C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMEPP Waiting Period

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GMEPP Waiting Period

My GMPP extended warranty on my 2007 was about to expire, so I just purchased a new extended warranty from GMEPP (Platinum). When I received the contract, the GMEPP warranty has a mandatory waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles. Unfortunately, I don't drive my C6 enough, and it only has 11,500 miles. With my short commute, and no travel plans, it could take me a long time to drive 1,000 unnecessary miles to activate the new warranty. I called GMEPP this morning and asked them if it made any difference that I was still under the GMPP extended warranty? I understand they may be trying to avoid some type of fraud, and I explained that if I needed service I would have used my current GMPP warranty. They said no. Their only suggestion was to cancel the GMEPP warranty to avoid the waiting period, and contact the dealer to see if they could suggest a different warranty company. I thought I would post just in case anybody else may be in the same situation when shopping for extended warranties.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm not sure why they can't just make an exception. I understand the policy, its made to prevent fraud from those with issues who buy the warranty because its cheaper. But for people like you who garage and barely drive their cars it does not make any sense.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I'm at a loss.
Just bought a GMEPP from Pat & asked about any waiting period, as required by some outfits. Pat said my GMEPP was active moment we consummated our deal, immediately. No interference w/ the GMPP valid 'til 08/16, either.

Pat was offering a discount, why I bought w/ several months GMPP coverage remaining. So few months it didn't seem worth it to cash-in.
But IIRC there's contract verbage stating IF there's dual coverage only one outfit pays, presumably oldest/first policy.

Otherwise, I don't get the bind.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
I'm at a loss.
Just bought a GMEPP from Pat & asked about any waiting period, as required by some outfits. Pat said my GMEPP was active moment we consummated our deal, immediately. No interference w/ the GMPP valid 'til 08/16, either.

Pat was offering a discount, why I bought w/ several months GMPP coverage remaining. So few months it didn't seem worth it to cash-in.
But IIRC there's contract verbage stating IF there's dual coverage only one outfit pays, presumably oldest/first policy.

Otherwise, I don't get the bind.

Did you read the contract/policy? We have some great forum vendors here, but the contract always takes precedence over what they say. Here is what MY GMEPP (Chevy protection plan) policy says (bolding mine). I would be curious if yours says something different:
----------------------------------------
PLATINUM AND SILVER COVERAGE PLANS
If the Contract Registration Page reflects the purchase of Platinum or Silver, Coverage under this Contract begins on the Contract Purchase Date unless the Contract Purchase Date is more than 10 days after the Vehicle Purchase Date, then a MANDATORY “WAITING PERIOD” will apply before Coverage begins as explained below. This Contract will expire according to the Term Months and/or Miles, whichever occurs first, as shown on the Registration Page, and/or when the Limits of Liability for the Contract have been reached.
• Expiration is measured in time from the Contract Purchase Date and expiration mileage is derived by adding Miles of Coverage as shown on the Registration Page to the Odometer Mileage at Contract Purchase Date. Maximum expiration mileage is 150,000 Odometer Miles.
THIS CONTRACT IS NOT VALID UNLESS A
COMPLETED REGISTRATION PAGE IS ATTACHED.
2 52GEP0515
The “WAITING PERIOD” is 30 days and 1,000 miles from the Contract Purchase Date. However, an additional 30 days and 1,000 miles will be added to Your Contract’s scheduled expiration. Therefore the Waiting Period will not reduce the actual time/mileage during which You have Coverage. Coverage will commence the day following the Waiting Period. Claims incurred during the Waiting Period are not covered.

----------------------------------
To the OP, I'm in the same boat and didn't realize it until after I purchased and read the contact. I also did a few months overlap with my GMPP due to a sale and was hoping that would help me avoid any issues, but I'm currently "out" of warranty for another 700 miles or so. Hopefully if anything breaks on the car, it is still driveable for a while...

