C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your C6 this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:17 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Great looking job on the console. I need some details. Where did you buy the wrap and what type was it. How many people were involved in the wrap process. Did you have to use adhesive anywhere. What did you use to heat up the wrap to make it fit correctly. (Hair dryer, or heat gun.
I tried to wrap a spare console, and I couldn't get it to look right.
Lots of great questions. So here goes...
  • I bought the wrap material on Ebay. It is 7D Gloss Vinyl Wrap.
  • I did all the work myself.
  • I applied 3M Primer 94 on the edges of the console, where the wrap folds under and around the back of the console. The left side of the console is a separate peace of vinyl with knifeless tape applied along the edge in order to get a clean vinyl cut without using a razor knife. The face and right side is covered with a single piece of vinyl that was heated in order to get the vinyl to take the contours of the console.
  • I used a heat gun to soften the vinyl. I feel that heat guns are more effective. I use heat only where I needed to form the vinyl around the compound curved surfaces. The flat face of the console does not need much heat, if at all. I started where the console bends and worked out from there.
  • Took all the AC vents, traction control button, hazard flasher button, and cup holders. With all those things out of the way, the job was a bit easier.
The wrap is not perfect. It's about 95%. I will redo it over the winter and hopefully, get it 100%.
The following users liked this post:
TiltVert (11-03-2020)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dsword
I fixed the infamous seat sag issue. It was bad after only 16,000 miles. I think previous owner did not enter and exit correctly. The lower seat side bolster was smashed...

I added foam support and covered some of it with some heavy duty jute. Also covered that sharp edge on the seat frame with some 200 mph gray duct tape.

Are there side air bangs on C6 Vettes? What did you do to prevent the side air bangs from going off while fixing the seat issues. I think I may want to try this on the seats of my 06 Bae Coupe.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Finally got the car back together after sound deadening, head unit upgrade w speakers, amp and dual cameras. Just need to add the subwoofer and will be all set.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Lots of great questions. So here goes...
  • I bought the wrap material on Ebay. It is 7D Gloss Vinyl Wrap.
  • I did all the work myself.
  • I applied 3M Primer 94 on the edges of the console, where the wrap folds under and around the back of the console. The left side of the console is a separate peace of vinyl with knifeless tape applied along the edge in order to get a clean vinyl cut without using a razor knife. The face and right side is covered with a single piece of vinyl that was heated in order to get the vinyl to take the contours of the console.
  • I used a heat gun to soften the vinyl. I feel that heat guns are more effective. I use heat only where I needed to form the vinyl around the compound curved surfaces. The flat face of the console does not need much heat, if at all. I started where the console bends and worked out from there.
  • Took all the AC vents, traction control button, hazard flasher button, and cup holders. With all those things out of the way, the job was a bit easier.
The wrap is not perfect. It's about 95%. I will redo it over the winter and hopefully, get it 100%.
Thanks so much for the reply. I love the vinyl, so that is a great start. With your info, I will give this another try.
The last question (for now ) is how much vinyl did you order to assure you had enough material?
If you don't mind, I may reach out to you by PM if I need some additional info.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,798 Likes on 4,233 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Are there side air bangs on C6 Vettes? What did you do to prevent the side air bangs from going off while fixing the seat issues. I think I may want to try this on the seats of my 06 Bae Coupe.
Yes, just disconnect the battery prior to unplugging & removing the seats. I’ve had my seats in & out multiple times without any issues.
gpruitt54 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:47 AM
zzrider
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My weekend project: replaced the stock stereo head with a new Kenwood DDX9705S. Kept the stock Bose speakers.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:01 AM
rrmdeuce
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

powder coated the stock wheels gloss black, over 60
JABCAT (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:57 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by zzrider
My weekend project: replaced the stock stereo head with a new Kenwood DDX9705S. Kept the stock Bose speakers.
Looks good, you should look into doing the steering wheel swap so you have the audio controls, I did it on my 05 and very happy I did. It's pretty easy to do, here's the instructions I used.

