C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for the convertible owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:03 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default A question for the convertible owners

I have an honest question, not meant to say "one style is better than another", not meant to start an argument over which style is better, or anything like that, I just don't honestly understand and thought I'd ask as a "let me get to know you a little better" question.

What is the draw to a convertible vs a targa coupe?

What I mean is, as far as I can tell, the open top coupe with the top off looks and feels exactly the same (to me in the driver's seat anyway) as a convertible. I was driving to work with the top off today and was just wondering if I am missing something.

Having a glass top roof also offers the "open" feeling (even if it's bluish in color) when the top is on, which I think would be a bonus over the canvas top when up, no?

Is it the exterior look (top up and/or down), the feeling and draw the word "convertible" gives, you notice a difference in both types with the tops down in each, ease of putting top up and down in one vs the other? Personally I like the yellow convertible C5/C6 with the black top, I do like the look on that color combination.

Just curious. Thanks for helping me understand everyone's draw.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:15 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
I have an honest question, not meant to say "one style is better than another", not meant to start an argument over which style is better, or anything like that, I just don't honestly understand and thought I'd ask as a "let me get to know you a little better" question.

What is the draw to a convertible vs a targa coupe?

What I mean is, as far as I can tell, the open top coupe with the top off looks and feels exactly the same (to me in the driver's seat anyway) as a convertible. I was driving to work with the top off today and was just wondering if I am missing something.

Having a glass top roof also offers the "open" feeling (even if it's bluish in color) when the top is on, which I think would be a bonus over the canvas top when up, no?

Is it the exterior look (top up and/or down), the feeling and draw the word "convertible" gives, you notice a difference in both types with the tops down in each, ease of putting top up and down in one vs the other? Personally I like the yellow convertible C5/C6 with the black top, I do like the look on that color combination.

Just curious. Thanks for helping me understand everyone's draw.
The older you get he harder it is to take the top off on a coupe and put it in the read compartment. Also when it is off you loose a lot of space storing the top. On the other hand with the top on you gain more space for luggage etc. in a coupe. It has to be your choice!
The following users liked this post:
LifeInAVette (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:16 PM
jkirk1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't speak to comparing the coupe to the convertible, but for me, the vert was the only option. This is coming from a guy that spent the majority of his life on a motorcycle in the open air and the corvette replaced that part of my life. The wife and I want to take long weekend trips and I could only imagine it with the top down when looking for my car.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:19 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Honestly I think the convertible looks better than the coupe when the top is down. (Relatively speaking - All Corvettes look better than anything else. )

I put the top down every chance I get and really do like the open cockpit with the tonneau wrapping down behind the seats. You give up some storage, but I don't care about that.

Another thing is the convenience factor, with the power top, I can pull off to the side and hit a button to put the top up or down. With the coupe, you need to get out and store your top in the back.

I also don't like that huge greenhouse of a back window in the coupe. If they did the C6 coupe like the early C3s with a vertical removable rear window, I might like that better.

Last edited by dmk0210; 06-09-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've had both: a convertible and the removable and glass top roofs (I guess that makes three not two). For some, there is no difference. For me, there's all the difference in the world. Again, that's just me. I consider a top down convertible completely different from removing a panel while leaving everything else in place.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:21 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

1. I love the Vert. look, up or down.
2. Feels more open with the top down. i.e., no framing around you. Closest thing to the bike!
3. Targa Top is just a roof with a hole in it when removed.
4. Its a sports car.
5. Its a sports car...IT's SUPPOSE TO BE A CONVERTABLE.

You have successfully opened a can of worms, lol.

Last edited by MH663; 06-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:24 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

If you live in an area where rain showers pop up out of nowhere, a vert sure is handy to put the top up quickly. Too many times in my old coupe I'd get poured on and rush to the hatch and throw it on quickly, too quickly.

For me, a weekend toy, a roadster is the way to go. Now if was a DD, I might question that, for me at least.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by ROJ#79
The older you get he harder it is to take the top off on a coupe and put it in the read compartment...
I can totally see that. The glass top is pretty cumbersome as one piece.

Originally Posted by jkirk1
I can't speak to comparing the coupe to the convertible, but for me, the vert was the only option. This is coming from a guy that spent the majority of his life on a motorcycle in the open air and the corvette replaced that part of my life. The wife and I want to take long weekend trips and I could only imagine it with the top down when looking for my car.
Owning a motorcycle myself I can totally see your point.

