C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GS Convert Headliner - Remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2010 GS Convert Headliner - Remove it?

So I have a 2010 Grand Sport and the convertible top headliner is toast at 19k miles. The corners above the side windows have rips and upon inspection the string kit that holds it in place is frayed everywhere, just a matter of time before the string breaks.

I see the headliner kit for $250 mail order GM, however; the install is $5-800 around here in Chicagoland. Basically a shops polite way of saying don't bring it here but if you do we will charge you. I am not happy and the latest TSB on this is almost 30 pages and gave me a headache when I read it.

What do you guys think about just removing the headliner?
Would that be classified as ghetto move?

I look at a lot of other cars and the convertible top bows & linkage are exposed and no one ever seems to give a second look. My wife's S2000 doesn't have a headliner from the factory for example. If it is just black frame on the black top on the vette it will definitely camouflage itself. I have google'd to death this subject and cannot find any pictures of the vette with the top in place minus the headliner. I did have countless hits of people with torn liners and multiple replacements.

Looking for feedback on people that have dealt with this, thank you.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The liner does two things...it makes the interior slightly quieter and it makes the interior look a little better. Let's face it though, convertible tops have been unlined for decades in the past and things have worked out OK. My only concern with removing it would be the resale of the car. It is something that I would notice if I were looking at buying it from you and I would be asking why the liner is not there. Other than this, I don't see any big reason not to remove it in your case.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

cclive - agree on both of your points. Thanks for the feedback. Just such a poor design I will really be p/o'd if I replace and it shreds again later, kind of a waste of money.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Red89gt
cclive - agree on both of your points. Thanks for the feedback. Just such a poor design I will really be p/o'd if I replace and it shreds again later, kind of a waste of money.
And I've looked at that whole spiderweb of string that tensions it at the back...what a nightmare. I've never researched it but that whole mess looks like it would be very difficult to properly describe in the service manual. On the other hand, the company that does the C6 top is the same one that does the majority of tops on cars like Porsches, Bentleys etc...one wonders if they have similar issues.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Yep, its a German company for the convertible top if I remember right, Leer.
GM picked one of the worst in the business to outsource their top design, go figure. Ask any BMW mechanic about their tops and he will agree.

My ex had a 2006 330ci convert and the convert top was temperamental and replaced under warranty. Thankfully lease car and dumped back at 2 years.

Really considering just removing that headliner but we will see, looks terrible as is with the rips and starting to sag, have feeling the strings will break soon and force me to make a decision.

Last edited by Red89gt; 06-15-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

It also gets super hot in the car without it. Maybe one day they'll get better at constructing these tops.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, its a German company for the convertible top if I remember right, Leer.
GM picked one of the worst in the business to outsource their top design, go figure. Ask any BMW mechanic about their tops and he will agree.

My ex had a 2006 330ci convert and the convert top was temperamental and replaced under warranty. Thankfully lease car and dumped back at 2 years.

Really considering just removing that headliner but we will see, looks terrible as is with the rips and starting to sag, have feeling the strings will break soon and force me to make a decision.
I though the tops were made by Haartz?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:32 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Why not remove it, see what it is like and if you want to you can install a replacement later?

You have to remove it to replace it anyway right?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

So I have a 2010 Grand Sport and the convertible top headliner is toast at 19k miles. The corners above the side windows have rips and upon inspection the string kit that holds it in place is frayed everywhere, just a matter of time before the string breaks.

I see the headliner kit for $250 mail order GM, however; the install is $5-800 around here in Chicagoland. Basically a shops polite way of saying don't bring it here but if you do we will charge you. I am not happy and the latest TSB on this is almost 30 pages and gave me a headache when I read it.

What do you guys think about just removing the headliner?
Would that be classified as ghetto move?

I look at a lot of other cars and the convertible top bows & linkage are exposed and no one ever seems to give a second look. My wife's S2000 doesn't have a headliner from the factory for example. If it is just black frame on the black top on the vette it will definitely camouflage itself. I have google'd to death this subject and cannot find any pictures of the vette with the top in place minus the headliner. I did have countless hits of people with torn liners and multiple replacements.

Looking for feedback on people that have dealt with this, thank you.
There was a thread on the forum of an owner that replaced the convertible top. It was well written with lot's of pics as well. Maybe that may help you.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...easy-pics.html

The manual portion, just for the convertible top alone is in excess of 280 pages, so it does indeed look challenging.

Good Luck
Old 06-16-2016, 11:05 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cauhauna
I though the tops were made by Haartz?
They make the fabric.
The following users liked this post:
Cauhauna (06-17-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

The Riggs Brothers in Saint Charles where I live had knowledge of the repair process from when they used to fix them for the local dealer when the cars were still under warranty. He said the guy that did them still worked for him and would be doing the repair. They also found a broken cable on the one side which I am surprised the top held tension as well as it did. They are doing the TSB fixing the trim, frame and hardware & installing the new headliner. That cable is $47 and will be another $15 to ship next day, took it in stride, it is my typical luck lol. I am glad they found it and I want all repairs done while they are in there so I just said no problem and go ahead and get it. I might have the car back on Friday, see how it goes. Will be great if they solve the production design errors and I never have to deal with it again.

In the process of selling house and moving out of IL-is-stan really happy I found this guy with all knowledge of the issues with the top that GM left for us to address and a reasonable price to repair. 20K miles and it snarfed a headliner and broke a cable, not very good longevity.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 GS Convert Headliner - Remove it?

Quick Reply: 2010 GS Convert Headliner - Remove it?