C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hip pain

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 AM
gordo46
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hip pain

after owning my 2013 GS, 3LT, for only a few months I am really disappointed that it seems after only short drives I'm having fairly severe left hip pain. As a result I've found that after several days of not driving my Vette, and taking some Advils, my hip will feel good enough to drive again and the same thing happens. My side and front bolsters are possibly worn (just 16K on the odometer), but rather than having to have my seats rebuilt I'm hoping that someone has a better alternative/recommendation about possible seat adjustments etc. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:07 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

I've seen some threads regarding seat foam replacement kits that are fairly inexpensive and better engineered than the factory seats. If not interested in DYI, the costs people were quoting for upholstery shops to do the work was not bad. I would check it out if I were you.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gordo46
after owning my 2013 GS, 3LT, for only a few months I am really disappointed that it seems after only short drives I'm having fairly severe left hip pain. As a result I've found that after several days of not driving my Vette, and taking some Advils, my hip will feel good enough to drive again and the same thing happens. My side and front bolsters are possibly worn (just 16K on the odometer), but rather than having to have my seats rebuilt I'm hoping that someone has a better alternative/recommendation about possible seat adjustments etc. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Is your GS an auto or a manual? Do you use the dead pedal to press your foot against and stretch your leg? I find that helps a ton.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:51 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

I'm surprised you are having that problem, because the 2013 3LT seats are supposed to be improved as compared to the earlier C6's seats. You don't have your wallet in a back pocket I hope?
Old 06-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
I'm surprised you are having that problem, because the 2013 3LT seats are supposed to be improved as compared to the earlier C6's seats. You don't have your wallet in a back pocket I hope?
That's what I was thinking Carl.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
Is your GS an auto or a manual? Do you use the dead pedal to press your foot against and stretch your leg? I find that helps a ton.
I think we need more information.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:35 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Hello Gordo,

It could be that when you are getting into the Vette you are stressing your hip in the process. Try backing up to the seat, squat down keeping weight on both legs. Once seated, then swivel to get both legs in. Do the opposite when exiting. Putting some Meguires Rich Leather dressing on the seat will make it easier to swivel around. Also at www.brookstone.com they sell a memory foam cushion for about 49 bucks and it has good reviews. Lord bless you, Monte
Old 06-20-2016, 02:39 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by montman
Hello Gordo,

It could be that when you are getting into the Vette you are stressing your hip in the process. Try backing up to the seat, squat down keeping weight on both legs. Once seated, then swivel to get both legs in. Do the opposite when exiting. Putting some Meguires Rich Leather dressing on the seat will make it easier to swivel around. Also at www.brookstone.com they sell a memory foam cushion for about 49 bucks and it has good reviews. Lord bless you, Monte
That's the way I get in my GS and sure not having any hip pain!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Here's a novel idea.

How old are you? Maybe you're seeing the beginnings of a hip problem from some medical condition.

The Corvette could just be bringing the problem to the forefront, where other vehicles are not . . . yet.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:48 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Yep...the C-6 seats are C@#P regardless of what year. While the later C-6s have a little better seats, but they still leave much to be desired. this has always been a complaint from the get go with our beloved C-6's. I'm sure some good ol fashion research will let you come up with something that may help out. Let us know what you find and if it helps.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:02 PM
astaggs
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned vettes since 1983 and have found that on longer rides I fold a towel and sit on that and it gets your hips above the side bolsters and does not pinch. I have went for 22 hours straight and the towel is perfect for the pain relief
Old 06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

If you're carrying your wallet in a back pocket while driving, that's sure to cause hip & back pain!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:17 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

I also have a 2013 GS, 3LT, 6 speed manual. Just as an fyi, I am 56 y.o., 6'2 and about 230 lbs, with a 34" inseam. Fortunately have no back, hip or knee issues yet.

I find the seats really comfortable. I have the thigh portion of the seat tilted up almost all the way and the butt portion all the way down. Then I slide it forward so I can reach the pedals easily. This puts more pressure on the back of the seat, a bend in my knees, and supports my thighs.

However, I had read so much about the C6 seats I already was worried when I bought the car and started checking out the seats. I noticed at that time there is a loop of material at the back of each side bolster . . . . and you can actually recline the seatback, and then feel all the way inside the seat, along the bolster but under the leather, from that loop.

Perhaps you can squeeze some extra cushioning, where your hip is rubbing, into that opening, without paying to have the whole seat redone or buy an external cushion. I have no idea if that would work as I didn't need it . . . but check it out.

Good luck . . . its a fun car.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Sounds more like sciatic pain, at least that's what I feel when ANYTHING presses against my left hip area. I release all of the bolsters air to keep it at a minimum but as they say there are good and bad days. and when its bad day I simply cant drive the Vette, or any other thing that presses that area. I call it the "TOO FRIKIN OLD" Syndrome, I try to remedy it with tramadol and Advil, lots of both
Old age aint for pussies
NSF
Old 06-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

No Dr but sounds like sciatic nerve pain.. comes and goes with me and doesn't make any difference what I sit in.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It is the right hip for me. Cause seems to be spreading my leg to the side when driving with cruise control engaged. Long legs and steering wheel interference.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Here's a novel idea.

How old are you? Maybe you're seeing the beginnings of a hip problem from some medical condition.

The Corvette could just be bringing the problem to the forefront, where other vehicles are not . . . yet.
Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Sounds more like sciatic pain, at least that's what I feel when ANYTHING presses against my left hip area. I release all of the bolsters air to keep it at a minimum but as they say there are good and bad days. and when its bad day I simply cant drive the Vette, or any other thing that presses that area. I call it the "TOO FRIKIN OLD" Syndrome, I try to remedy it with tramadol and Advil, lots of both
Old age aint for pussies
NSF
Originally Posted by Dub Mc
No Dr but sounds like sciatic nerve pain.. comes and goes with me and doesn't make any difference what I sit in.
I guess you guys missed my post, #9, copied in red above. ^

Get notified of new replies

To hip pain

Old 06-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Ya better get a prescription full of oxycontin or just sell the damn thing. It's an age thing, it's why a lot old dudes get rid of their vettes. I love mine, I'm 35, but I've done a lot of damage to myself, I drive my old Taurus because it's so much less painful to drive.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:30 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

I have a right hip problem, but it came from flying off a steep hill on my mountain bike last week. Went airborne, lost control....then came the thud. Now it hurts when I sit in the Vette.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:22 PM
gordo46
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hip pain

Thanks for all the input, and here's more info. Yes sir, I am old (70), but in good physical condition for my age and very active. Bruze could certainly be correct in his diagnosis, but I sure hope I'm not too old to enjoy my first vette, just don't want to accept that.
I'm 6' tall, 185 lbs, I carry my money clip in my front pocket, and my GS is an automatic. After reading some previous forum threads, I am now entering and exiting in the manner jrose7004 was nice enough to mention. I will, however, try some leather conditioner to make it a bit easier to turn.
I do use the dead petal some, but probably need to use it more. I appreciate the comments by CSF, and will for sure try some of his recommended seat adjustments. I'm hoping that a different angle might make a difference. I also tend to drive with the seat back all the way, and very possibly it might help for me to come forward some to have a bend in my legs.
I hope some of these thoughts from you will make a difference, but if not I would be willing to invest in having a professional upholsterer improve my seats. Just sort of hesitant about that now, not knowing for sure that it would be a solution.
I appreciate all of your comments and would welcome more. Thanks from an old dude who just loves his vette and really wants to enjoy it.

Quick Reply: hip pain