C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grandpsort rear tire adventure

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Corvettelove
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Grandpsort rear tire adventure

Just thought I would share my recent tire adventure on my car.

So I ordered a set of rear tires for my car and after many attempts to find a dealer to mount them I finally found one so I thought. Called the tire shop and told them what I needed. They said they could do it to bring the car down. $20 bucks a tire. So I headed down to the shop ( 30 minutes away ). Get there and talk to the salesman and he ask what size they are. so I tell him 325/30/19. He ask for my keys and I proceed to ask if I can drive it in the shop. He agrees and even tells me I can stay in the shop and watch the guy mount the tires. I thought great, then he comes back out and tells me there is a problem. He proceeds to tell me that they can mount the new tires but they cant get them to seal to the rim cause of the width. He said that the local car dealership can blow the tires up but it will cost me. So he calls them and they tell him it will be $93 a hour and could take 2 hours to do them. ( $200 bucks for air ).

So I would have to leave my car on the lift at the tire store, take the tires to the dealership ( 5 minutes away ) pay them $200 bucks and then bring the tires back and pay the tire shop $40 bucks to mount and balance them. $240.00 for 2 tires to be put on WOW.

In the end I get on the phone and find the nearest tirerack.com dealer. Its a hour away in another state so I call them and they say they can do it for $50. I make the drive over and they do the whole ordeal in less than a hour with no problems. Let me stand and watch the whole thing and charge me $50 bucks for the tires and $50 for labor so it came to $114.

Just thought Id share my experience.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've never heard of this procedure. Seems like any compressor that has the proper compression should handle it.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:04 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I need a bit of clarification...in the end you said $50 for the tires and $50 for labor....what does that mean? You already had the tires..right?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Corvettelove
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

$50 to mount and balance the 2 tires
Old 05-19-2016, 01:13 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I can't believe tire shops exist out there, where they can't mount these bigass rear tires...its 2016!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 868 Likes on 372 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Originally Posted by LFZ
I can't believe tire shops exist out there, where they can't mount these bigass rear tires...its 2016!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettelove
$50 to mount and balance the 2 tires
But you said $114...I don't understand.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:46 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Dont go back to that place again. Idiots.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Had a similar experience with what I thought was one of the high-end, i.e., professional tire shops in the local area. Had several discussions with them about what tires I wanted, about the OEM GY runflats that were on the car, and that I wanted the tires balanced using a RoadForce machine. All during the discussions I was assured they had performed many of these mounts and all was wonderful.

Day of the appointment, I took the car in and headed home. Soon, they called me to tell me that their "old worn out changer" wouldn't generate sufficient torque to get the RFs off the rim and could they drive it over to one of their other locations that had a newer, more powerful changer. No problem. But when I picked the car at the other location, I was informed that they hadn't been told by the original shop to do the RoadForce balance. Of course, I ended up having to take the car back to them, demount the wheels and rebalance the new tires because of a shimmy. Honestly, I think that the level of quality in the service industry--especially where having a modicum of skilled labor and experience comes into play--is almost non-existent these days.
The following 2 users liked this post by icntdrv55:
art staggs (05-19-2016), Landru (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 02:35 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ

You do realize that the tire machine just to mount the wide rims/tires cost $15000 - $25000 and the balancers are $5000-$15000 depending if they can do road force.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Believe it!! West Bend, WI.
Went thru' hell & high water locating 4 new skins for the Z last Spring.
No one was having any luck getting Bridgestone PPs I wanted, one place who could wanted $350+ vs last, this would've been my 3rd set.
Decided to check a place I was driving by: NTB.
Easy to deal with, great price (best, ever) & they said they'd overnight 'em from their Chicago warehouse next day. Great. Sold!
Had to scramble schedule to get there in a busy week.
Got there, they took the car & few minutes later tell me their old machine just won't open wide enough to do RFs. A tire store.
I walked, they sent tires back to Chitown.

Ended up going to a Chevy store, paid dearly for the Michelins they COULD get...and install. 2016? Bah.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
You do realize that the tire machine just to mount the wide rims/tires cost $15000 - $25000 and the balancers are $5000-$15000 depending if they can do road force.
Can't speak to balancers, but you're correct, these new RF machines cost a bundle. Figure quoted me by the owner of the Chevy store I use was what you said.

