C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS sensor did not register

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:44 PM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TPMS sensor did not register

My right rear TPMS sensor went south. I ordered a new sensor from GMPARTSHOUSE (part # 20925925 TPMS SENSOR, RIGHT).

I used the ATEQ VT5 trigger tool to register the new sensor, but it failed to register while other 3 sensors registered fine.

What gives?

The new sensor is the left one (blue casing), old sensor is the right one.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:16 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

AC Delco part # 25758220 fits all 2005-2009 Corvettes. The 2005-2009 sensor won't work in a 2010+, and the 2010+ sensor won't work in the 2005-2009 Vettes. I'm not sure if the part # that you got is for 2010-2013 or not.
I believe that the Z06 and ZR1 take a different sensor that a base or GS model.

What is the year and model of your corvette?
You can contact Gene Cully at Cultrag Performance and he can tell you what sensor fits your car.

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-23-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I think I remember that export models use a different sensor. I know that's true for the C7, but can't confirm for the C6.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:40 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

First, I am not understanding why the sensor description says RIGHT because the four sensors for the car are all the same, there is no left and right designation. The catalogs usually list which TPMS system the sensors are designed to work with. On the options label in the glovebox door is listed which system the car has...it is the code starting with "U"...for example "UJ9". If you check that sensor with your Ateq and get a response from it, (separate from programming to the car) but the car will not register it, then it is not the correct part. If you get no response from the sensor on the Ateq, then its' battery is dead. Get that "U" code from your label and check the sensor part number against it. Even on Amazon, they designate them with this code.

For example, this is the one for my '07 Vert...notice in the title that they have the code (UJ9) in parentheses:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25758220-Original-Equipment-Pressure/dp/B0010GHTDE/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Corvette|440&Year=2007|2007&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25758220-Original-Equipment-Pressure/dp/B0010GHTDE/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Corvette|440&Year=2007|2007&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Last edited by cclive; 04-23-2016 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-27-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 05:09 AM
chsia
Instructor

Well, things are more complicated than I thought. I did order the wrong sensor. The one I ordered part #20925925 was for the Euro. Part # 20925924 is for the US cars.

But sensor may not be the problem. I moved the right rear tire (which could not register and showed XXX) to the left rear, and the original left rear tire (which was good) to the right rear, the tried to register them. I got the following. Maybe the TPMS signal receiver is bad. Does anyone know where is the signal received?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:38 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Moving them around the car has no effect whatsoever. The wheels could literally be sitting in a stack on the floor next to the car and still be read by the TPMS system. If the car will accept the other three but not this one, then the sensor is wrong or dead...simple.

The reason that the sensors are programmed starting at drivers front and going clockwise is that the car is expecting them in that order. The result of moving them as you said is completely expected. But understand that you could take off all four and lay them flat on the ground and still program them to the car (if the sensors are working properly.)

I would still ask if you are getting a response from that questionable sensor on your ATEQ?

Last edited by cclive; 04-24-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thank you for the referral. The customer was sold the incorrect part from the previous place he purchased. He purchased the correct part from us today and all is well.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 AM
FlipRay
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So did he get 3 correct sensor and 1 wrong sensor? If he got the same sensors all around, and only 1 wont register, wouldn't that kinda point to a dead sensor? Battery could just be dead on that sensor.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipRay
So did he get 3 correct sensor and 1 wrong sensor?
Read Gene's post above, wrong sensor.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 AM
chsia
Instructor

Update - I purchased the correct sensor from Gene at CULTRAG - thanks for the speedy response. I live in Taiwan so it took about 10 days to get here. Well, out of luck, I put the new sensor in the right rear tire, left-front and right-front registered fine, but the right rear still would not register.

Now I am looking for the TPMS signal receiver. I read somewhere the receiver is above the left rear tire, but could not find it. Does anybody know where the receiver is?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by chsia
Update - I purchased the correct sensor from Gene at CULTRAG - thanks for the speedy response. I live in Taiwan so it took about 10 days to get here. Well, out of luck, I put the new sensor in the right rear tire, left-front and right-front registered fine, but the right rear still would not register.

Now I am looking for the TPMS signal receiver. I read somewhere the receiver is above the left rear tire, but could not find it. Does anybody know where the receiver is?

^^ The pic that is posted is for the XM radio module.
The TPMS signals are received from the RCDLR (Remote Control Door lock Receiver).
This receiver is found above the air vents of the radio surround center console.

I have attached a PDF file of part of the Service manual 2005-2007, for the procedure to learn the TPM sensor
I would think that 2008-2013 would be the same.

Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 05-05-2016, 12:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

A couple of points:

1. You do not need to go ahead and put a sensor into a tire in order to check if it works, both with your TPMS trigger machine and with the car itself. You could have all four sensors sitting on a table next to the car and program them to the car. With my second set of tires, I can have them sitting in the corner of the garage in a stack and the car will read them just fine. The car does not know whether they are actually on the car or not. If they are within range of the car, they will be read. This has been an issue with people who put on a new set of wheels and tires and leave the old ones near the car in the garage. They think that the car has magically learned the new sensors when in reality the car is still reading the ones stacked up in the corner.

2. The module is properly shown in LV2TOUR's post at the front of the console. It is highly unlikely that the RCDLR would receive the first two sensors just fine and then not receive the third one in the sequence if that third one is the proper sensor. If it receives any proper sensor, then it should receive all four proper sensors. To check this, you need to get creative before just buying a new RCDLR module. Here's how: Get the car into program mode, then start with the normal left front sensor. Then go to the one that would normally be number four( left rear). Then go to the one that would normally be second(right front). This will actually be the third one for the module to learn. If the module will not learn this one, then it is the RCDLR that is faulty. This is known because the RCDLR learned this particular sensor when it was the second one in line but it will not learn it now that it is the third one in line. I still think that it is highly unlikely that the RCDLR would learn whatever sensor is first and second but not third, if all three are the correct ones. I hope this makes sense...let me know if you need more clarification.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cclive
A couple of points:

1. You do not need to go ahead and put a sensor into a tire in order to check if it works, both with your TPMS trigger machine and with the car itself. You could have all four sensors sitting on a table next to the car and program them to the car. With my second set of tires, I can have them sitting in the corner of the garage in a stack and the car will read them just fine. The car does not know whether they are actually on the car or not. If they are within range of the car, they will be read. This has been an issue with people who put on a new set of wheels and tires and leave the old ones near the car in the garage. They think that the car has magically learned the new sensors when in reality the car is still reading the ones stacked up in the corner.

2. The module is properly shown in LV2TOUR's post at the front of the console. It is highly unlikely that the RCDLR would receive the first two sensors just fine and then not receive the third one in the sequence if that third one is the proper sensor. If it receives any proper sensor, then it should receive all four proper sensors. To check this, you need to get creative before just buying a new RCDLR module. Here's how: Get the car into program mode, then start with the normal left front sensor. Then go to the one that would normally be number four( left rear). Then go to the one that would normally be second(right front). This will actually be the third one for the module to learn. If the module will not learn this one, then it is the RCDLR that is faulty. This is known because the RCDLR learned this particular sensor when it was the second one in line but it will not learn it now that it is the third one in line. I still think that it is highly unlikely that the RCDLR would learn whatever sensor is first and second but not third, if all three are the correct ones. I hope this makes sense...let me know if you need more clarification.

Any sequence where all of the three working sensors is accomplished will verify the third one in the RCDLR sequence is not the problem. If the fourth one is the new one and doesn't work in any sequence tried, you still don't have a good sensor. The quick check would be to try the new sensor as the #1 on the sequence. It's then a go or no go.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:19 PM
chsia
Instructor

I did the following as HOXXOH and CCLIVE suggested (RR is the bad one):

1. Start the Program Mode
2. Go straight to RR - no horn
3. LR - no horn (used to get horn from this one)
4. LF - horn
5. RF - horn

1. Start the Program Mode
2. LF - horn
3. RF - horn
4. LR - no horn (used to get horn from this one)
5. RR - no horn

Getting weider

I got this new one from Gene, has same identical ID as the original one:

Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 PM
cclive
Team Owner

OK, so now the thing to do is temporarily forget the program mode in the car. With the TPMS tool, you can scan each sensor to see if you get a response from them. Do this.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 PM
chsia
Instructor

My ATEP VT5 does not show receiving signal, just shows xmitting.

I have a custom audio system installed in the trunk, I will disconnect the system to see if it is interfering with the TPMS signals. Stay tuned.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:28 AM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I am having a similar problem and was going to start a thread. I bought 4 new sensors (25758220), my cubb tool will only activate 2 of them. Contacted the seller and he sent me 2 more and those will not read either. They are new Schrader units but they have a circular stamp which points at 8, so that tells me they were made in 2008? The seller thought they should be mounted and run for so many miles before they turn on. I haven't heard of that and my Cubb tool works on 2 of them so they must be no good?

Last edited by corvettecolin; 05-06-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

One thought is that all these TPMS tools are sensitive to having low batteries in them. Make sure your unit is fully charged or has new batteries in it.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:24 AM
chsia
Instructor

Default Update

Took the audio amps offline and wiring in tin foil, still could not read the right-rear sensor.

Then switched RR sensor with LR, the re-learn process finally completed (two horn sounds) but had to place the VT5 at the bottom of the tire to get it registered.

Now all 4 sensors reading correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS sensor did not register

Quick Reply: TPMS sensor did not register