Originally Posted by dmk0210
Honestly I think the convertible looks better than the coupe when the top is down. (Relatively speaking - All Corvettes look better than anything else. )

I put the top down every chance I get and really do like the open cockpit with the tonneau wrapping down behind the seats. You give up some storage, but I don't care about that.

Another thing is the convenience factor, with the power top, I can pull off to the side and hit a button to put the top up or down. With the coupe, you need to get out and store your top in the back.

I also don't like that huge greenhouse of a back window in the coupe. If they did the C6 coupe like the early C3s with a vertical removable rear window, I might like that better.
All good points I can see. I do like that sloping rear window in the coupe solely because it allows me to mount my aftermarket XM antenna in the trunk and get great reception without placing it on the external of the car).

Originally Posted by AORoads
I've had both: a convertible and the removable and glass top roofs (I guess that makes three not two). For some, there is no difference. For me, there's all the difference in the world. Again, that's just me. I consider a top down convertible completely different from removing a panel while leaving everything else in place.
I can see how some people would even have the "claustrophobic" (not the best word to describe here, but you know what I mean) feeling still with the targa removed and prefer the convertible.

Originally Posted by MH663
1. I love the Vert. look, up or down.
2. Feels more open with the top down. i.e., no framing around you. Closest thing to the bike!
3. Targa Top is just a roof with a hole in it when removed.
4. Its a sports car.
5. Its a sports car...IT's SUPPOSE TO BE A CONVERTABLE.

You have successfully opened a can of worms, lol.
Lol, the worms weren't supposed to get all over the place

Originally Posted by beachcomber
If you live in an area where rain showers pop up out of nowhere, a vert sure is handy to put the top up quickly. Too many times in my old coupe I'd get poured on and rush to the hatch and throw it on quickly, too quickly.

For me, a weekend toy, a roadster is the way to go. Now if was a DD, I might question that, for me at least.
I have been in this situation before, in both my current coupe and my old t-topped T/A. Luckily I've been at interchanges, near stores, or close to rest stops to pull in and throw the top up quickly. A powered convertible top would have been nice in those situations.

Thanks all for great responses!
Old 06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I am in a 4th of July parade this year. Convertibles are welcome. Coupes are not. Not my decision.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
I am in a 4th of July parade this year. Convertibles are welcome. Coupes are not. Not my decision.
Hard for pretty girls to sit on the back part of the roof of targas
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

It's gotta be a vert, and it's gotta be red. I can't explain it.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Freedmilk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the targa look as well as the Vert. I chose the Vert due to the ease of letting the top up and down at a moments notice. I wish they would develop a power targa somehow
Old 06-09-2016, 04:00 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jimmymac25
It's gotta be a vert, and it's gotta be red. I can't explain it.
Red??? Whatchu talkin bout?
Never owned, or been in a targa coupe with the panel off but it cannot even be close to a top down car:

Be like riding a motorcycle with all the fairing...close but no cigar.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Corvertible
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love all Corvette styles, but when I'm driving I really enjoy the full open-air feel of the convertible.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I always had a Vert. It looks like 2 different cars with top up and top down. I like driving with the top down and that way there are hardly any blind spots. The Vert is my preference and that's why they have menus. Whatever your choice you have to be happy with it.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:14 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Never owned, or been in a targa coupe with the panel off but it cannot even be close to a top down car:

BTW beautiful car
ruxvette (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 04:29 PM
blu_c6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

Get notified of new replies

To A question for the convertible owners

Old 06-09-2016, 04:45 PM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had both, 3 c6's actually, O5 convertible, 08 coupe and most recently, 06 vert. After having the 05, the 08 coupe just didn't seem quit right. Top up or down the vert just looks better in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:58 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette

rux is spot on with this one. While a targa is of course a fine choice, there is no comparison between the two. The ones that say that a targa is the same as a vert are about as bias and confused as the ones that say that an auto with paddle shifters is the same as a manual. After all....most enthusiast seem to agree that a TRUE sports car should have a top that goes up and down...LOLOL.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:06 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 3 verts right now, and they all offer a vastly different driving experience from the 2 coupes and 1 fixed-roof coupe that are also in the garage. A removable roof doesn't compare to top-down motoring.

When it comes to the C6 I do also prefer the look of the convertible with the top down, but, as always, looks are subjective:

Quick Reply: A question for the convertible owners