Last edited by z28lt1; 05-31-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It doesn't matter what any salesman says about it, the only thing that matters is what the contract says...simple.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:17 PM
RustyFox
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
My GMPP extended warranty on my 2007 was about to expire, so I just purchased a new extended warranty from GMEPP (Platinum). When I received the contract, the GMEPP warranty has a mandatory waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles. Unfortunately, I don't drive my C6 enough, and it only has 11,500 miles. With my short commute, and no travel plans, it could take me a long time to drive 1,000 unnecessary miles to activate the new warranty. I called GMEPP this morning and asked them if it made any difference that I was still under the GMPP extended warranty? I understand they may be trying to avoid some type of fraud, and I explained that if I needed service I would have used my current GMPP warranty. They said no. Their only suggestion was to cancel the GMEPP warranty to avoid the waiting period, and contact the dealer to see if they could suggest a different warranty company. I thought I would post just in case anybody else may be in the same situation when shopping for extended warranties.
You should not have to wait until you put the 1,000 miles on that warranty. It's 30 days/1,000 miles, whichever occurs first. After 30 days, even if you put 0 miles on the car, the warranty is then in effect.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyFox
You should not have to wait until you put the 1,000 miles on that warranty. It's 30 days/1,000 miles, whichever occurs first. After 30 days, even if you put 0 miles on the car, the warranty is then in effect.
It clearly says "AND"!
The following users liked this post:
Cauhauna (06-01-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

The way I read it, the waiting period is 30 days and 1,000 miles. This is completely normal since normal average mileage is 12,000 per year or 1,000 miles per month. The purpose is to avoid someone buying the warranty after a huge problem has happened. The car has to be driveable for 1,000 miles, which negates the issue.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:45 PM
RustyFox
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
The way I read it, the waiting period is 30 days and 1,000 miles. This is completely normal since normal average mileage is 12,000 per year or 1,000 miles per month. The purpose is to avoid someone buying the warranty after a huge problem has happened. The car has to be driveable for 1,000 miles, which negates the issue.
All the warranties I've sold and dealt with are always time and mileage, but state whichever occurs first. Your factory warranty is 5 years and 100,000 miles, but not both. It ends when one of the 2 conditions is met. Without the contract being posted it's hard to say, but I've never encountered one where both conditions have to be met.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

But the factory warranty limits apply to a warranty that is ending, whereas this applies to one beginning. I'm just going by the warranty text that Z28 posted above...I haven't seen an actual contract.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
----------------------------------------
PLATINUM AND SILVER COVERAGE PLANS
If the Contract Registration Page reflects the purchase of Platinum or Silver, Coverage under this Contract begins on the Contract Purchase Date unless the Contract Purchase Date is more than 10 days after the Vehicle Purchase Date, then a MANDATORY “WAITING PERIOD” will apply before Coverage begins as explained below. [/B]This Contract will expire according to the Term Months and/or Miles, whichever occurs first, as shown on the Registration Page, and/or when the Limits of Liability for the Contract have been reached.
• Expiration is measured in time from the Contract Purchase Date and expiration mileage is derived by adding Miles of Coverage as shown on the Registration Page to the Odometer Mileage at Contract Purchase Date. Maximum expiration mileage is 150,000 Odometer Miles.
THIS CONTRACT IS NOT VALID UNLESS A
COMPLETED REGISTRATION PAGE IS ATTACHED.
2 52GEP0515
The “WAITING PERIOD” is 30 days and 1,000 miles from the Contract Purchase Date. However, an additional 30 days and 1,000 miles will be added to Your Contract’s scheduled expiration. Therefore the Waiting Period will not reduce the actual time/mileage during which You have Coverage. Coverage will commence the day following the Waiting Period. Claims incurred during the Waiting Period are not covered.
What Z28lt1 posted above is exactly the same wording that was included in my April 2016 GMEPP contract from Patrick Ryan. Purchased the GMEPP extended warranty less than 10 days from when I purchased the car and had no waiting period, i.e., EW started immediately. Also had about 5 months remaining on the original 36 mo/36,000 factory warranty. Just my .02.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Very interesting. I purchased a 7 year GMEPP warranty myself back in April and always assumed that it was 30 days OR 1000 miles, whichever came first. Never occurred to me that you might have to meet BOTH requirements.

