained it right from day one. Good confident feeling truck i drive quite a bit.

Well found out a few months ago the Misses is expecting. Will be number 3
so now the once beloved truck is more of a hey, I’m paying $XXX a month and were just getting by, might need me some more breathing room with a baby popping soon kind of thing now.
Been looking around at options to give me something I like and gaining a bit more financial breathing room.

Found a 2007 Z05 with 55,000 miles on it one owner. All said and down it would pay off the truck and have enough left over to lower my payments just about $250 a month.

It’s in good shape rides good, only thing I don’t like is it has a "LIP" kit and Lingfinger Rear bumper. All easy to see and replace with factory I’m sure.

Big debate will her 06 Altima with 90,000 mile be reliable enough to be the primary car to move the family and is it smart to give up a truck I owned form brand new for a used car. Then considering I’m currently stationed in TN where we do on occasion get some ice in the winter.

Boy I’ve missed being behind the wheel of a Vette always dreamed of owning a Z06. Tuff decision time! Well I would love any feedback on 07 Zs thing to look for etc. and maybe I’ll be making my return to the Vette world!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:53 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

That's a tough decision. You have a 2006 Altima with high mileage. Things can keep running or they can start giving you trouble. Most likely it will keep running trouble free. Nothing wrong with a truck as a family car as well.

If it were me, I'd pass on the Vette for now. A Vette is a luxury car and you may cost you more than the extra $250 a month that you have budgeted for.

The 2007 Z06 is a great car and doesn't need any mods too it. It's fast enough for me but rides stiffer then the GS. I bought a 2008 Z06 and it's been trouble free so far. The only thing I've had to do is repair three nails the tires picked up in the past 6 months. Good thing they were in the center where they were able to put a patch.
The following users liked this post:
ASarsano (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 PM
ASarsano
Racer

Thanks for the reply. Yeah im deff taking some time to figure out the best move lol the breathing room is deff a push towards the vette I'm living pay check to pay check with the truck payment lol and its a vette so of course theirs that pull lol.
Enjoy having a new low milage truck i know will last well for ever its Diesel lol but the payments are starting to strangle me moving family growing all in thew same few months lol
Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by ASarsano
Been looking around at options to give me something I like and gaining a bit more financial breathing room...Found a 2007 Z05 with 55,000 miles on it one owner. All said and down it would pay off the truck and have enough left over to lower my payments just about $250 a month...It’s in good shape rides good, only thing I don’t like is it has a "LIP" kit and Lingfinger Rear bumper. All easy to see and replace with factory I’m sure...Big debate will her 06 Altima with 90,000 mile be reliable enough to be the primary car to move the family and is it smart to give up a truck I owned form brand new for a used car. Then considering I’m currently stationed in TN where we do on occasion get some ice in the winter...Boy I’ve missed being behind the wheel of a Vette always dreamed of owning a Z06. Tuff decision time! Well I would love any feedback on 07 Zs thing to look for etc. and maybe I’ll be making my return to the Vette world!
JMHO but you asked, stay w/ knowns w/ this big life event pending.
Family comes first.
Truck's been/is reliable, rice grinder could last well into 6 digits, providing it's properly maintained.

Peruse Z06 forum, learn about the LS7, '06 thru '13 including 427 ed.
An '07 w/50K w/o heads rebuilt?
Would take anywhere between $18K - $25K (quoted me) to replace a LS7 should it frag, namely ingested valve(s).
Been know to happen, unfortunately & precisely why I've a GMEPP on my '08 w/ 49K. Would not own it w/o warranty OR having heads inspected and/or rebuilt.
While there're many LS7s running just fine, mine included, have to ask how lucky do you feel?

A part of financial room gained would be used to at least have heads professionally inspected pre-buy. $$
Post-buy many will advise having heads rebuilt, just to be sure. Kiss rest of any gain to tune of $3K+ goodbye.
*Less if you're a competent wrench, know your way around LS series ICs & specifically LS7 & can do labor.

Confucius said, "If all our wished were granted, many of our dreams would be destroyed."
Keep wishing, prepare for your new born, your time'll come & when it does there'll be no questions.
G/L with your decision.

Last edited by Landru; 04-28-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:14 PM
ASarsano
Racer

Originally Posted by Landru
JMHO but you asked, stay w/ knowns w/ this big life event pending.
Family comes first.
Truck's been/is reliable, rice grinder could last well into 6 digits, providing it's properly maintained.

Peruse Z06 forum, learn about the LS7, '06 thru '13 including 427 ed.
An '07 w/50K w/o heads rebuilt?
Would takes anywhere between $18K - $25K (quoted me) to replace a LS7 should it frag. Precisely why I've a GMEPP on my '08 w/ 49K. Would not own it w/o warranty OR having heads inspected and/or rebuilt.
Feeling lucky?