Last edited by madsonp; 04-21-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Thanks so much for the reply. I love the vinyl, so that is a great start. With your info, I will give this another try.
The last question (for now ) is how much vinyl did you order to assure you had enough material?
If you don't mind, I may reach out to you by PM if I need some additional info.

Thanks,
Paul
I bought a crap load more than I needed for the console. The plan is to wrap a spoiler and halo (B Pillar). The vinyl comes in 5 foot by various lengths. Buy a 5 foot by 3 foot roll. Be sure to leave lots of material around the edges. You will need it to manipulate the material while stretching the vinyl where needed. Get some 3M Primer 94 sticks as well.

Good luck. Here are other photos showing the wrap being applied to the console. These may help.

Here is where I screwed up. I did not leave enough material along the edge.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Thanks for all your info. I'll give it another shot.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Removed my door handles & painted the door pads body-color

I love the look of the door without the pad extending around the handle area. But, where did you find the modified shroud for the door opener touch pad?????
Old 04-22-2019, 02:51 PM
centennialGS
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadLT123
Dude, I want those wheels, were did you get them from!?!?
PK AUTO DESIGN. They are a forum vendor. Dealt with Paul.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 45gunner
Took my 94 year old mother for a ride of her lifetime. She loves my Corvette. No problem for her getting in but took a little bit of time for her to get out. Now getting ready to take her to dinner but in the Lexus this time.
You're a lucky man! My mom loved sports cars,
Old 04-24-2019, 12:31 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

I did it! Just right now.

My passenger door works now.

My wallet isnt happy though f#$%!

Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by ttx350z
Not much. UPS decided to only deliver 1 rear tire.

I'm by the end of this year to buying to tires. What tires are those?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

DIY new head unit installation and CF wrapped the center console:

You just gave me the perfect project to do! How did you do the steering wheels trim parts? Do they just come off?

My center console has a cbroken crack on it right above the cup holder. Superficial to see... I dont think it's a problem though.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:51 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jaime-Corvette
You just gave me the perfect project to do! How did you do the steering wheels trim parts? Do they just come off?

My center console has a cbroken crack on it right above the cup holder. Superficial to see... I dont think it's a problem though.
I actually installed the CF wrap on the steering wheel spokes without removing anything. I cut a section of CF and attached it after cleaning the surface. Used a heat gun and a squeegee to get the CF firmly in place with no air bubbles. After that I used a vinyl wrap knife to carefully trim as needed, turning the wheel to access the area as needed. Finally, I used the heat gun to finish the edges. I can peel off the CF at any time, if needed. However, because I used a heat gun to attach the CF on an ultra clean surface, the CF is pretty firmly attached.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by gpruitt54; 04-24-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What did you do to your C6 this weekend?

Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

I actually installed the CF wrap on the steering wheel spokes without removing anything. I cut a section of CF and attached it after cleaning the surface. Used a heat gun and a squeegee to get the CF firmly in place with no air bubbles. After that I used a vinyl wrap knife to carefully trim as needed, turning the wheel to access the area as needed. Finally, I used the heat gun to finish the edges. I can peel off the CF at any time, if needed. However, because I used a heat gun to attach the CF on an ultra clean surface, the CF is pretty firmly attached.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for that! Good thing I dont have to do my center console since it is already carbon fiber stock but the rest for sure for finishing touches
gpruitt54 (04-24-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 12:40 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Drove it the 160 mile round trip to Vegas to pick up our youngest granddaughter for the weekend. Was a great cruise with good weather until I got home, about 10 miles or so out I could see the black clouds starting to move in over our town. No kidding, it started raining within seconds of me pulling into the garage
Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I had a set of new custom valved JRi Double Adjustable shocks installed on my 13 manual tranny Grand Sport, and a go-fast Mike Maier, Inc. autocross alignment done with the ride heighth lowered and corner weighed, and I drove the car to Arizona to it's new home.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C6 this weekend?