I will most definitely follow this thread.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:17 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I also changed my policy and it was pretty clear to me I needed to put 1,000 miles on the car before it kicked in.

If I get a chance, I'll dig it out. I'm pretty sure it says on the paperwork at what mileage the warranty kicks in.

Sorry I just checked, it listed the mileage on the car at the time of purchase and then gives you the mm/dd/yy and mileage at which it expires. It clears states 30 days AND 1,000 miles which they give you back by adding it to the end of the contract.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 05-31-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:26 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To follow up, I did confirm with the dealer today that the waiting period does apply, unless you are still under your factory 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. So for folks outside of the factory 3/36 warranty, even if you are still under a current extended GMPP warranty, the waiting period for the GMEPP warranty is 30 days AND 1,000 miles. You need to hit both requirements to activate the new warranty, not just one.

And, Rich (above) is correct, good point. They do add the 30 days and the 1,000 miles on to the end of your contract.

Last edited by CodyC6; 05-31-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Cauhauna (06-01-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 06:09 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The only exception to the 30 days and 1,000 miles is if you purchased the GMEPP within 10 days of purchasing a used C6. Add it on later, and it's the waiting and driving game.

Last edited by beachcomber; 05-31-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Cauhauna (06-01-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

So it's fairly simple...they tell you that no claims will be honored until today's date plus 30 days and today's mileage plus 1,000 miles. No mystery here.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
To follow up, I did confirm with the dealer today that the waiting period does apply, unless you are still under your factory 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. So for folks outside of the factory 3/36 warranty, even if you are still under a current extended GMPP warranty, the waiting period for the GMEPP warranty is 30 days AND 1,000 miles. You need to hit both requirements to activate the new warranty, not just one.

And, Rich (above) is correct, good point. They do add the 30 days and the 1,000 miles on to the end of your contract.
They do add the 30 days and 1,000 miles to the end of the contract, but the problem is, you need to meet BOTH to have the contract start. So, if you take 4 months to put on 1,000 miles, you lost 3 months of your warranty. Opposite for high mileage drivers, if you put 2,000 miles on the vehicle in the first 30 days, you lost out on 1,000 miles of warranty. Really, unless you put exactly 1,000 miles on in the first 30 days, you are losing some warranty coverage. Oddly, you are losing it on the front-end and not the back end. Warranty end mileage and date never changes, there is just some period in the beginning (miles or time) where you are not covered.

For us low mileage drivers, it is an incentive to go out and put some miles on the car as quickly as possible to be covered.

Last edited by z28lt1; 05-31-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GMEPP Waiting Period

Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
So, if you take 4 months to put on 1,000 miles, you lost 3 months of your warranty.

This is where is feels a little like robbery. I understand the reason for the waiting period, but for those that put very few miles on the car, it could take much longer than a month to put on 1000 miles.

One would think that a more intelligent way of proceeding would be to have you report when you've reached the 1000 miles, then start the warranty time period henceforth, if 30 days hasn't passed already.

Then again, if warranties were a great idea that favored the consumer...well, manufacturers wouldn't offer them.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:22 AM
terrywerst
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Just drive it a bit more to hit the 1k. Not going to hurt anything by doing so.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 AM
terrywerst
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21

This is where is feels a little like robbery. I understand the reason for the waiting period, but for those that put very few miles on the car, it could take much longer than a month to put on 1000 miles.

One would think that a more intelligent way of proceeding would be to have you report when you've reached the 1000 miles, then start the warranty time period henceforth, if 30 days hasn't passed already.

Then again, if warranties were a great idea that favored the consumer...well, manufacturers wouldn't offer them.
It's added back in at the end of the warranty period.

Quick Reply: GMEPP Waiting Period