A part of financial room gained would be used to at least have heads professionally inspected pre-buy. $$
Post-buy many will advise having heads rebuilt, just to be sure. Another $3K.
Less if you're a competent wrench, know your way around LS series ICs & specifically LS7 & can handle the labor.

Confucius said, "If all our wished were granted, many of our dreams would be destroyed."
Keep wishing, prepare for your new born, your time'll come & when it does there'll be no questions. G/L with your decision.
thanks for the info im aware of the head issues; and im more then capable or the labor my self. I used to build racing Motors form LSXs ets, worked under a Master Tech for 4 years who was a corvette fanatic.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by ASarsano
thanks for the info im aware of the head issues; and im more then capable or the labor my self. I used to build racing Motors form LSXs ets, worked under a Master Tech for 4 years who was a corvette fanatic.
Glad you're aware of potential snags w/ an otherwise spectacular motor.
That you're a seasoned mechanic is sauce for the goose, any quote from here usually includes labor, around $1,500. YMMV

Just would HATE to see anyone fulfilling a dream only to see it not only crash but turn into a virtual nightmare. Could & will really stress the hell outa anyone already cutting it thin if this baby blows. IF being the operative word.

You said you were 'stationed in TN'.
Military?
Old 04-28-2016, 04:01 PM
ASarsano
Racer

Originally Posted by Landru
Glad you're aware of potential snags w/ an otherwise spectacular motor.
That you're a seasoned mechanic is sauce for the goose, any quote from here usually includes labor, around $1,500. YMMV

Just would HATE to see anyone fulfilling a dream only to see it not only crash but turn into a virtual nightmare. Could & will really stress the hell outa anyone already cutting it thin if this baby blows. IF being the operative word.

You said you were 'stationed in TN'.
Military?
ypu Army.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

jmho...06 Altima with 90k is on borrowed time...Z06 can wait...ditch the 250 for another practical car for the wife and new addition to use...You daily the Altima until it dies....Again just my 2 cents...Good luck with the new addition
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

At this point I think you need a newer family car, you can always look for a used Chevy SS and have yourself a 4door Vette and good family car too Use the Alitima as your DD
Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

90k is high mileage now?

You only live once. Get the Z06. You will be hooked once you drive it. Also, sell me the skirts & splitter.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:02 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ATC399
jmho...06 Altima with 90k is on borrowed time...Z06 can wait...ditch the 250 for another practical car for the wife and new addition to use...You daily the Altima until it dies....Again just my 2 cents...Good luck with the new addition
This is the only answer that makes sense.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:10 AM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
This is the only answer that makes sense.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Raise your family first!!

A smart family man does not go out and buy a Corvette upon learning his wife is pregnant.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

With only two vehicles & a baby on the way, I wouldn't take the risk of having one of them being a two seater. What if something happens to the Altima? I'd either keep the truck or trade it in for a 'family' suitable vehicle that better fits your budget ... just my .02.

Best of luck to you & your family, thank you for your service

Last edited by Welker1; 04-29-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Raise your family first!!

A smart family man does not go out and buy a Corvette upon learning his wife is pregnant.

Don-Vette is exactly right. You are being selfish. Your family comes first and a vette is a toy. Sounds like you need a reliable family car and not a vette. Don't be crazy....take care of your family first

Good Luck
Old 04-29-2016, 09:35 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You're just getting by living paycheck by paycheck...your wife is expecting baby number 3 and your family car is a 06 Altima with 90k miles. I think getting a C6Z is the best decision you can make right now...go for it.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:44 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

C'mon . . . really ?? Sell or trade the truck for a bigger safer family vehicle, something like our Mazda CX-9 . . . comfortable, AWD, reliable, 3 rows of folding seats, and very reasonably priced as a used car. Then put your wife and kids in that vehicle and take the Altima for yourself. Eventually you can upgrade that to a sportier sedan or coupe with seats for 5. Forget a Vette or any two seater for the next several years. Do the right thing for your family. Good luck.

Last edited by csf; 04-29-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Decision time

Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Trade truck for a brand new Honda civic and give that to the wife. You drive the altima, and repair as needed to keep on road. Financially the best decision, although I know you won't take the advice.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Damn, get your priorities in check. If you're pay-check to pay-check on a truck before 3 kids just think about how much under water you'd be in when #3 pops out, life isn't going to get any cheaper. Insurance on a Z isn't cheap either, especially if you have a loan out on the car. Unbelievable.
Thanks for your service.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Put the extra money every month away for a college fund...be practical.

Quick Reply: Z06 Decision time