Still, *I* would think a business servicing customer tire/wheel needs had better cough-up the loot or be left behind.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:00 PM
ScubachefVette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cheaper isnt always better

Originally Posted by Corvettelove
Just thought I would share my recent tire adventure on my car.

So I ordered a set of rear tires for my car and after many attempts to find a dealer to mount them I finally found one so I thought. Called the tire shop and told them what I needed. They said they could do it to bring the car down. $20 bucks a tire. So I headed down to the shop ( 30 minutes away ). Get there and talk to the salesman and he ask what size they are. so I tell him 325/30/19. He ask for my keys and I proceed to ask if I can drive it in the shop. He agrees and even tells me I can stay in the shop and watch the guy mount the tires. I thought great, then he comes back out and tells me there is a problem. He proceeds to tell me that they can mount the new tires but they cant get them to seal to the rim cause of the width. He said that the local car dealership can blow the tires up but it will cost me. So he calls them and they tell him it will be $93 a hour and could take 2 hours to do them. ( $200 bucks for air ).

So I would have to leave my car on the lift at the tire store, take the tires to the dealership ( 5 minutes away ) pay them $200 bucks and then bring the tires back and pay the tire shop $40 bucks to mount and balance them. $240.00 for 2 tires to be put on WOW.

In the end I get on the phone and find the nearest tirerack.com dealer. Its a hour away in another state so I call them and they say they can do it for $50. I make the drive over and they do the whole ordeal in less than a hour with no problems. Let me stand and watch the whole thing and charge me $50 bucks for the tires and $50 for labor so it came to $114.

Just thought Id share my experience.
FWIW I am guilty to a fault, trying to save money by cutting out the middlemans profit by using internet products and another vendor to install. But i have learned in my 51 years a couple things:
1)nobody works for free
2) some vendors are better than other;s and knowing which is which is sometimes hard to figure out till its too late
3) by saving money up front you dont always come out ahead
4) Cheaper isnt always better. Sometimes its better to pay a bit more to the guy up front by giving him the sale, then letting him just do the work.That way he stands behind the product and the work and treats you right when you come back with if you have an issue. He is responsible for the whole job. Product and service.

Once you start factoring your research time, online ordering , shipping, aggravation factor and all incurred expenses, you often end up near the same price w/o all the headaches. Just sayin'
Old 05-19-2016, 05:36 PM
terrywerst
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubachefVette
FWIW I am guilty to a fault, trying to save money by cutting out the middlemans profit by using internet products and another vendor to install. But i have learned in my 51 years a couple things:
1)nobody works for free
2) some vendors are better than other;s and knowing which is which is sometimes hard to figure out till its too late
3) by saving money up front you dont always come out ahead
4) Cheaper isnt always better. Sometimes its better to pay a bit more to the guy up front by giving him the sale, then letting him just do the work.That way he stands behind the product and the work and treats you right when you come back with if you have an issue. He is responsible for the whole job. Product and service.

Once you start factoring your research time, online ordering , shipping, aggravation factor and all incurred expenses, you often end up near the same price w/o all the headaches. :
100%. It never pays to be that cheap.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Hence the reason I go to Discount Tire, so far no problems and they stand behind their work
NSF
Old 05-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Hence the reason I go to Discount Tire, so far no problems and they stand behind their work
NSF
Me too ............

Dave
Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,956 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I take my Grand Sport to the local tire guy and he gets me the B-stone's and mounts them and it cost me about 60 bucks more than the tires alone do on Tire Rack......no complaints here.......but 200 bucks to put air in the tires? What's that about?

Get notified of new replies

To Grandpsort rear tire adventure

Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 PM
beersngars
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
NSF

I will use them again when my F150 needs skins.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:31 PM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Discount Tire to mount my 345/30/19's and even get to stand over their shoulder and watch. The only issue I've had is where they were about to try and put my car on one of the floor lifts that you drive over. I told them no and we just use a jack under the cradle.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:50 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

This is one reason (I keep telling my wife) why I have a pickup truck and lift. For years I have removed my tires and taken them to the shop for mounting an balancing. I will admit though that I looked for a year for a shop I felt was qualified to change the tires on my GS. In the end the shop I found did not have a machine specifically made for run flat tires but they did have a highly qualified and expert tire technician.

Quick Reply: Grandpsort rear tire adventure